[Medical Human Story-Episode 54]- Calcified Times(2)

 

 A narrative of humanity blooming amidst chronic renal failure and tumoral calcinosis


 

Part II: The Body Where Stones Bloom

In the sterile confines of a hospital, time flows through two distinct channels. One is the clinical cadence of the clock; the other is the inexorable progression of disease. Most physicians eventually come to a somber realization: the time of illness flows with a cruelty that far outpaces the ticking of a watch.

Mountain Ranges within the CT

A few days later, I reopened Kim Tae-hoon’s CT scans. As the cross-sections of his pelvis flickered onto the monitor, I was confronted once again by that haunting sight. A massive, calcified mass—a dense congregation of stone nestled within the soft tissues surrounding the groin.

I magnified the image. The screen revealed what looked like calcified clouds, an erratic constellation of calcium deposits. Within its depths, I noted a distinct fluid-fluid level. "A classic presentation of Tumoral Calcinosis," I murmured to myself.

A junior resident nearby asked, "Professor, is this truly tumoral calcinosis?" I nodded. "It could easily be mistaken for a malignancy," he remarked.

"Which is precisely why radiology is so vital," I replied, rotating the CT images to illustrate my point. "Look here—this is lobulated calcification. And this," I pointed to another section, "is calcium sedimentation.

"I see the layering," the resident noted. "Exactly," I said. "That is the hallmark of tumoral calcinosis".



The Silent Growth of Disease

During the next outpatient session, Tae-hoon sat in the consultation chair. His gait appeared even more labored than before. "Has the pain intensified?" I inquired.

"Yes... a little," he replied with a nod. "Since when?" "Lately," he said, offering a faint smile. "I suppose it’s because the stones are growing".

I could not bring myself to return his humor. He spoke again: "Professor, will it keep getting bigger?" I answered him with painful honesty: "It is possible". He fell silent for a moment. "Then... will there come a day when I can no longer walk?" It was a question I found difficult to answer.

A Sister’s Query

His sister, who had accompanied him, asked tentatively, "Professor, why does this happen?"

I began to explain, sketching a diagram on a piece of paper: Kidneys → Phosphorus Excretion → Calcium Balance. Then, I drew a line through the sequence, signifying a break. "When the kidneys fail, phosphorus accumulates in the body. It then binds with calcium. The result," I said, "is the formation of stones within the body".

Her eyes widened in realization. "But shouldn't dialysis fix that?" I shook my head. "It does not fully resolve the imbalance".



In the Hospital Corridor

After the consultation, Tae-hoon called out to me in the hallway. "Please, be honest with me," he said quietly. "Is this... a grave illness?"

I paused to reflect. "It is not an immediate threat to your life," I told him. He breathed a sigh of relief, but I had to continue. "However, it will significantly impact your quality of life".

He nodded slowly. "I am already feeling it".

Archives of the Night

That evening, I remained late at the hospital. Reviewing the patient records, I looked again at Tae-hoon’s chart. Dialysis Commencement: 12 Years Ago. I stopped for a moment. Twelve years.

It is a vast stretch of time—long enough for a person to marry, raise a child, and see that child off to elementary school. Yet, for twelve years, his life had been anchored to the dialysis ward.

A New Revelation

A few days later, while re-examining his CT scans, I noticed something unsettling. I zoomed in. "This can't be..." The calcified mass was expanding far more rapidly than anticipated. I pulled up his scans from two years ago; the mass had been significantly smaller then.

"The progression is too fast," I whispered. In that moment, I realized that this condition was more than just a clinical finding on a screen.

A Life Once Built

At our next meeting, I asked him, "Tae-hoon, what was your profession?" He smiled. "Before?". "I was a carpenter. I loved building houses". Then he fell silent. "I can't do that anymore". I knew the reason well; for a dialysis patient, maintaining a regular, physically demanding career is nearly impossible.

The True Weight of Pain

After our session, his sister pulled me aside. Her eyes were rimmed with red. "Professor... my brother is struggling so much lately".

"Is it the pain?" I asked. She shook her head. "No... it's the weight of a life spent entirely within hospital walls". I understood completely.

The Physician’s Burden

That night, I sat in contemplation. What could I truly do for this man?. A radiologist typically exists within the realm of diagnosis. But certain patients demand something more. I looked at the CT images once again. This story, I realized, was now reaching its turning point.

To be continued!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3