Medical Human Story-Episode 52-The Time of the Aorta(3)
Thoracic Aortic Dissection and the Final Choice of a 78-Year-Old Man
Part III. The Patient Who
Does Not Wake
The morning sun filtered
through the hospital windows. Yet, within the Intensive Care Unit, the
distinction between day and night ceased to exist. There was only the glow of
monitors, the rhythmic hiss of ventilators, and the incessant, piercing chirps
of alarms.
I stood before Bed 12.
Patient
Name: Park Jeong-ho. Diagnosis:
Stanford Type A Thoracic Aortic Dissection.
The First Hour Post-Surgery
He had not yet regained
consciousness. An endotracheal tube was seated in his airway, with the
ventilator mechanically forcing air into his lungs in a steady, artificial
cadence. The monitor displayed his vital signs:
- Blood Pressure: 110/65 mmHg
- Heart Rate: 84 bpm
- Oxygen Saturation: 99%
On the surface, the surgery
appeared to be a success. But I knew better. In cases of aortic dissection, the
true battle often begins only after the surgeon steps away from the operating
table.
Six Hours Later
It was 3:10 PM. I returned to
the ICU to find a neurosurgery resident examining the patient.
"Any response?" I
asked.
He shook his head slowly. "...Still
no sign of consciousness."
A weight settled in my chest. "Pupillary
reflex?"
"Present," he
replied.
I exhaled a brief sigh of
relief, but the reprieve was short-lived. "The problem lies
elsewhere," he continued. "There is no movement in his left
extremities."
I closed my eyes.
Cerebral Ischemia
I re-examined the CT scans. The
dissection had extended into the left common carotid artery. This was a risk we
had recognized before the first incision was even made. Now, that risk was
manifesting as a grim reality.
"...Cerebral
ischemia," I whispered to myself.
A Daughter’s Vigil
The patient's daughter was
still in the corridor. She hadn't gone home once throughout the night.
"Doctor..." she
said, catching my eye. "...My father—is he going to be okay?"
I hesitated for a heartbeat. "The
surgery itself was successful," I began. Her expression softened slightly.
But I had to continue: "...However, he has not yet regained
consciousness."
Her eyes flickered with fear. "Why?"
"There is a possibility
that the blood flow to his brain was compromised," I said, choosing
honesty over comfort.
Her lips began to tremble. "Does
that mean... my father will..."
I cut her off gently. "It’s
not certain yet."
The Patient's Past
Late that night, I found
myself sitting across from her in the hospital café.
"My father was..."
she paused, gathering her strength. "...He was a doctor."
I was taken aback. "A
doctor?"
She nodded. "A
cardiothoracic surgeon. He spent his entire life repairing hearts."
"So... did he know?"
I asked quietly.
"Yes," she replied. "In
the ambulance on the way to the emergency room..." She choked back a sob. "...He
told me."
I held my breath. "What
did he say?"
Wiping away a tear, she
whispered, "He said it might be an aortic dissection."
The Burden of Knowledge
Suddenly, the patient’s words
from before the surgery echoed in my mind: "Everyone dies
eventually."
He had known exactly what was
happening to him. He understood the gravity of his condition—Thoracic Aortic
Dissection—and the slim margin for survival.
Night in the ICU
11:20 PM. I returned to the
ICU. The patient remained lost in the depths of unconsciousness. Only the
rhythmic pinging of the monitor broke the silence.
I stood by his bedside. "Dr.
Park," I said.
There was, of course, no reply.
But I continued speaking. "You must have saved countless hearts in your
time ." I reached out and took his hand. "Now, it is our turn to save
yours."
A Glimmer of Hope
It happened then. A subtle
shift on the monitor, and then—a flicker. The patient’s finger moved, ever so
slightly.
My breath caught. "Nurse!"
The nurse rushed over. "He
just moved," she confirmed, her voice filled with surprise.
I nodded, my gaze fixed on him.
"Dr. Park."
A few seconds passed. Then,
his eyelids began to flutter, slowly opening to the world once more.
In that moment, a single thought took hold: This fight is far from over.
To be continued!
Comments
Post a Comment