Medical Human Story-Episode 52-The Time of the Aorta(4)
Thoracic Aortic Dissection and the Final Choice of a 78-Year-Old Man
Part IV: The Physician
Awakened
The nights in the Intensive Care Unit are invariably long. They stretch even further when a patient teeters on the precipice between life and death. I sat in the chair beside the bed.
Patient
Name: Park Jeong-ho. Diagnosis:
Stanford Type A Thoracic Aortic Dissection.
Approximately twenty-eight
hours had passed since the surgery. And then, at that very moment, a minute
shift emerged alongside the rhythmic pulsing of the monitor.
Opening the Eyes
"Dr. Park," I called
out softly.
A few seconds drifted by
before his eyelids stirred with painstaking slowness, reminiscent of a traveler
returning from a long, weary journey. Then, his eyes opened just a crack.
I held my breath. "Can
you hear me?"
His gaze shifted languidly
until it finally settled on me.
The First Question
He was unable to speak. The
endotracheal tube made it impossible. Yet, his eyes were speaking with
unmistakable clarity.
"The surgery was a
success," I said.
His eyes wavered for a moment.
Then, with the slightest of movements, he nodded. It was a signal of
understanding.
Extubation
The following morning, the
patient was ready to be weaned from the mechanical ventilator.
"Spontaneous breathing is
stable," the anesthesiologist noted.
The tube was removed. The
patient took a deep, grounding breath. Then, in a voice raspy yet firm, he spoke.
"...Where... is
this?"
I offered a small smile. "You
are in the hospital."
He reflected for a moment. "...Am
I alive?"
I nodded. "Yes."
He closed his eyes and
whispered, "...What a relief."
A Dialogue Between Doctors
A few hours later, as he
regained more of his strength, he looked at me.
"Doctor," he said.
I smiled. "Yes?"
"...It was a thoracic
aortic dissection, wasn't it?"
I was taken aback. "You
knew?"
A faint smile touched his
lips. "I, too... was a thoracic surgeon."
"I heard from your
daughter," I replied.
He nodded slowly. "...That
is why I knew, even before I arrived at the ER."
"Knew what?" I asked.
"...That I might
die."
The Patient’s Story
He continued slowly, catching
his breath between sentences.
"For my entire life... I
performed heart surgeries. I saved thousands of lives." He chuckled softly.
"...But I never imagined my own turn would come."
"Still, you
survived," I reminded him.
He looked at me intently. "...I
was lucky."
I shook my head. "No, you
weren't."
"Why do you say
that?"
"Because you didn't wait
too long to come to the hospital."
A Doctor’s Confession
He gazed out the window where
the morning sun was spilling into the ICU.
"Doctor," he began
again.
"Yes."
"When you save a
patient... how does it feel?"
I paused to gather my thoughts
before answering. "The same thought always crosses my mind."
"And what thought is
that?"
"That I have managed to
buy them a little more time."
He smiled warmly. "That
is a fine answer."
The Final Question
Suddenly, he asked,
"Doctor, why did you choose this path? Why did you become a
physician?"
I thought for a moment. "...Because
I wanted to save people."
He nodded in approval. "A
noble reason."
A brief silence followed
before he added, "...I chose it for the very same reason."
The Ward Window
A few days later, he was moved
to a general ward. Spring sunshine bathed the room through the window. He
looked out at the light.
"...Doctor," he said
while I stood by his side. "This illness... it makes a man humble."
"Why is that?"
"...Because you realize
just how fragile the human heart truly is."
That day, I realized something
vital. Medicine is the art of saving lives, but it is also a craft that forces
one to understand the very essence of living.
Epilogue: The Heart Beats On
Time in a hospital flows with
a strange, inconsistent rhythm. Some days, a few hours feel like an eternity;
other times, months pass as quickly as a single day. It was spring when I last
saw him, and a year had already slipped by since then.
A Patient Revisited
The door to the outpatient
clinic opened.
"Doctor, the next patient
is here," the nurse announced.
I looked down at the chart,
and a familiar name caught my eye: Park Jeong-ho.
I looked up to see an elderly
man standing at the doorway, wearing a bright smile. "...It has been a
long time."
I stood up to greet him. "Dr.
Park."
He walked in slowly. His pace
was measured, but it was undoubtedly the stride of a man who was very much
alive.
One Year Later
"How are you
feeling?" I asked.
He chuckled. "...I am
living, thanks to you." As he took a seat, he added, "My blood
pressure is being managed well."
I checked his vitals. BP:
118/72 mmHg. Heart Rate: 68 bpm.
"Perfect numbers," I
remarked.
He laughed. "...This is
what happens when a doctor actually listens to medical advice."
A Life Transformed
"How have you been
spending your days lately?" I inquired.
He looked toward the window. "I
take walks."
"A healthy habit," I
noted with a smile.
"...And I write," he
added.
I was surprised. "You
write?"
He nodded. "...The things
I want to say to patients."
"And what might those
be?"
He spoke quietly. "...To
not waste time."
What He Saw
"After enduring an aortic
dissection..." He paused for a moment. "...I realized just how
precious time really is."
"You're right," I
agreed.
He looked me in the eye. "...You
know that too, don't you, Doctor?"
I smiled. "I feel it
every day."
The Memory
Suddenly, I recalled that dawn
in the emergency room. The tearing chest pain. And the thin, haunting line on
the CT scan—the intimal flap. It wasn't just a clinical image; it was
the boundary line between a person's life and their death.
The Last Conversation
As the consultation drew to a
close, he rose from his seat.
"Doctor," he said. I
looked up. "I think I finally understand why I am still alive."
"Why is that?"
"...Because I still have
work left to do."
I smiled. "I believe so,
too."
He stopped at the door for one
last word. "...And so do you."
"What do you mean?"
He grinned. "...Because
you have more lives to save."
The Closing Door
The door clicked shut. I stood
there for a moment as the sound of footsteps echoed through the hospital
corridor. In this place, someone will discover an illness, someone will receive
treatment, and someone will begin their life anew.
And I knew then: medicine is
not a technology that grants immortality. Rather, it is the gift of a little
more time.
The Final Sentence
I looked out the window at the
sunlight washing over the hospital. Perhaps everything we do exists for a
single, solitary purpose.
To keep a human heart beating just a little while longer.
n The End
Comments
Post a Comment