Medical Human Diary – Episode 48: When the Silent Abdomen Speaks to the Heart(1)

 

Prologue: A Doctor Fishes Life from the Edge of Death

Every day, a doctor pulls life back from the precipice of the abyss.


3:17 AM: The Heart of the Hospital Never Skips a Beat

It was just past three in the morning. While the entire city seemed to hold its breath in a deep slumber, the hospital alone remained vibrantly, restlessly alive. The faint hum of fluorescent lights stretched long shadows down the hallway, and the electronic board flickered with the name of yet another patient. I stood before the automatic doors of the Emergency Room, hands buried in the pockets of my white coat.

"Professor Elias Lee, a 74-year-old female patient, has arrived. Severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, and fever," a nurse’s urgent voice crackled through the radio.

I gave a slow, measured nod. "Prepare a CT scan immediately. Include contrast."

"Yes, Professor." Her footsteps receded quickly down the corridor.

In these moments, the same thought always drifts through my mind: A doctor stands daily on the thin line between life and death. And that line is far more fragile than one might imagine.

My Name, Elias Lee

I am Elias Lee, a radiologist at a university hospital in Seoul. When I first entered medical school, I dreamed of being a surgeon—the hero holding the scalpel, saving lives with a single cut. But during my residency, I realized that the "true" doctor is the one who sees what remains hidden to others.

Radiology is the discipline of peering into the deepest reaches of the human body in absolute silence. The patient does not speak. The organs do not cry out in pain. Instead, minute signals within CTs, MRIs, and ultrasounds send out SOS calls. I read those signals. And behind those signals, I read the human story hidden within.

Ward 12: The Gaze of an Elder

The patient arrived shortly after. A 74-year-old woman lay on the stretcher—ash-gray hair, deep-set wrinkles, yet eyes that remained piercingly clear.

"Professor... am I... very sick?" Her voice was frail, but it carried an unmistakable weight of terror.

I stepped to her bedside and offered a gentle smile. "We don't know for sure yet, but we are finding the cause. Please hold on just a little longer."

Her hand reached out, lightly grasping the sleeve of my gown. "I'll live... won't I?"

For a second, my heart skipped a beat. I have met countless patients, yet I have never grown accustomed to that single question.

"I will do my absolute best." It is a phrase every doctor carries on the tip of their tongue, but I etch its meaning anew every single time.

Emergency CT: The War Within the Abdomen

She was rushed to the CT room. As the contrast dye surged through her veins, I sat before the console, eyes locked on the screen.

First slice: A dilated small bowel. Second slice: The transition zone of the intestinal tract appeared clearly. "Adhesive small bowel obstruction..." I muttered. Then, the third slice: A rectus sheath hematoma revealed itself.

"And a hemorrhage too..." This was no simple obstruction. It was a dual catastrophe—a ticking time bomb of bowel blockage and abdominal wall bleeding.

📌 Medical Insight

 

A Daughter’s Tears

After the reading, I met the guardian, the patient’s daughter. Her hands were trembling.

"How is my mother?"

"She has both a bowel obstruction and abdominal wall bleeding. She needs intensive treatment immediately."

"Is it... dangerous?"

"It is. But there is still a chance."

The daughter buried her face in her hands. "Mother... she worked so hard her whole life. I should have been better to her..."

I sat quietly beside her. "Right now, she doesn't need your regret. She needs you to endure this time with her."

What it Means to be a Doctor

I often ask myself: What does it mean to be a doctor? Are we merely technicians fixing a disease? Or heroes saving lives? No. A doctor is a witness who stays by someone's side at their most vulnerable moment.

I witness the final scenes of some lives and open the first chapters of others. In the space between, I learn how fragile—and yet how incredibly resilient—human beings can be.

📌 Medical Insight

 

The Hospital Night and a Prayer

As night deepens, the hospital grows more frantic. The beep of monitors, the heavy breathing behind oxygen masks, the sobs of loved ones, and the clipped commands of doctors. Above all that noise, I offer a silent prayer.

"Tonight, let just one more person live."

A doctor is not God. Yet every day, we are forced into His seat to make impossible choices.

Why This Story Begins

This record is not a mere clinical report. It is the chronicle of a human life and the person who watched over it. Within these pages lie stories of adhesive small-bowel obstruction, rectus sheath hematomas, acute abdomen, and radiological judgment—but more than anything, it is about the human heart. I hope that through this story, readers feel the warmth of humanity alongside medical knowledge.

he Journey Begins

Ward 12. The 74-year-old woman stared up at the ceiling. I took her hand gently. "It will be hard, but let's endure this together."

She smiled faintly. "Professor... I trust you."

Those words settled heavily on my shoulders. And with that, the story truly begins.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Part 1: The Struggle for Life Beginning in the Hallway of Despair


Dawn: The Threshold of Life and Death

The hospital corridors grow coldest at dawn. Though the lights remain bright, the space feels hollowly chilled once the human warmth has drained away.

I was back at the monitor, re-examining the images of the 74-year-old patient. Adhesive Small-Bowel Obstruction. Rectus Sheath Hematoma. Active Bleeding. These three phrases merged in my mind to form one dark shadow.

"Professor Elias, her blood pressure has dropped to 90/55," the nurse called out urgently.

I stood up instantly. "Secure two IV lines. Inform me of the blood results immediately. Alert the intervention team."

The air in the ER grew taut. Acute abdomen, obstruction, hematoma, and advanced age—this combination rarely ends well.

Her Name is Kim Bun-rye

Entering the room, the name tag caught my eye: Kim Bun-rye, 74. An ordinary name, an ordinary age. But I knew that within such ordinariness lay a life that was anything but.

"Mother, are you alright?" I asked softly by her bed.

She opened her eyes slowly. "My stomach... it hurts so much..." Her hands were cold, and beads of sweat stood on her brow.

"Hang in there. We are finding the cause."

She looked at me for a moment before forcing out the words: "Professor... I've lived a long time. But... I want to see my daughter’s face one more time..."

Those words pierced my heart.

📌 Medical Insight

 

The First Crisis: Blood Pressure

At 5:00 AM, her blood pressure tanked again. "85 over 48!"

"Add 500ml of fluids. Cross-match for blood immediately." I called the intervention specialist directly. "We have a rectus sheath hematoma with an active blush on CT. Please prepare for embolization."

"I can be there in 30 minutes."

"I'm counting on you." In this moment, time was life.

The Intervention: A War in the Veins

The steady hum of machinery, the glow of monitors, the microscopic precision at the tip of a needle. A micro-catheter is threaded through the vessels. Inferior epigastric artery. Contrast leak. The bleeding point is confirmed.

"There it is," I said, eyes glued to the screen.

"Coils going in."

The embolization was a success; the bleeding stopped. But the real war—the bowel obstruction—was far from over.

📌 Medical Insight

 

The Doctor’s Choice

The sun began to rise. Her pressure was stable, but her abdomen remained distended. Still no gas, no bowel sounds.

I consulted with the surgical professor. "Surgery is risky," he said. "But waiting longer risks necrosis." "The patient's age..." "Even so, she has a chance."

Silence fell over the room. I looked out the window at the morning sun. Would she ever see this light again?

 "I Want to Live"

When I returned to the ward, she was awake. "Professor... do I need surgery?"

I hesitated, then spoke truthfully. "Given the situation, it is very likely."

She nodded. "Then... do it. I... I want to live." I was momentarily speechless. "I want to be with my daughter longer..."

With those words, the decision was made.

📌 Medical Insight 

 ___________________________________________________________________

Adhesive small bowel obstruction,Intestinal obstruction,Acute abdominal abscess,Rectus abdominis hematoma,Angioembolization,Medical novel,Medical essay,Healing story,Human documentary,MedicalStory,


To be continued!--> https://medicalhumanstory.blogspot.com/2026/02/medical-human-diary-episode-48-when_17.html

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3