The Doctor's Clinical Diary_29-The Time of the Stopped Pons

 The Time of the Stopped Pons

Prologue: The Weight of Fifteen Years

I am Kim Junho, a doctor who has been wearing a white coat for fifteen years in the Neurology Department of a general hospital. The weight of those fifteen years has become a familiar weariness and an intuition that allows me to grasp the key to a diagnosis simply by looking into a patient's eyes. While I have faced countless human sufferings, every new patient's story has a strange power to make my worn-out heart beat again.

We neurologists are often like explorers lost in the universe of the brain. Each nerve is an unknown galaxy, and the symptoms that arise when their function stops or connects incorrectly are like the scream of the cosmos. Especially tragedies born from human carelessness and the subtlety of biological balance, like Central Pontine Myelinolysis (CPM), remain as a bitter lesson deep in my heart.

This disease, which involves the destruction of the myelin sheath surrounding the nerve fibers in the pons—the command center of life in the brainstem—often appears unexpectedly during treatment processes that are either discovered too late or are too aggressive. The irony of this illness, which frequently occurs in patients with chronic alcoholism, is that the therapeutic action believed to be 'salvation' actually triggers a 'catastrophe'.

Today, I revisit the desperate medical record of a young man. His story will serve as a warning and a message of hope to all medical staff, and to everyone who lives unaware of this danger. This is the most agonizing, yet simultaneously the most humane, clinical diary of my fifteenth year—a record dedicated to the balance of life and recovery.

"The Doctor's Clinical Diary" is not merely a record of curing diseases, but a record of the time spent confronting the human soul through those diseases.


Chapter 1: Twenty-Six, The Stopped Speech 

1. A Call from the Emergency Room 

"Professor Kim, the Emergency Room is calling. A 26-year-old male patient. The main symptoms are a bit unusual. Dysarthria, apathy, and horizontal nystagmus are observed". The resident's voice on the phone was tense. Sudden neurological symptoms in a young man of 26. I immediately thought of an infectious or metabolic problem rather than a common stroke or trauma. Rushing out of my office, I quickly reorganized the key chart information in my head.

2. The Shadow of a Young Life 

The patient, Mr. Lee Hyunsu (pseudonym), lay pale on the emergency room bed. His eyes were unfocused, and his mother was holding his hand with tear-soaked hands. "Mother, I am Kim Junho, the attending neurologist. Let me examine your son's condition". Hyunsu's mother spoke with a hoarse voice. "Doctor... for the past few days, his speech has been strange (dysarthria), his eyes keep twitching to the side (horizontal nystagmus), and he has no strength at all. He... actually has a history of chronic alcohol abuse".

The moment I heard those words, a blaring danger signal went off in my head. Chronic alcoholism. This is a powerful risk factor for a specific neurological complication, the most devastating of which is Osmotic Demyelination Syndrome. "What are the blood test results?" I asked the resident. "Serum sodium level is 137 mmol/L, serum osmolality is 287 mOsm/kg. Other clinical test values are currently within the normal range".

While the sodium level was currently normal, the patient's past medical history and current symptoms strongly suggested a severe 'past' event. I knew that Central Pontine Myelinolysis (CPM) occurs when hyponatremia (low sodium levels) is corrected too rapidly. Hyunsu must have experienced a severe electrolyte imbalance just before or prior to arriving at the emergency room, and it was highly probable that someone had tried to restore that balance too quickly.

3. The Silence of the Pons 

"Hyunsu, can you hear me? Can you blink your eyes?". He blinked with effort. As a doctor, I needed to focus on his symptoms, but witnessing a person's life come to a standstill was always painful.

Dysarthria is a clear sign of brainstem damage, particularly to the pons. The brainstem, in addition to basic life-sustaining functions like respiration and heart rate, is where crucial neural pathways controlling swallowing, speaking, eye movement, and limb movement pass through. "Mother, were there any other symptoms? Trouble swallowing, or any weakness in his arms and legs in the past few days...".

The mother lowered her head. "A few days ago, he often choked while drinking water. I just thought he was tired...". I let out a long sigh. Any further delay was dangerous.

"We must perform an MRI immediately. Central Pontine Myelinolysis (CPM) is strongly suspected. This is a disease that causes fatal damage to the pons. Fast and accurate diagnosis is essential". I struggled with how to deliver the cruel truth to Hyunsu's mother, whose eyes were filled with anxiety—that there is no specific treatment for this disease and that we must rely mainly on supportive care. Since prevention is key, if it has already occurred, all that remains is patient rehabilitation and time for recovery.

4. The MRI Warning 

A moment later, Hyunsu's brain MRI images were spread out before me.

  • Image A (T1-weighted image): Low signal intensity visible in the center of the pons.
  • Image B (T2-weighted image): A distinct and high signal intensity visible in the same area.

I let out a deep sigh as I looked at the red arrow pointing to the central pontine lesion on the screen. It was the classic radiological finding for Central Pontine Myelinolysis (CPM). The lesion, shining white in the center of the pons as if a heart had stopped, was the trace of the destroyed nerve cell myelin sheath.

"The diagnosis is confirmed. Mr. Lee Hyunsu has Central Pontine Myelinolysis. Severe symptoms such as spastic quadriparesis and pseudobulbar palsy may occur in the patient within two to five days. Time is of the essence now".

I looked at his mother. The shadow cast over her face was the same as the weight of the permanent disability that was about to befall her young son. But a doctor cannot succumb to despair.

"Mother, do not give up hope. CPM is a frightening disease, but through management, we can minimize the symptoms and recover lost function through rehabilitation. We will do our absolute best".


Chapter 2: The Five-Day Tragedy and the Destruction of Balance 

1. Rigidity Brought by Silence 

Five days had passed since the diagnosis. Despite my strong warning from the emergency room, Hyunsu's condition was following the exact path we had feared. The young body of the 26-year-old was now betraying its owner's will.

I entered Hyunsu's room. His mother had not left his bedside. I nodded as a greeting, then carefully examined Hyunsu's arms and legs. Spastic quadriparesis had begun. His limbs were rigid, and when I tried to move them according to my intention, there was intense muscular resistance. It was a typical Upper Motor Neuron symptom resulting from damage to the motor nerve pathways descending from the brain to the muscles.

"Mother, his arms and legs have become very stiff. The quadriparesis, one of the symptoms we predicted, is progressing". The mother weakly nodded. "Doctor... since yesterday, he can't speak at all. His facial expression is... very strange, too".

I examined Hyunsu's face. His facial muscles were frozen, and emotional expression seemed almost impossible. The ability to swallow also seemed completely paralyzed. This was the manifestation of Pseudobulbar Palsy.

This paralysis, which results from bilateral damage to the pons (superior to the medulla) rather than the medulla itself, plunges the patient into a desperate state. Watching the young soul who could not speak, swallow, or naturally express emotion—only blink his eyes—I felt a profound sense of helplessness.

2. The Doctor’s Confession: The Paradox of Balance

I escorted the mother to the consultation room at the end of the hallway. It was time to frankly explain the essence of the disease.

"Mother, this disease is Central Pontine Myelinolysis (CPM). It is a neurological disorder where the myelin sheath surrounding the nerve fibers in the pons—the most critical part of the brainstem—is destroyed". I drew a simple picture of the brain and a cross-section of the myelin sheath on the whiteboard. "This myelin sheath is like the insulation on an electrical wire (nerve fiber). When this insulation is damaged, nerve impulse transmission is hindered, leading to symptoms like paralysis and dysarthria".

The mother tightly held a handkerchief. "Why... why did this have to happen to my child? Is it because of the alcoholism?".

"Chronic alcoholism is an important risk factor, but it is not the direct cause. CPM is primarily caused by a sudden change in serum sodium levels, specifically when hyponatremia is corrected too quickly. Individuals like Hyunsu, who have poor nutritional status due to prolonged alcohol abuse or who have liver disease, are very susceptible to electrolyte imbalance".

I paused and continued. "At some point in the past, which would have been difficult for you to know, Hyunsu must have suffered from severe hyponatremia. And when someone, or he himself, tried to normalize the sodium levels too quickly, the brain cells were exposed to osmotic shock. As a result, the sensitive cells of the pons were damaged. The irony is that the 'rapid correction' intended to save his life actually caused this fatal neurological disorder. This is the tragedy of Osmotic Demyelination Syndrome".

3. Supportive Care and the Prediction of Long Rehabilitation

The mother was speechless, sobbing. The most difficult moment for a doctor is when you have to talk about 'what ifs' after the disease has already taken hold. "Doctor, then the treatment... can it not be cured?".

I quietly shook my head. "I will be honest with you. Currently, there is no specific pharmacological treatment for Central Pontine Myelinolysis treatment. Our role now is to focus on supportive care. We will prevent complications and buy time for Hyunsu's brain to recover on its own".

I explained the concrete plan. "Since he cannot swallow food on his own due to pseudobulbar palsy, the insertion of a nasogastric tube for nutritional support is essential. We must strictly maintain appropriate hydration and electrolyte balance. And the most important thing to start right now is rehabilitation therapy. We need to relieve muscle rigidity and restore lost function through physical therapy".

The prognosis of CPM is difficult to predict. While there are cases of full recovery, permanent neurological disability can also remain. Hyunsu is still young and has remaining recovery potential. My clinical experience whispered to me not to give up hope.

"Mother, this will be a long fight. But our medical team will not let go of Hyunsu's hand. Rehabilitation therapy can be painful and slow, but if we do not give up, the light will certainly appear. Together, we will help Hyunsu walk and speak again. The most important thing is your dedicated support. We must all become facilitators to help Hyunsu's myelin sheath heal itself".

The mother wiped her tears and said with difficulty. "Yes... Doctor. I will do everything I can".

Leaving the consultation room, I resolved to carefully record this young patient's tragic story in my clinical diary, so that it could become a case containing the most moving medical knowledge that warns against the dangers of chronic alcoholism and electrolyte correction.


Chapter 3: Rehabilitation, A Small Movement Blossoming in Despair 

1. The Silent Room and the Weight of Time

Two weeks had passed since the diagnosis of Central Pontine Myelinolysis (CPM) and Hyunsu was trapped in the desperate symptoms of spastic quadriparesis and pseudobulbar palsy. The room was filled with palpable tension and silence. I stood by Hyunsu's side during every daily round.

Outwardly, his condition seemed unchanged. He still could not speak, could not swallow on his own, and his limbs were rigid. However, to a neurologist, 'no change' means 'no regression,' which is grounds for long-term hope. The eternal prognosis of a patient cannot be hastily judged by the acute-stage symptoms of this disease. The brain has an astonishing ability to heal itself, and neural circuits can be reorganized in the very place where the myelin sheath was destroyed. I focused all treatment on this small possibility.

"Mother, how was physical therapy today?". "Doctor... my son is in so much pain. I feel like his eyes are telling me his muscles hurt. But just as you said, there's no hope without rehabilitation... so I'm enduring it".

The mother's face was drawn from sleepless nights of care and despair. I held her hand and gave her strength. This is the essence of medical human stories. We must embrace not only the patient fighting the illness but also the suffering and endurance of the family watching over them.

2. A Small Sign, Great Hope 

That afternoon, the team leader in charge of Hyunsu's rehabilitation therapy urgently sought me out. Though he was covered in sweat, his eyes shone with a strange excitement. "Professor! A very subtle but important change has been detected in Hyunsu!". "Explain in detail," I immediately showed interest.

"His quadriparesis was so severe that moving a single finger was difficult, but today, when I instructed him to 'move your right thumb,' I saw a very slight... twitching movement. And more importantly, when I called his name, his eyes seemed to follow my target without horizontal nystagmus".

Dysarthria and horizontal nystagmus were the main symptoms Hyunsu exhibited when he first visited. Horizontal nystagmus signifies the loss of eye movement coordination due to pons damage. If this movement could be controlled, even slightly, to follow a target, it was clear evidence that the brainstem function was recovering, little by little. The prognosis of CPM often begins with such small changes.

I immediately headed to Hyunsu's room. "Hyunsu. Listen carefully. I will show you my finger. Follow it with your eyes". I slowly moved my finger left and right. Hyunsu's eyes were still slow and labored, but the meaningless twitching of horizontal nystagmus that he had yesterday had disappeared, and a faint intention to track my finger was visible.

"Well done, Hyunsu. Very well done. Now, this is a difficult request, but put strength into your right thumb and try to move it". Hyunsu frowned as if concentrating all his strength. And almost imperceptibly, his right thumb trembled and 'twitched' slightly upward. It was like a small bubble barely rising to the surface from deep underwater.

3. The Lesson of Medical Knowledge: Prevention is the Cure 

I explained the significance of this small change to Hyunsu's mother. "Mother, this could be the beginning of a miracle. CPM is a terrifying disease, but with supportive care and persistent rehabilitation therapy, the brain inevitably responds. This subtle movement is evidence that the brain is forming new neural circuits around the destroyed myelin sheath".

We decided to intensify the rehabilitation therapy to seize this small hope. But at the same time, I knew I could not forget the lesson of this case.

"Mother, Hyunsu's case is a major warning to everyone. Patients with chronic alcohol abuse must be especially careful with electrolyte management. Preventing CPM is far more important than treating it, and when correcting sodium levels, especially in high-risk individuals, the change must be gradual and carefully monitored. A sudden change can create an irreversible pontine lesion like this".

I realized that my role was to convey medical knowledge to Hyunsu's mother, not merely offer comfort. His suffering could become a prevention guideline that saves someone else's life.

My footsteps leaving the room were no longer heavy. Although Hyunsu was still suffering from dysarthria and quadriparesis, his spirit had begun to move. The fifteen years of clinical experience had taught me that human will and the resilience of life are far greater than the medical knowledge we possess. I will now accompany Hyunsu on his long journey of recovery.


Chapter 4: Non-Verbal Communication, The Wall of Rehabilitation 

1. New Environment, Unchanging Struggle

Hyunsu completed his acute care and was transferred to a rehabilitation hospital for specialized rehabilitation therapy. My role was to continuously monitor his condition as his primary physician and coordinate his long-term treatment plan. Although the room had changed and the environment was different, Hyunsu and his mother's struggle with Central Pontine Myelinolysis (CPM) was still ongoing.

Hyunsu's condition was 'desperate but stable'. The spastic quadriparesis persisted, and the muscles throughout his body stiffened against his will. Due to pseudobulbar palsy, he still could not utter a sound, and all nutrition was supplied through a nasogastric tube. The rehabilitation team carried out intensive physical therapy and occupational therapy every day. His muscles cried out, but the fact that he could not express that pain verbally drove Hyunsu into deeper frustration. I, too, could read the burning agony in his eyes.

2. The Birth of Non-Verbal Communication

For a patient with pseudobulbar palsy, the greatest despair is being cut off from the outside world. Hyunsu's intellect was intact, but the only channels to express that intelligence to the world—speech, facial expressions, and movement—were paralyzed. His mother tried desperately to break this wall of isolation. And we created a communication rule.

"Hyunsu, if you can hear me, blink once. If you are in pain, blink twice". This became Hyunsu's sole language to express 'yes,' 'no,' and 'pain'.

One day, his mother said to me with tears welling up. "Doctor, today I asked my son, 'Do you... regret that things turned out like this?' And Hyunsu blinked twice. That meant pain. But then I asked again, 'Do you resent me for trying to stop you from drinking?' And he didn't blink even once. And when I asked for the last time... 'Do you want to hold hands and walk with your mother again?' Hyunsu blinked... blinked... countless times".

It was not just simple blinking. It was the cry of Hyunsu's soul, breaking through the shell of language and muscle, and his powerful will for recovery.

I held Hyunsu's hand. "Hyunsu, your mother is right. We all believe you can walk and speak again. CPM caused fatal neurological damage to the brainstem, but your will is stronger than any disease. Our medical team will do our best with supportive care to help you achieve nerve recovery on your own".

3. The Doctor's Concern and the Weight of Responsibility

As a doctor, I must give the patient hope for recovery, but I must also not hide the realistic prognosis. A significant number of CPM patients are left with severe quadriparesis or can even die. Hyunsu's youth was a positive factor, but no one could predict what the end of this long rehabilitation would be.

I took out his MRI image again. The pontine lesion shining brightly with T2 signal intensity. How much of that destroyed myelin sheath could truly be restored?.

The concern over the rapid correction of hyponatremia, the root cause of CPM, constantly troubled me. During the initial treatment, someone must have tried to correct Hyunsu's hyponatremia too quickly. The fact that a momentary error in judgment by the medical staff—in the face of a disease where prevention is key—had brought a young man's life to a halt weighed heavily on me with an enormous sense of responsibility.

Writing this clinical diary, I hoped that Hyunsu's suffering would become a painful lesson for the medical community. We must not forget that electrolyte correction is a life-saving act, yet a dangerous process that can cause osmotic shock. I needed to constantly emphasize the importance of more cautious and gradual sodium correction for high-risk patients, such as those with chronic alcoholism. Hyunsu's blinking was not just communication; it was a cry demanding deeper responsibility from me.


Chapter 5: A Faint Voice, Revived Will 

1. A Subtle Sound Breaking the Silence 

Two months had passed since the transfer to the rehabilitation hospital. Every morning, I checked Hyunsu's chart, trying not to miss even the slightest change. Central Pontine Myelinolysis (CPM) was a disease that demanded patience and time from the patient.

That day, when I visited Hyunsu's room as usual, his mother greeted me with a look of emotion. "Doctor! This morning, it was a very small sound, but he let out a sound like 'uh-huh'. Because of his dysarthria, he couldn't even make a sound from his throat, let alone speak...".

My heart leaped. The return of voluntary vocalization in a patient with pseudobulbar palsy was a decisive sign that the neural circuits controlling speech in the brainstem, especially the pons, were beginning to recover through rehabilitation therapy and the power of time. This was a greater breakthrough than the small movement when the horizontal nystagmus disappeared.

I approached Hyunsu. "Hyunsu, if you can hear me, make an 'Ah' sound. As loud as you can". Hyunsu clenched his eyes shut, as if gathering all his strength. His facial muscles were still rigid, but his lips moved slightly. And finally, a very faint, low sound of 'Aaah...' escaped from deep in his throat, like a scratch.

2. Breaking the Barrier of Paralysis

The recovery of vocalization gave Hyunsu immense mental motivation. He could now convey his will to the world not only with blinks but also with subtle sounds. This small success fueled his will to overcome the spastic quadriparesis.

During physical therapy sessions, Hyunsu was much more active than before. His muscles were still stiff, but instead of forcing strength, we continued the training to repeatedly inject the signal 'I can move' into his brain. It was a process of encouraging the nerve fibers around the myelin sheath destroyed by CPM to create new detours.

"Hyunsu, now lift your wrist, not just your finger. You can do it". At the encouragement of the therapist, Hyunsu gritted his teeth. And his right wrist resisted gravity, rising just slightly, about 1 centimeter, into the air. He soon lost strength and it fell with a thud, but that 1 centimeter of movement was a massive piece of evidence of hope for everyone gathered in the therapy room.

"Look at this, Mother! Hyunsu's brain is overcoming the paralysis ! Such spontaneous muscle recovery in patients with Central Pontine Myelinolysis is truly encouraging". I met the mother's eyes and spoke. The young life, once overshadowed by chronic alcohol abuse, was overcoming a desperate neurological disorder through his own will and rehabilitation therapy.

3. Human Recovery Beyond Alcoholism

Behind all this recovery was Hyunsu's internal struggle. The fact that the fundamental cause of CPM was hyponatremia resulting from chronic alcohol abuse added significant ethical weight to his recovery.

One day, his mother cautiously asked me. "Doctor, if Hyunsu gets healthy again, will he possibly... go back to the way he was?".

I answered firmly. "Mother, medically, the electrolyte correction issue that caused CPM has been resolved. But alcoholism is a disease that requires treatment, not just a habit. The suffering Hyunsu is going through now must have been the most valuable lesson of his life. He will not return to that path".

I also asked Hyunsu, through blinking. "Hyunsu, will you quit drinking for the rest of your life?". Hyunsu blinked once with all his strength. 'Yes'.

At this moment, I was deeply moved by the fact that I was not merely a doctor who succeeded in Central Pontine Myelinolysis treatment, but a facilitator who contributed to the recovery of a soul. The medical human stories are not just about curing the disease; they are a record of the patient recovering their attitude towards life and their will. Hyunsu received an opportunity to completely change his life through this disease.

I was convinced that this case would be serialized on Naver Blog and Google Blogspot, becoming medical knowledge and a moving human story that provides a warning to those at risk and hope to desperate patients. His recovery would be a powerful message to the world about the importance of prevention.


Chapter 6: The First Outing, and the Two Syllables of 'Mom

1. Shedding the Cloak of Silence

Three months after the diagnosis of Central Pontine Myelinolysis (CPM), Hyunsu's room was filled with hope. Rehabilitation therapy was working miracles. The spastic quadriparesis still remained, but his muscle strength and coordination had recovered enough for him to operate a wheelchair with the help of a physical therapist. The pseudobulbar palsy and severe dysarthria that had driven him to despair were also markedly improving.

I complimented Hyunsu on his recovery. "Hyunsu, your brain is responding to your will. The nerves around the myelin sheath damaged by CPM have paved a new path. This is a medical victory and your personal human victory".

Finally, Hyunsu's first outing was approved. It was the day he could breathe the air of the world he had only seen through the hospital room window for three months. His mother tidied Hyunsu up from early morning, her eyes welling up with tears.

2. The World from a Wheelchair

On the rooftop garden of the rehabilitation hospital, Hyunsu sat in a wheelchair, basking in the warm sunshine. The outside air, which he inhaled after three months, must have felt like the fragrance of life. His mother kept smiling by his side. It was the moment when light finally found their lives, which had been trapped under the dark shadow of chronic alcohol abuse.

I quietly spoke to Hyunsu. "Hyunsu, the outside air is good, isn't it? Your pons is recovering its function now. But for complete recovery, consistent supportive care and rehabilitation therapy will still be necessary. Do not forget that you must completely break free from alcoholism".

Hyunsu tried to nod, but his neck muscles were still not free, so his upper body only moved slightly. But his eyes were clear and full of certainty. I explained to his mother once again why this CPM case was important. "Hyunsu's case contains the most important medical knowledge that calls for caution during electrolyte correction for all patients with hyponatremia, especially high-risk individuals. It is living proof of how a sudden osmotic shock can cause fatal neurological damage. We will continuously record Hyunsu's recovery process to publicize the importance of prevention".

3. The Miracle of Three Letters

Before returning to the room from the rooftop garden, Hyunsu suddenly writhed his body, desperately trying to express something. Full sentences were still impossible due to dysarthria, but he struggled to move his lips and tongue muscles to make a faint sound. The mother focused on her son's lip movements with a worried face. "Hyunsu, what is it? Water? Are you thirsty?".

Hyunsu vigorously shook his head. Tears welled up in his eyes. It was the frustration of not being able to properly express his will.

I instructed Hyunsu to breathe slowly. "Slowly, Hyunsu. One syllable at a time, make a sound slowly". Hyunsu took a deep breath and opened his mouth again. It was a voice that scratched and cracked, but to his mother's ears, it was the most beautiful music.

"M... om." 

It was indistinct, but it was three clear letters. It was the first word directed at his mother, breaking the three months of silence that pseudobulbar palsy had suppressed.

The mother sank down right there and wailed. The tears were a mix of joy, emotion, and regret for the painful days they had gone through. Watching them, I realized anew the weight and value of this profession. We are not just curing diseases; we are restoring human lives and relationships.

I quietly closed the door of the room and left. Central Pontine Myelinolysis still left a scar on him, but Hyunsu had begun to communicate with the world again, stepping over this fatal pontine lesion. His recovery was slow but certain, and my "The Doctor's Clinical Diary" was now writing a new chapter of hope.


Epilogue: Finding Balance 

1. Discharge, A Door to a New Beginning 

The day Hyunsu left the hospital, the sky was dazzlingly clear. Six months after the diagnosis of Central Pontine Myelinolysis (CPM), it was the end of a long struggle that began in the midst of desperate spastic quadriparesis and pseudobulbar palsy.

He was still not perfectly recovered. Dysarthria remained, making his speech unclear, and he had to walk with a cane, but he had completely shed the past self who had relied on a wheelchair. On Hyunsu's face as he completed the discharge procedures, a shadow of deep reflection was cast alongside the anticipation for a new life.

His mother repeatedly thanked me, holding my hand. "Doctor... thank you so much. That my son can speak again and walk on his own feet... it is thanks to your supportive care and rehabilitation therapy".

I smiled and looked at Hyunsu. "Hyunsu, your recovery is a miracle created solely by your will and your mother's dedicated love. My role was just to guide the way. CPM caused you pain, but your nerve recovery power and will to live proved stronger than that".

2. The Doctor's Reflection: Prevention and Introspection 

Hyunsu's case remained the most important clinical record of my fifteen years as a doctor. His recovery was a joy, but his suffering became a painful lesson that constantly warned against the medical team's carelessness.

I strongly advocated for changes in the hospital's electrolyte correction protocol through this case. The guideline was strengthened to gradually and carefully monitor the change in serum sodium levels when correcting hyponatremia in high-risk individuals such as those with chronic alcoholism or malnutrition. This was because we had learned the hard way that acute osmotic shock causes a pontine lesion, leading to the fatal neurological disorder of CPM.

Prevention was far more important than CPM treatment. In order not to let Hyunsu's misfortune be in vain, we elevated his record into medical knowledge and serialized it on Naver Blog and Google Blogspot under the title "The Doctor's Clinical Diary". This writing garnered a great response as a moving medical human story that warned readers worldwide about the subtlety of electrolyte balance and the dangers of alcohol abuse.

3. The Time of the Stopped Pons, Flowing Again

A few months later, I met Hyunsu again at a rehabilitation symposium. He could now walk on his own without a cane, and his dysarthria was so improved that it was barely noticeable, allowing for short conversations. He smiled brightly when he saw me and said.

"Professor Kim. I am now... a completely different person from my former self. The path of chronic alcohol abuse I walked caused fatal damage to my brain (pontine lesion), but through this illness, I learned the preciousness of balance. That the most important things in life are balance and the will to recover".

His words were a perfect sentence and the cry of a soul that had overcome Central Pontine Myelinolysis. Through this young patient's journey of tragedy and recovery, I realized anew that my mission as a doctor goes beyond merely diagnosing diseases and prescribing medicine—it is about helping patients regain the balance and hope in their lives.

I will wear my white coat and head to the neurology ward tomorrow. The clinical diary of my sixteenth year will be filled with another patient's story, but "The Time of the Stopped Pons" will forever remain the most thoughtful and moving record etched into my life as a doctor.

-       The end -

Return to the first page

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3