[Medical Human Story-Episode 62]:A Fleeting Silence, The Brain’s Final Warning (The Silent Warning)_4

 


 

Part III: The Silence of a 75-Year-Old Woman and the Resolve of a 44-Year-Old Man

 

Treatment Had Begun, But the War Was Not Over

Starting treatment does not mean the situation has stabilized.

In fact, it is often the opposite.

The real fight begins then.

Medications had been administered, the monitors were running,
and I was tracking the data of both patients simultaneously.

But in medicine, the most unsettling moment is—

when nothing has happened yet.


The First Change: Mr. Park’s Signal

On the morning of hospital day two,
the first thing I checked was the Transcranial Doppler (TCD) result.

If the same pattern from yesterday was repeating—

the situation remained dangerous.

But—

I paused for a moment.

The waveform was different.


The Sound Had Decreased

Beep—

That sound had become less frequent.

It had not disappeared completely,
but it had clearly diminished.

The technician said,

“The MES frequency has dropped by more than half.”

I quietly exhaled.


The Medication Had Begun to Work

This was not a trivial change.

  • Platelet aggregation was being suppressed
  • Intravascular inflammation was decreasing
  • Plaque was becoming more stable

In other words—

it was a sign that embolus formation was being controlled.


But We Could Not Relax

Many physicians feel reassured at this point.

I do not.

Because—

reduction is not stability.

Until it disappears completely,
the risk still remains.


Conversation with Mr. Park

I met him in his hospital room.

“How have your symptoms been since yesterday?”

He thought for a moment.

“…Almost none.”

I nodded.

But I immediately added,

“That is a good sign. But it is not over.”


The Moment That Demands a Choice

I looked directly at him and said,

“Now you have to make a choice.”

He looked at me nervously.

“What choice?”

I answered clearly.

“Will you change your life, or go back to the way it was?”


Habits Are Stronger Than Disease

Many patients take their medication.

But they do not change their lifestyle.

And in the end—

the disease wins again.

I told him:

  • Smoking
  • Diet
  • Exercise
  • Glucose control

“If you do not change these four things, treatment has no meaning.”


His Answer

He remained silent for a long time.

Then he said,

“…I’ll quit.”

It was a short sentence.

But I know
how difficult those words truly are.


At That Moment, on Another Front

While Mr. Park’s condition was gradually stabilizing—

I was thinking about another patient.

Ms. Choi.

Seventy-five years old.

And—

a patient with very little time left.


A Completely Different Pattern

Ms. Choi’s condition was different from Mr. Park’s.

Mr. Park represented active risk.

Ms. Choi was—

on the verge of structural collapse.


The Shock of the Imaging

I reviewed her MRA again.

The vessels were barely visible.

The internal carotid artery, the middle cerebral artery—

both were severely narrowed.

Normal cerebral blood flow could not be expected.


The Brain’s Final Lifeline

In such cases, the brain tries to save itself
by creating detours.

This is called collateral circulation.

But—

it is only a temporary measure.


[Medical Insight]


The Silent Patient

Ms. Choi did not speak much.

She was quiet even in her room.

I asked her,

“Have you had any discomfort since yesterday?”

She shook her head.

But I knew—

that this silence was dangerous.


The Sudden Event

On the afternoon of hospital day three,

a nurse urgently called me.

“Doctor, something is wrong with Ms. Choi!”

I ran to the room immediately.


Language Had Stopped

She was sitting on the bed.

But—

she could not speak.

Her mouth moved,
but no sound came out.

Aphasia.


Right-Sided Paralysis

Her right arm hung limp.

It would not move.

I immediately checked the time.

Time of symptom onset.

That determines everything.


The Moment of Decision

I assessed rapidly.

  • Suspected acute stroke
  • Possible thrombus
  • Still within the treatment window

“Prepare for an immediate CT scan!”


War Against Time

At moments like this, everything accelerates.

  • Imaging
  • Blood tests
  • Neurologic evaluation

And—

treatment decisions.


Calculations in My Mind

I calculated quickly.

  • Possibility of hemorrhage?
  • Location of the clot?
  • Eligibility for treatment?

And then I reached the conclusion.


Administration

“Prepare the thrombolytic agent.”

The room became tense.

This decision is always heavy.

Because—

this treatment can save a life,
or create danger.


Waiting

The medication was administered.

Now the only thing left was—

to wait.


10 Minutes

No change.


20 Minutes

Her fingers moved slightly.


30 Minutes

Her lips trembled.

And then—

“Ah…”

A small sound emerged.


Function Returning

I held my breath.

Her eyes looked at me.

And slowly—

speech returned.


A Brain That Survived

It was not a complete recovery.

But—

it had returned.

That was enough.


Two Patients, Different Outcomes

  • Mr. Park: the patient who chose change
  • Ms. Choi: the patient who fought against time

Both survived.

But the path was different.


Realization as a Physician

I remained in the hospital late into the night.

And I thought:

What we fight is not disease.

It is time.


And Choice

  • Will symptoms be ignored?
  • Will they be accepted?
  • Will treatment be followed?
  • Will it be rejected?

These choices—

create the outcome.


It Is Not Over Yet

Both patients survived.

But—

this story is not finished.

Because—

the real test begins
after they leave the hospital.


To be continued."Part IV: Life Flows Again, and the Value of the Lost 10 Seconds"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3