[Medical Human Story: Episode 61]-At the Brink of Breath, Unseen Pressure_2
🔎 Search Description
A medical human story centered on supine tension pneumothorax, detailing the emergency management, diagnostic process (CT, PET-CT, biopsy), surgical treatment (VATS, lobectomy), and recovery of a patient with COPD and lung cancer, combining emotional storytelling with in-depth medical insight.
Part I: Invisible Cracks
I stood in front of the monitor.
Now, we had to find the cause.
“CT is up.”
At the resident’s words, I nodded.
The chest CT images began loading slowly.
Without realizing it, I held my breath.
It is always like this.
This moment—
the moment when the truth reveals
itself.
The images were not what I had expected.
A pneumothorax was clearly present.
Air had accumulated in the anterior portion
of the left pleural cavity.
But that was not all.
I zoomed in.
And then… I froze.
Multiple small air-filled spaces were
scattered throughout the lung parenchyma.
This was not just a simple lung injury.
I muttered under my breath.
“Blebs… no, even bullae…”
Air-filled sacs are formed along the surface of
the lung.
Their rupture likely caused the
pneumothorax.
But the real problem was their number and
distribution.
There were too many.
I looked at the resident.
“Did you check his smoking history?”
“Yes—30 pack-years.”
I nodded.
The pieces were falling into place.
This patient was not just a pneumothorax
case.
For years, he had been gradually losing his
lungs.
The name of that disease—
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
(COPD)
The lungs of a COPD patient are different.
The alveolar walls are destroyed
Elasticity is reduced
Air becomes trapped and cannot escape
As a result:
Bullae (large air-filled sacs) form.
They are like a ticking time bomb—
ready to rupture at any moment.
I reviewed the CT again.
Left upper lobe.
A large bulla was clearly visible.
And around it—
subtle signs of rupture.
I was certain.
“This is the cause.”
I reviewed his chart again.
He had spent his entire life working in the
field.
Dust, cigarettes, stress.
All of it had been slowly destroying his
lungs.
He barely managed to speak.
I took his hand.
“You’re okay. For now, you’re okay.”
But I knew.
This was only the beginning.
Emergency decompression is only a temporary
measure.
Definitive treatment is something else.
Chest tube insertion.
I gave the order to prepare.
I identified the exact location.
After local anesthesia, a small incision.
And then—
the chest tube was inserted.
Air began to drain through the tube.
Bubbling.
A continuous air leak.
As I watched, I thought to myself—
“This isn’t over yet…”
Normally, an air leak gradually decreases.
But this patient was different.
The air kept escaping.
Which meant:
Ongoing lung damage
The bullae had not fully sealed
Or there was an additional rupture
“Please consult thoracic surgery.”
This was not a case that would end with
simple emergency management.
Surgery might be necessary.
A middle-aged woman and a young man.
His wife and son, most likely.
Their eyes already said everything.
I paused briefly before speaking.
“He is currently stable… but…”
I had to be honest.
“There is significant damage to his lungs,
and further treatment is required.”
They simply nodded.
That silence felt heavier than words.
He lay there with an oxygen mask on.
The monitor showed stable numbers—
but I knew.
This was not true stability.
But There Was Another
Problem
I reviewed another section of the CT scan.
And then… I stopped.
A small opacity.
In the right lung.
This was not just COPD.
“This… something isn’t
right.”
I zoomed in on the image.
An irregular nodule.
A lesion with indistinct margins.
I felt it instinctively.
This was not just a simple pneumothorax
case.
There Was More Than One Reason He
Couldn’t Breathe
The patient was now fighting two battles.
Tension pneumothorax
And… another disease, not yet confirmed
I took a deep breath.
This was going to be a much longer fight.
I Closed His Chart
And I thought.
Medicine always begins with a single
question.
“Why?”
And That Question Never
Ends
I Returned to the Emergency
Room
Another patient was waiting.
But my mind was still with him.
Kim Doyoon.
His breath was not over yet.
Comments
Post a Comment