[Medical Human Story-Episode 54]- Calcified Times(4)

 

 A narrative of humanity blooming amidst chronic renal failure and tumoral calcinosis

 

Part IV: The Light of the Operating Theater

 Where is the brightest place in a hospital? Most would assume it is the bustling lobby, bathed in artificial warmth. But doctors know better. The brightest place is the operating theater. That luminescence is a dual-edged blade; it is the light of hope, yet it is also a stark glare that exposes the fragile limits of human endurance.

The Morning of the Surgery

On the morning of the procedure, the hospital corridors remained hushed in a pre-dawn stillness. I stood clad in my surgical blues, watching the winter sunlight filter through the glass. I closed my eyes for a moment. The silence before a surgery is always peculiar—no matter how many thousands of times I have experienced it, the tension feels as sharp and novel as the first.

"The patient is ready," a nurse announced. I nodded, grounding myself.

The Operating Theater

The doors swung open to a rush of chilled air. Tae-hoon was already there, prepared for anesthesia. When our eyes met, he managed a smile.

"Professor," he said. "Yes, I’m here." "I’m counting on you." I took his hand firmly. "Let’s do this together."

He let out a dry, wry chuckle. "Are there really that many stones inside me?" "Just a few," I replied with a faint smile. He closed his eyes as the anesthesia began its descent.

The Procedure Begins

The orthopedic team began the incision. Skin was parted; muscle was delicately retracted. Before long, the lead surgeon spoke.

"I see it."

Watching through the monitor, I saw the massive calcified mass emerge. It looked like a jagged, white boulder unearthed from the earth. "It’s enormous," the surgeon whispered. "It is twelve years," I murmured back.



The Moment of Extraction

"Resecting now," the surgeon declared.

Moments later, a quiet collective gasp filled the theater. The mass was finally removed. It was even more substantial than the scans had suggested—roughly the size of two clenched fists held together.

The surgeon smiled behind his mask. "The patient is going to feel much lighter." I stared at the stone. It wasn't just a heap of calcium; it was the calcified remains of a man's hardship.

Conclusion of Surgery

The operation concluded three hours later. "A success," the surgeon confirmed. I breathed a sigh of relief, yet I knew the true story was only just entering its next chapter.

The Recovery Room

When Tae-hoon opened his eyes in the recovery room, I was at his side. "Is it... over?" he whispered. "Yes," I smiled. "And the stones?" "They’re gone." He closed his eyes, a single, soft breath escaping him. "...Thank goodness."

The First Step

A few days later, assisted by a physical therapist, Tae-hoon stood up. I watched from the end of the hall as he gingerly placed one foot in front of the other.

"This is strange," he remarked. "What is?" I asked. He beamed. "My body feels... light." In that moment, I realized that surgery is not merely a clinical intervention; it is the profound process of reclaiming a stolen life.



The Hospital Corridor

On the day of his discharge, Tae-hoon and his sister walked down the hall together. "Professor," he said, turning to me. "I feel like I'm finally alive." I smiled. "I want to build a house again someday," he added. "As a carpenter?" I asked. He nodded. "Even if it's just a small one." I saw then that he was no longer a patient defined by his illness, but a man once again dreaming of the future.

Epilogue: Something Harder Than Stone

Months passed. I was back in the dim light of the reading room when a familiar name flickered onto my screen: Kim Tae-hoon. I opened the CT. The images were pristine; the calcifications were gone. I smiled to myself.

Then, the phone rang. It was Tae-hoon. "How are you?" I asked. "Well," he replied. "I've actually started some small-scale woodworking again." "That’s wonderful."

"Professor," his voice softened. "Thank you for taking the stones out of my body." I was silent for a beat before responding, "I only looked at the stones." He laughed gently. "No. You looked at my life."

The call ended. I looked out the window at the hospital, an endless tide of busy lives and passing images. Yet some patients etch themselves into a doctor's memory. Tae-hoon was one of them.

I recorded a final note that day: Some stones form within the body; others remain in the heart. Medicine is not merely the science of curing disease; it is the art of understanding the human story.

- The end –

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3