[Medical Human Story: Episode 61]-At the Brink of Breath, Unseen Pressure_5

 


🔎 Search Description

A medical human story centered on supine tension pneumothorax, detailing the emergency management, diagnostic process (CT, PET-CT, biopsy), surgical treatment (VATS, lobectomy), and recovery of a patient with COPD and lung cancer, combining emotional storytelling with in-depth medical insight.   

Part IV: Learning to Breathe Again


His Breath Returned, But It Was Not the Same

Kim Doyoon opened his eyes on the third day after surgery.

I was standing beside the ICU monitor.

His eyelids moved slowly,
and at last, his gaze found focus.

In that moment, I let out a breath of relief.

But it was only the beginning.


“Where… am I…”

His voice was hoarse.

He had just been taken off the ventilator.

The marks of intubation were still there,
and his breathing was unstable.

I leaned in slightly and said,

“You’re in the hospital. The surgery went well.”

He said nothing for a while.

He was simply breathing.


To Breathe Is to Be Reborn

For a healthy person, breathing is unconscious.

But for Kim Doyoon, it was different.

He was learning how to breathe—consciously.

The timing of inhalation

The timing of exhalation

The movement of the chest wall

Everything felt unfamiliar.



Rehabilitation Is Harder Than Treatment

I handed him an incentive spirometer.

“Try taking a deep breath with this.”

He tried.

But—

the indicator barely moved.


He Was Frustrated

“Why… is this so hard…”

I paused for a moment before answering.

“Your lungs are still recovering.”

But the true meaning was different.

His lungs would never return to what they once were.


Adaptation — The Only Way Forward

The lungs of a COPD patient do not fully recover.

The bullae had been removed through surgery,
but the underlying disease remained.

Now—

he would have to live with a new set of lungs.


And One More Battle Remained

Lung cancer.

Preoperative staging evaluations were underway.


PET-CT Results

I reviewed the images.

A lesion glowing like fluorescence.

But fortunately—

it appeared to be localized.

There was no evidence of metastasis.


“Surgery is possible.”

After discussing with the surgical team, I reached a conclusion.

The left-sided bullae surgery was already completed.

Now—

removal of the tumor in the right lung.


I Had to Explain the Second Surgery

I entered the consultation room again.

This time, Kim Doyoon himself was sitting there.

He looked thinner,
and more exhausted.


“We need to remove the cancer.”

I spoke directly.

He nodded quietly.

There was a look in his eyes—
as if he had already expected this.


“Another surgery…”

His question was short, but heavy.

I answered,

“Yes. But this is the best time to do it.”


He Thought for a Long Time

Then he asked—

“…Can I live?”


I Paused for a Moment

The hardest question for any doctor.

I do not lie.

But I do not abandon hope either.


“There is a chance.”

He closed his eyes upon hearing that.

Then slowly, he took a breath.


That Breath Was Different

Deeper,
more careful,
more desperate.



The Second Surgery

This time, it was a scheduled operation.

Not an emergency, but a planned intervention.

And yet, the tension remained.


“We’re beginning.”

A VATS approach.

Right upper lobectomy.

I watched the monitor.


The Lesion Was Clear

A small but unmistakable tumor.

The surgeon removed it carefully.

Minimal bleeding.

Preservation of the surrounding tissue.


And Finally

“Resection complete.”


The Surgery Was a Success

The tissue had been completely removed,

and lymph node samples had also been collected.


But the Real Fight Begins Now

Recovery.

Rehabilitation.

Follow-up.

And—

the fear of recurrence.


A Night in the Hospital Room

Kim Doyoon had been transferred to a general ward.

I made my late-night rounds.


He Was Looking Out the Window

“Can’t sleep?”

At my question, he nodded.


“I’ve Been Thinking a Lot”

he said.

“I think… until now, I’ve just been living.”

I listened quietly.


“I took breathing for granted…”

His voice was low, but steady.

“I never knew it could be this hard.”


I Stood Beside Him for a Moment

A doctor does not always have to provide answers.

Sometimes,

simply being there matters more.


He Looked at Me and Asked

“Doctor… why do you do this?”


I Thought for a Moment

Then I answered.

“Because it means protecting a person’s ability to breathe.”


He Smiled Faintly

It was the first smile I had seen from him that day.


Recovery Was Slow, but Steady

• He began walking again.
• Respiratory rehabilitation continued.
• His dependence on oxygen gradually decreased.

Little by little, he was getting better.





The Day of Discharge

Kim Doyoon walked out of the hospital.

Slowly—
but on his own.


I Saw Him Off

“This is just the beginning.”

He nodded.


His Breath Will Continue

Different from before—

but more meaningful.


I Returned to the Emergency Room

Another patient was waiting.

Another breath.

Another story.


Medicine Never Ends

And—

this story is not over either.


Epilogue: The Memory of Invisible Air


I Am Still Standing in the Emergency Room

Time passes.

Since that day, countless patients have passed through this place.

Some walked in.
Some were carried in.
And some… never walked out again.

The emergency room is always the same space,

but no two stories within it are ever the same.

And I—

I still stand at its center.


But Some Patients Stay With You

Kim Doyoon.

His name still lingers in my mind.

Not simply because his case was complex.

He was someone who made me rethink
the meaning of breath.


Air Is Invisible

We take it for granted.

It is everywhere.
Always around us.

We cannot live even a single moment without it.

And yet—

we forget.


That Day, I Saw the ‘Pressure’ of Air

Supine tension pneumothorax.

In a patient lying down,

invisible air
compresses the lungs,
pushes the heart aside,
and can bring life to a halt.

It is not just a disease.

It is an invisible threat.


And That Threat Still Exists

Traffic accidents
Falls
Trauma
And sometimes—spontaneous occurrence

Tension pneumothorax
strikes without warning.

And it progresses
far faster than we imagine.


Doctors Always See What Is Invisible

We do not rely only on what is seen.

The depth of breathing

The color of the skin

Subtle asymmetry

Unexplained instability

All of these are clues.


Kim Doyoon Survived

He continues follow-up visits after discharge.

His most recent CT showed no signs of recurrence.

He quit smoking,
and he told me he now walks slowly every morning.


“I never knew… breathing could feel this precious.”

His words were brief,

but more powerful than any medical textbook.


I Will Remember Those Words for a Long Time

Medicine is based on data.

But true change—

begins with awareness.


Breathing Is Not Just a Physiological Function

It is the rhythm of life,
the proof of existence,
the clearest sign that we are alive.


And Sometimes, It Is the First Thing to Fail

Breathing.

It is something we do not fully appreciate
until we begin to lose it.


I Still Stand at the Moment of Decision

In the emergency room, every moment is a decision.

To test—
to wait—
or to intervene.

A single decision
can change a life.


That Day, I Did Not Wait

Without imaging, without confirmation,

I picked up the needle.

And that decision—

saved a life.


Medicine Is Not Perfect

We do not know everything.

We cannot save every patient.

But—

we do not give up.


This Story Has Ended—And Yet, It Has Begun

Kim Doyoon’s story has reached one conclusion.

But—

there are still countless others like him.

Those who endure shortness of breath

Those who ignore chest pain

Those who delay medical care

They have not yet come to the hospital.


And One Day, They Will Stand Before Us

And when that moment comes—

we must choose again.


I Am Ready, Even Today

A stethoscope
An ultrasound
And—experience


But One Thing Matters More Than Anything Else

A questioning mind.


Question the Invisible

If your breathing feels different,
if your chest feels tight,
if something feels off—

it may not be simple fatigue.


Your Body Is Always Sending Signals

The problem is—

we do not listen.


A Doctor Is Someone Who Listens

And sometimes,

someone who interprets those signals for you.


I Push Open the Emergency Room Door Again

A new patient has arrived.

“Shortness of breath!”

Someone shouts.


I Move Again

Faster than thought—

without hesitation.


And Another Story Begins

This is my work,
my life,
and my choice.


A Final Message to the Reader


You are breathing right now.

Take a moment today
to think about how precious that truly is.


Signs You Must Never Ignore

Sudden shortness of breath

Chest pain

Reduced movement on one side of the chest

Worsening breathlessness when lying down

Unexplained dizziness

If you experience even one of these—

seek medical attention immediately.


Simple Habits for Prevention

Quit smoking (most important)

Regular health check-ups

Do not ignore respiratory symptoms

Monitor changes after trauma

Consider early CT screening when appropriate


Your Breath Belongs to You

But—

protecting it
is your choice.


I Am Only Here to Help You Make That Choice


The Medical Human Story Continues

In the next episode—

another disease,
another person,
another choice awaits.


-- The end -- 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3