A Physician’s Clinical Diary-Episode 47: A Lonely Flower in the Crevices of the Mind(4)
120 Days Fighting the Solitary
Fibrous Tumour of the Dura
[Closure (Gyeol): In the End, Life Carries On]
The One-Year MRI
The one-year postoperative MRI carries symbolic gravity in neurosurgical
oncology. For patients treated for Dural Solitary Fibrous Tumour (SFT),
it marks the fragile transition from survival to cautious stability.
Minseo entered my clinic with steady steps. There was no tremor in her
voice, no forced optimism—only quiet acceptance.
“Doctor,” she said gently, “Whatever happens today… Thank you for giving
me this year.”
Her statement lingered in the air like a prayer whispered too early.
The MRI machine hummed as it captured the internal geography of her
brain—the same landscape that once housed a hypervascular brain tumor
threatening her life.
Minutes later, I reviewed the images.
Axial section.
Coronal section.
Contrast-enhanced sequences.
Clear.
Perfectly clear.
No tumor recurrence.
No vascular regrowth.
No structural compromise.
I felt something unexpected—an emotion bordering on disbelief.
Even after thousands of surgical hours, clean scans still felt miraculous.
I turned toward her slowly.
“Minseo… your brain is completely free of Dural Solitary Fibrous Tumour
recurrence.”
Her lips parted slightly, but no sound came.
Then tears rolled silently down her cheeks.
Her husband grasped her hand tightly, whispering,
“We made it… We really made it.”
The Meaning of Cure
Medical literature defines cure cautiously when discussing rare brain
tumors such as Solitary Fibrous Tumour of the Dura. Even after successful
gross total resection and clean follow-up imaging, lifelong surveillance
remains standard.
Minseo asked the inevitable question.
“Am I cured?”
I paused before answering.
“You are disease-free today,” I said carefully.
“And that is the most honest and powerful truth medicine can offer.”
She nodded slowly.
“I like that answer,” she whispered.
📚 Medical Insight
Complete surgical removal combined with long-term MRI monitoring
significantly improves survival in patients with Dural SFT. However,
delayed recurrence—even decades later—has been documented, emphasizing the
necessity of lifelong follow-up.
The Celebration of Ordinary Days
Three weeks later, I received an invitation.
Minseo and her family had organized a small gathering to celebrate what
they called:
“Life Anniversary Day.”
When I arrived, I found something extraordinary in its simplicity.
Children laughing in the backyard.
The scent of homemade food.
Family photographs pinned along a wall, timeline titled:
“Before the Tumor – During the Battle – After the Storm.”
Minseo approached me holding a framed MRI image.
“This is my favorite photo,” she said.
It was the scan showing her tumor-free brain.
Not a wedding picture.
Not a family portrait.
A medical image had become a symbol of rebirth.
The Patient Becomes the Teacher
During the celebration, Minseo delivered a short speech.
“I thought survival meant returning to my old life,” she said.
“But I learned survival means building a new life with deeper gratitude.”
She turned toward me.
“Doctors remove tumors… but patients remove fear together with them.”
I felt humbled by the truth in her words.
The Doctor’s Transformation
Fifteen years earlier, I believed technical precision defined excellence
in neurosurgery.
Minseo redefined that belief.
She taught me that medicine is not merely the removal of disease. It is
the restoration of identity.
I began altering my clinical consultations subtly:
• I asked patients about their dreams
• I discussed survivorship emotional recovery
• I introduced psychological resilience planning alongside surgical consent
Minseo’s case quietly reshaped my medical philosophy.
The Long Road of Surveillance
Minseo continued annual MRIs. Each scan carried less terror and more
ritual.
She once told me,
“The MRI used to feel like judgment day. Now it feels like a yearly
conversation with my brain.”
Her statement reflected a profound psychological adaptation commonly
observed in long-term survivors of rare intracranial tumors like Dural
Solitary Fibrous Tumour.
When Patients Return as Hope
Two years after her surgery, Minseo began volunteering at neuro-oncology
patient support groups.
She sat beside newly diagnosed patients, explaining:
“I survived a rare brain tumor called Dural Solitary Fibrous Tumour. The
road was terrifying, but survival is possible.”
Her story became therapeutic for others.
Witnessing patients evolve into mentors represents one of medicine’s most
rewarding cycles.
The Doctor’s Hidden Gratitude
One evening, after clinic hours, I reviewed her initial MRI from 120 days
before surgery.
The tumor appeared enormous. Aggressive. Dominant.
I compared it to her latest scan.
Silence.
Empty surgical cavity.
Healthy cortical architecture.
I realized something unexpected:
She believed I saved her life.
But she saved something inside me too—the fragile reason I chose medicine
in the first place.
The Philosophy of the Dura Mater
The dura mater is anatomically known as the protective membrane
surrounding the brain. Yet after Minseo’s journey, it acquired metaphorical
meaning in my mind.
The dura is resilience.
It is protection.
It is the barrier between vulnerability and survival.
Dural Solitary Fibrous Tumour threatens
not only neurological function but also symbolic human fortitude.
Removing the tumor becomes both a surgical and existential restoration.
The Daughter’s Letter
Three years after surgery, Minseo’s eldest daughter sent me a handwritten
letter.
“Dear Doctor,
You gave my mother back to us. But you also taught me what courage looks like.
I want to become a doctor someday.”
I held that letter longer than any academic award I had ever received.
The Final Follow-Up Conversation
Five years after surgery, Minseo returned for routine imaging.
She sat across from me, calm, confident, radiating a serenity I rarely see
even in healthy individuals.
“Doctor,” she said softly, “If my tumor had never happened… I would never
have understood life this deeply.”
I smiled.
“And if you had never happened… I might have forgotten why medicine
exists.”
The Closing of the 120-Day Chronicle
As I finalize this clinical journal entry, I recognize that the 120-day
battle against Dural Solitary Fibrous Tumour extended far beyond its
timeline.
It became:
• A lesson in rare brain tumor treatment
• A demonstration of surgical neuroscience
• A story of psychological survival
• A reminder of human resilience
Medical science documented her tumor.
Human connection documented her recovery.
Epilogue: The Lighthouse
Hospitals remain filled with uncertainty. Rare tumors like Solitary
Fibrous Tumour of the Dura continue to challenge medical science with
unpredictable recurrence and complex surgical demands.
But Minseo’s story stands as a lighthouse.
Not promising immunity from suffering.
But proving that survival, growth, and meaning remain possible even in the
presence of fear.
Tonight, as I remove my surgical gloves and close my journal, I understand
something that fifteen years of medical textbooks never taught me:
Medicine does not conquer death.
Medicine negotiates with it—patient by patient, story by story.
Tomorrow morning, another patient will sit across from me, carrying their
own invisible tumor, their own hidden fear.
And I will begin again.
Because somewhere inside every brain lies not only neurons and blood
vessels—
—but also a fragile, extraordinary will to live.
Comments
Post a Comment