[Medical Human Story-Episode 63]-Her Pain Did Not Fade-Two Surgeries and the Invisible Illness_4
Part III: The Moment of Decision, and the Crumbles of Boundaries
I held the
surgical consent form in my hand—a familiar piece of paper. Countless patients
had signed their names on this line. Yet, this paper always feels heavy.
“Doctor… I’ll do
the surgery.”
She spoke more
calmly than I expected. But I knew that behind that calm lay many sleepless
nights of worry.
The Reason
for the Decision
“The pain is part of it… But I really want to have another child.”
I nodded. Now,
this surgery wasn't just a treatment. It was a choice for her future.
Pre-operative
Preparation
“We’ll proceed laparoscopically,” I began. “We’ll release the adhesions and drain the trapped fluid.” She listened in silence. “But…” I stopped. I had to say it. “It is difficult to make everything completely clean.”
She closed her
eyes. It was the moment of confirming a reality she already knew.
The
Essence of the Surgery
PIC is not a disease you "cut out." It’s a disease you "untangle." But even when untangled, it can knot up again.
The Day of
Surgery
The operating room always smells the same. Cold, organized, and tense. I put on my gloves. The laparoscopic feed appeared on the monitor.
I took a breath
and said, “Let’s begin.”
The First
Incision
The camera entered the abdominal cavity. And in that moment, I paused.
Adhesions
Worse Than Expected
“...This is more severe than I thought.” The atmosphere in the room shifted. The peritoneum was fused together like an old, deep scar.
Her Past
Was Visible
Two previous surgeries. The remnants of those moments were left here. I began the dissection with extreme caution.
Untangling
Adhesions
This isn't just a technical skill; it’s a battle of time and patience. Bit by bit, I separated the tissue.
The
Structure Revealed
Clear fluid. And the ovary trapped within it.
I thought to
myself, There it is.
The Moment
of Drainage
I carefully inserted the suction. The fluid began to drain.
The Moment
Pressure Faded
The structure began to collapse. The trapped space finally opened up.
However…
“Be careful,” the assistant surgeon said. I stopped. The adhesions were complex. Vessels, nerves, and organs were all intertwined.
A
Dangerous Boundary
Any move could lead to hemorrhage or bowel injury. I moved even slower. Surgery is not about technique; it’s about judgment. How much do I release? Where do I stop? This isn't in the textbooks.
The
Decisive Moment
The final adhesion remained. The deepest, toughest part. I stopped for a moment. Do I end it here? To remove it perfectly would mean taking a great risk. But choosing safety would mean leaving a small part behind.
My Choice
I set down the instrument. “We’ll stop here.” The room fell silent.
The Reason
I knew that what this patient needed wasn't "perfect removal," but a "safe recovery."
Surgery
Concluded
I pulled off my gloves. The surgery was successful. But this wasn't the end.
In the Recovery
Room
She slowly opened her eyes. “Is it over?”
I nodded. “Yes.
It went well.”
“Am I going to
be okay now?”
I paused. “There
is a high chance things will improve.”
There is no
absolute certainty. But there is hope.
A Few Days
Later
She was sitting by the hospital window. “The pain… it’s definitely decreased.” I smiled.
But then she
added, “But… it’s not completely gone.”
I nodded.
The Nature
of the Disease
A Peritoneal Inclusion Cyst is not a disease that disappears. It’s a condition you learn to live with.
I thought as I left her room: this story isn't over. The truly important part is life after the surgery.
Comments
Post a Comment