[Medical Human Story - Episode 66] Hidden Beneath the Navel — The Vestige of a Fetus Left in a Boy’s Bowel-4

  

Part III: The remnant of time left within the body eventually shattered a family’s life.


The First Night After Discharge

 

It was the third night since Yun-seo had been discharged.

I was still in my research lab, having just wrapped up a late outpatient clinic. Outside the window, rain was falling.

The hospital takes on a completely different face at night. By day, it is a space for healing; by night, it becomes a space where memories drift.

Just then, my phone rang. It was the pediatric surgery ward.

"Dr. Elias." The resident on duty sounded breathless, urgent. "The patient, Yun-seo, is back in the ER."

I stood up immediately.

 

Reunion in the ER

 

Yun-seo was sitting on the bed. But this time was different.

The child wasn’t crying. In fact, she was entirely too quiet. That silence was far more dangerous.

Her mother spoke first. "She suddenly ran a fever and complained of stomach pain..."

I checked her vitals. A mild fever. Elevated heart rate. Abdominal tenderness. And—rigidity around the surgical site.

My mind went instantly cold. Postoperative complications. That phrase has a way of freezing a doctor's heart in a split second.

[Medical Insight] Complications to Watch For After Laparoscopic Surgery


Silence Before the CT Room

 

We immediately ordered an abdominal CT scan. The contrast dye began to spread through her veins.

I held my breath in front of the monitor. With every image that flipped by, my heart beat with a strange, agonizing slowness.

And then—we found it. A small fluid collection. Localized inflammation adjacent to the surgical site. The early stages of an abscess.

The resident asked, a tense look on his face, "Do we need to reoperate?"

I zoomed in on the screen. The abscess wasn't large. There were no signs of bowel perforation.

"Not yet," I said. But even my own voice lacked absolute certainty. 

 

A Doctor's Terror

 

Many people think doctors are cold-blooded. But in truth, we know fear better than anyone.

Why? Because we are trained to envision the worst-case scenario first.

Sepsis. Perforation. Necrosis. Shock. A multitude of terrifying possibilities lie hidden within a single scan.

I flipped open Yun-seo’s chart again. Bloodwork: elevated CRP, increased WBC. But her lactate levels remained stable. Hope was still alive.


Yun-seo’s Confession


Around dawn, Yun-seo spoke up softly.

"Doctor."

"Yes?"

"Am I going to die again?"

I couldn't answer. That question always leaves a human being feeling utterly powerless.

They say children don't truly understand death. But I know better. Children feel death, too. They just don't know how to explain it the way adults do.

I sat down beside her. "We caught this early, and we’re treating it quickly."

"But why does it hurt again?"

I closed my eyes for a moment. "Sometimes, the body can still hurt even while it’s healing."

Yun-seo asked slowly, "Why is the human body so complicated?"

I offered a bittersweet smile. "Doctors are the people who spend their whole lives studying exactly that."


The Mother’s Breakdown


In the family waiting room, Yun-seo’s mother could no longer bring herself to cry. Instead, her face had gone completely blank. True terror robs you of even your tears.

"Should I... should I not have taken her home?"

I quietly shook my head. "No, that's not it."

"Then why..." She couldn't finish her sentence.

I explained, keeping my voice very slow and deliberate. "The surgery was a success. However, inflammation can still occur during the recovery process. We are responding to it quickly right now."

Guardians often demand the future from a doctor. But doctors do not know the future. We only know the absolute best we can do in the present.

[Medical Insight] Postoperative Inflammation and Immune Response



Dawn Rounds


We didn't move Yun-seo to the ICU. Instead, we initiated high-risk intensive monitoring.

Escalating the antibiotics. Maintaining her NPO (nothing by mouth) status. Adjusting intravenous fluids. And conducting repeated abdominal evaluations.

At 4:00 AM, I was sitting in a chair beside Yun-seo’s bed. The child’s forehead was still burning hot.

Yun-seo murmured in her sleep, "Mom..."

Her mother instantly took her hand. Watching them, it suddenly dawned on me. Perhaps medicine, in the end, is simply the act of refusing to let go of someone’s hand.


Rain Outside the Hospital Window


As morning approached, the rain grew heavier. I stood by the window sipping coffee, and a memory from a long time ago resurfaced.

Back during my residency, I had lost a child of a similar age. The diagnosis had been delayed. Perforation. Peritonitis. Septic shock. We fought all night to save that child.

But at 5:12 AM, the EKG monitor went flat.

Ever since that day, I have never taken abdominal pain lightly. Especially not in children.


Yun-seo’s Turnaround


By the afternoon, subtle changes began to show.

Her temperature dropped. The abdominal pain eased. The tenderness subsided. Her CRP was still high, but her clinical condition was improving.

The resident let out a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness..."

I nodded. But doctors know. True relief only comes months after discharge.

 

 

A Boy’s Dream

 

Towards evening, Yun-seo suddenly looked up at me.

"Doctor."

"Hmm?"

"Were you sick when you were little, too?"

I laughed. "A lot."

"With what?"

"Asthma."

Yun-seo’s eyes widened. "Were you scared then?"

I thought about it for a second. "Yeah. Not being able to breathe was the scariest thing."

Yun-seo said quietly, "When my stomach hurt, breathing felt scary to me, too."

Those words stayed with me, settling strangely deep in my heart. Pain often robs you of your breath.

 

The Hospital Rooftop

 

That night, I stepped out onto the hospital rooftop for a moment.

The rain had stopped, and the city lights looked slick and drenched. The distant wail of an ER siren echoed from afar.

And then, it hit me. Being a doctor means always standing close to the pain of others. We heal, but at the same time, we bear witness to countless sorrows. And those memories accumulate somewhere deep inside our bodies.

Like a Meckel’s diverticulum. A remnant of time that should have vanished, yet remains.

 

Yun-seo’s Smile

 

The next morning, Yun-seo was eating a banana instead of porridge.

I feigned utter shock. "You can eat now?"

Yun-seo smiled. "I'm hungry."

That single sentence brightened the entire ward. The nurse offered a small laugh. "She’s out of the woods now."

Hearing that, I thought to myself: a human being truly comes back to life when they can finally eat and smile.

[Medical Insight] The Critical Importance of Pediatric Abdominal Emergencies 


 

[Medical Recommendations]


On the day her rescheduled discharge was finalized, Yun-seo looked out the window of her hospital room.

"Doctor."

"Yeah?"

"I'm not scared of the hospital anymore."

I smiled. "Why's that?"

Yun-seo thought for a moment before answering. "Because the people here won't let me die."

For a second, I was speechless. That child already understood what a hospital truly is.

A hospital isn't a place where suffering gathers—it’s a place where someone refuses to give up on you until the very end.


To be continued "Part IV~~"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3