[Medical Human Story - Episode 69] The Memory of the Silent Bile Duct-3
Part II: When Disease and
Life Begin to Collide
A Night When the Fever Won’t Break
The night air in a university hospital
emergency room is, regardless of the season, always bizarrely heavy and damp.
Perhaps it is due to the fragments of life and death that are constantly pushed
across the cold linoleum floors. Yet, the corner of the ER where Seo-yoon was
brought that night felt uniquely colder and more ruthless.
"Professor, the emergency blood
work is back. The CRP (C-Reactive Protein) level is dozens of times higher than
normal and is rising rapidly. Her white blood cell count has also exceeded
18,000; the signs of systemic inflammatory response are clear."
The resident on duty’s voice came
urgently from behind the diagnostic monitor. The reported figures were far too
clear and pointed relentlessly in one direction.
Acute Bacterial Infection.
"What about the most important
vital signs? Are they unstable? What is her blood pressure?"
To my sharp inquiry, the resident
checked the chart repeatedly before replying, "Fortunately, her SBP
(systolic blood pressure) has not dropped below 100 and is barely holding
within the normal range. Her lactate level has not yet spiked."
"Thank goodness for that..."
I let out a sigh of relief. It meant
that she had not yet progressed to the stage of septic shock, where all the
body’s organs collapse simultaneously. However, the relief was fleeting. I knew
better than anyone that this was merely the very beginning of the long, arduous
battle Seo-yoon would have to face.
I approached her bed, where IV lines
and antibiotic drips were tangled like a web. Seo-yoon was curled up, shivering
violently despite the thick blanket, her eyes closed against the onslaught of
chills. Her rough, hot breath repeatedly clouded and vanished behind the oxygen
mask.
" Seo-yoon, can you hear me? Are
you conscious?"
At my call, she lifted her heavy
eyelids very slowly. Her eyes, unfocused from the high fever, were welled with
tears.
"Doctor… will I… be okay? I’m so
scared…"
My lips stiffened for a moment before
her fragile question. The evasive phrases I had used countless times as a
doctor flooded my mind.
"We are administering the most
effective, powerful antibiotics, so the fever will subside soon. Don't
worry."
Another 'you'll be fine' statement.
Yet, the weight of this sentence felt entirely different from the one I had
uttered in the outpatient clinic. A statement made in the ER, where clinical
numbers fluctuate in real-time, is like a desperate declaration—a momentary
pause on the timer of a time bomb that could explode at any second.
The Moment Illness Becomes Reality
Caroli disease, a rare congenital
disorder, usually remains in perfect silence, as if there were no problems at
all. The daily routine is so calm and peaceful that the patient often forgets
they are ill.
However, in that silence—the moment
bile begins to stagnate in the dilated bile duct pockets (Bile Stasis), and
intestinal bacteria that have traveled up from the duodenum take hold and begin
to multiply at a terrifying speed—the disease transforms 180 degrees into the
cruelest, most aggressive monster in the world.
[Insert Figure]
This state, where these three
pathological pathways intricately lock together and explode, is Acute Cholangitis. And the cruel
truth that haunts me most as a radiologist is the certainty that this infection
would not end with a single treatment; it would be a "recurring and
repetitive" struggle throughout the patient's life whenever their immunity
dipped.
Treatment Has Begun, But...
Through the venous line, the
highest-grade broad-spectrum antibiotics were administered, and cold fluids
flowed rapidly through her vessels.
By past 4:00 AM, Seo-yoon's body
temperature fortunately began to drop little by little, from 38.9°C to 37.5°C,
and her labored breathing gradually stabilized. As the erratic graphs on the ER
monitor began to draw gentle curves, the medical staff finally let out a sigh
of relief.
But I could never feel at ease. My
gaze, fixed on her hepatobiliary images on the diagnostic monitor, only grew
darker. I knew too well that for a Caroli disease patient, antibiotic treatment
is merely a temporary fix—it puts out the fire that has spilled over the
surface while leaving the "trash" piled up inside the pockets
untouched. This is not a disease that is "cured" by simply taking
medicine; it is a "cycle of repetition" that can re-explode at any
moment due to its structural flaws.
A Guardian’s Tears
As the day dawned, Seo-yoon’s mother,
who had rushed over upon receiving the news, entered the intensive care unit
with disheveled hair. Seeing her daughter’s gaunt face and the numerous needles
in her arms, she collapsed, gripping the hem of my gown.
"Doctor… until last night, she
was just a child who came home from work and smiled. How is it that in just a
few hours, she has become someone fighting for her life? What did we do
wrong?"
To the mother’s blood-chilling
question, I had to explain again, quietly yet clearly, recalling the drawing I
had made on paper.
"Ma'am, this is not Seo-yoon’s
fault, nor is it yours. The bile duct pockets in Seo-yoon 's liver are too
wide, preventing the bile from flowing smoothly, which causes it to pool. Just
as stagnant water rots, the bacteria entered the pooled bile and multiplied
instantly, causing this infection."
The mother burst into tears and
squeezed my hand tightly.
"Then… does our Seo-yoon have to
spend her whole life suffering like this, suddenly running high fevers and
collapsing? Does she have to repeat this horrible nightmare forever?"
Faced with that honest, heartbreaking
question, I could not bring myself to utter a deceitful, "No, she will be
fine now." An amateurish consolation from a doctor only returns to the
patient as greater despair later on. Instead, I gritted my teeth and conveyed
my resolve with different words.
"To ensure that doesn't happen,
we must manage this tenaciously to delay the recurrence of inflammation as much
as possible and prevent the liver from being damaged. I will help you until the
end."
The War Named Prevention
Among the many realms of medicine,
'prevention' is a struggle dozens of times more difficult and lonely than
'treatment,' which fixes a disease that has already occurred. Treatment is the
process of firing missiles at a clear, visible enemy (inflammation levels, high
fever), whereas prevention is the act of building walls all night long to stop
a transparent ghost that has yet to reveal itself and could appear anytime,
anywhere.
The chronic management of Caroli
disease is that very brutal war called prevention. When an infection breaks
out, we can temporarily suppress it by pouring in powerful antibiotics. But as
long as the anatomical structure—where the bile ducts are inflated like
balloons—remains unchanged, ensuring that bacteria do not penetrate those
pockets again is an unimaginably difficult task, even with modern medical
technology.
📦 [Medical
Insight] Caroli Disease — Step-by-Step Treatment Strategy
Discharge, and Anxiety
After a week of intensive antibiotic
injections and fluid therapy, Seoyun was finally cleared for discharge. Both
her white blood cell and CRP counts had dropped into the normal range, and the
jaundice had noticeably faded.
Yet, as she shed her hospital gown and
changed into her regular clothes, Seo-yoon’s face was filled with a darkness
and anxiety much deeper than when she had first visited the clinic three months
prior. Clutching her discharge papers, she asked me cautiously, "Doctor…
am I really all better and going home now? Am I not sick anymore?"
The question, coming from a patient
who had personally experienced the terror of the disease, carried far more
weight than before. Hiding the bitterness rising in my chest, I had no choice
but to give the same answer.
"Yes, Seo-yoon. At least for your
'current state,' the inflammation has cleared completely, and you are normal, so
you can be discharged with peace of mind."
Life Outside the Hospital
The moment patients push open the
heavy gray doors of the hospital and step out into the outside world, where the
dazzling sunlight pours down, they return as ordinary members of society. They
become 'ordinary people' in daily life—squeezing onto crowded subways, drinking
coffee at cafes, and chatting with friends.
However, beneath the surface of that
fresh daily life, deep inside her liver under her right ribs, nothing was over.
The pale, stretched bile duct pockets still existed, holding their breath, and
the bile had merely begun to stagnate again at a very slow pace. As a doctor, I
was clearly aware of that invisible truth through the screen, and Seo-yoon was
also becoming painfully aware of it through the memory of the horrific high
fever her body had endured. A shadow of the invisible disease cast a long trail
behind her as she left the hospital.
The Pain Returns
Exactly one month later, on the
morning of our scheduled follow-up appointment. The moment I saw Seo-yoon’s
gait as she walked through the door of the clinic, my brow furrowed slightly.
Her shoulders were hunched a bit more than when she was discharged a month ago.
"Seo-yoon, have you been alright
this past month? How are you feeling these days?"
She hesitated, unable to answer my
question readily, then bit her lower lip and confessed quietly.
"…For the first two weeks after
discharge, I was really fine, so I thought I was completely cured. I ate well
with my coworkers... but… lately, the pain comes back every now and then."
I nodded silently, as if I knew this
was coming. It was a predictable course, one observed all too often in Caroli
disease patients. It might not be a massive explosion of cholangitis, but
rather an intermittent, dull ache that occurs whenever the stagnant bile
irritates the bile duct walls. Though it may be an 'expected course' to a
doctor who has seen it countless times, to a twenty-four-year-old patient who
must bear it with her own body, every moment is a novel terror and pain that
shakes the roots of her life.
The Horror of Repetition
"Doctor… whenever my stomach even
twinges, my heart starts pounding. I’m scared I’ll be rushed back to the ER
with a sudden high fever like last time. Do I have to be hospitalized
again?"
What was etched in her eyes was not
just fear of physical pain. It was a "vast terror of a predictable
future" that she could not control and did not know when it would arrive.
"Seo-yoon, the pain you feel now
is, fortunately, likely just caused by simple bile stasis, without a fever. There
is no need to be hospitalized immediately. However…"
I looked her straight in the eye and
added firmly, "If you experience chills where your body trembles along
with the pain, or if your fever goes even slightly above 38 degrees, you must
never try to endure it at home by taking Tylenol. At that moment, do not
hesitate for even a single second; you must run straight to our hospital's
emergency room. Do you understand?"
She nodded weakly. But her eyes were
losing the clear light of youth they had held three months ago. I could see the
repetitive nature of the disease slowly gnawing at her soul.
When Life Plans Collapse
"Doctor…"
As she was about to leave the clinic, Seo-yoon
stopped with her hand on the doorknob and called me softly.
"Yes, Seo-yoon. Is there anything
else you are curious about?"
"Actually… there is a company I
really wanted to work for that I’ve been preparing for a long time since
graduating from university. The final interview and the full hiring process
begin next month…"
She couldn't bring herself to continue
and bowed her head.
"But… with a body that hurts
every other month like this, and not knowing when I’ll be rushed to the ER
again, can I really start a normal working life like everyone else? What if I
get sick during an interview? I’m so upset—what if I just end up being a burden
to the company and end up giving up on everything?"
Listening to her trembling voice, I
turned my eyes away from the monitor screen filled with medical jargon and
looked at the life of the human, Kim Seo-yoon.
The cruel entity that is disease does
not simply destroy a human’s biological body. It ruthlessly collapses and
strips away, in a single moment, the trajectory of life and the beautiful plans
for the future that a person has meticulously built up over a long time.
The Doctor's Role
After she left, I sat in the empty
clinic, lost in deep thought.
'What on earth are we doctors? Does
our role end by simply returning the numbers on a monitor to normal and calming
the inflammation? Wouldn't a "true doctor" be one who, beyond fixing
a patient’s broken body, peers into and supports the daily life and life plans
of a person shattered by disease?'
A few days later, during her follow-up
visit, I spoke to her, cautiously yet with the most confident tone I could
muster, as she fidgeted with her job application documents.
"Seo-yoon, do not give up on the
wonderful dreams and future you have because of this disease before you even
begin. If we carefully adjust the medication dosage and set up your regular
check-up schedule to fit your work life, you can absolutely manage a career. I
will take perfect responsibility for managing your body, so you should walk
your own path with confidence."
At my words, Seo-yoon looked at me and
asked in a trembling voice, "Really…? Can I really work like everyone else
instead of being a troublesome patient?"
I nodded vigorously without a word. It
was the warmest, most realistic blueprint for hope I could offer her as a
doctor. Yet, in a corner of my heart, a shadow of the imperfect truth still
hung heavily—that this could never be a 100% perfect guarantee.
Another Test
I prescribed an additional
high-precision MRI follow-up to check how the internal structure of Seo-yoon's
liver had changed over the past month and whether the disease was progressing
out of sight.
"Seo-yoon, regular high-resolution
imaging is essential to catch the changes in the bile ducts that are invisible
to our eyes. Let’s proceed with the test, even if it’s a bit cumbersome."
Seo-yoon nodded calmly, as if treating
it like a familiar routine, no longer showing much resistance. The fact that
stepping into the cold, enclosed MRI machine at the age of twenty-four had
become a part of her life and daily routine was, in itself, a truly sorrowful
reality.
📦
[Medical Insight] The Clinical Importance of MRI Follow-ups in Caroli Disease
Unexpected Changes
A few days later, Seo-yoon’s new MRI
images were uploaded to the diagnostic system. I turned off the lights in the
diagnostic room, turned the mouse wheel, and began to compare the images from
her ER admission last month with those of today side-by-side on the monitor.
Then, my finger stopped on the mouse
wheel once again.
"…!"
Seo-yoon’s liver images, filling the
screen, were crueler than I had expected. Compared to a month ago, the
diameters of the dilated bile duct pockets located in the posterior segment of
the right lobe were noticeably more inflated, and above all, the liver parenchyma
shadows around those pockets had turned coarse.
It was a sign of early Hepatic Fibrosis, where the
liver cells around the bile ducts were being destroyed and replaced by hard,
fibrous tissue due to chronic bile stasis and the shock of the recent acute
inflammation; and new micro-inflammatory changes were rising like mist.
I stared at the monitor screen, let
out a deep sigh, and whispered quietly.
"Quietly hiding… You are
progressing much faster than I thought."
The Moment to Speak
The next day in the outpatient
clinic, Seo-yoon sat in the chair with expectant eyes. I intentionally took my
gaze away from the cold diagnostic monitor and looked into her eyes. As a
doctor, this moment of facing the truth and delivering it to a patient is
always brutal.
"Seo-yoon, I have compared the
MRI images taken this time with those from your time in the ER very
carefully."
Instinctively feeling a sense of
crisis at my heavy tone, she tightened her grip on her bag. The air in the
clinic froze in an instant.
"Is it… much worse? What is
happening inside my body?"
"It is by no means drastically
worse, as if something will happen tomorrow. Please don't worry too much.
However… the bile duct pockets behind the right lobe of your liver have widened
a little more than we expected, and new, small, chronic inflammation marks are
observed around them. In short, it means the disease is continuing to
'progress' little by little, even in silence."
The Meaning of Silence
After I finished speaking, Seo-yoon
lowered her head slowly once again. Deep shadows were cast beneath her long
eyelashes. After staring at the floor for a long time, she finally asked a
question in a very quiet, fragile voice that tore through my heart.
"…Doctor, is there any way to
forcibly stop this progression happening inside my body? I will do whatever you
tell me to do, so can’t you just make it stop right here, as it is?"
Faced with that desperate plea, I
could not burst out with any answer.
Because her question was in the realm
of a massive limitation that modern hepatobiliary medicine—and a mere doctor
like me in a white coat—has yet to fully answer. There is no brake in this
world yet that can perfectly stop the clock of progressive fibrosis caused by
structural congenital developmental abnormalities with human hands.
The Limitations of a Doctor
I know. I know that modern medicine
has developed brilliantly to diagnose countless rare diseases that were once
untreatable, to prevent immediate sepsis with powerful antibiotics, and to
perform incredible feats like replacing entire organs with superior surgical
techniques.
But on the other hand, we remain
incredibly powerless before the great providence of the human body, and there
exist absolute limitations that we cannot perfectly control the massive,
dominant flow of disease that moves in silence, nor can we prevent all
deterioration. And the 'fact of that helpless limitation' that I must face
every moment as a doctor always presses down on my shoulders, heavy and cruel.
The Shadow of a Second Crisis
After sending Seo-yoon away that
afternoon and organizing her chart, I had no choice but to be convinced of one
sad fact in my heart.
The minute, chronic inflammatory
changes currently progressing inside her liver would inevitably trigger a
"second acute crisis" in the not-too-distant future. And I had a
sinister premonition that the shockwave of the second infection and pain would
be far more grueling and harder to treat than the first crisis when she was
rushed to the ER. This was because the normal liver parenchyma that served as a
defensive barrier was already shrinking little by little.
The Approaching Choice
Congenital intrahepatic bile duct
dilation, or Caroli disease, eventually forces a cruel "moment of
choice" upon the patient and the doctor as time passes.
Will we continue conservative
treatment, holding on somehow with internal medicine and antibiotics, or will
we proceed with surgical resection to cut out the entire area of the liver
where the lesions are concentrated? Or, if that is not an option, will we
choose the path of a liver transplant, emptying everything and planting a new
organ before the entire liver is ruined?
And the small inflammatory marks
blooming in Seo-yoon’s MRI images were silently warning that the decisive
moment to cast the dice of that cruel choice was approaching at a much faster
speed than we had anticipated.
[Medical Suggestion — Part II]
I finished signing Seo-yoon’s final outpatient chart and
closed the computer monitor, thinking:
This is not simply a one-dimensional
problem of prescribing medication and adjusting levels. This is a desperate
battle against time, fighting against the cruel "time of disease"
that flows in the unseen places to protect the beautiful youth and the life trajectory
of a human being.
And sadly, this lonely coalition
formed by Seo-yoon and me, her doctor, was only just passing through the rough,
initial stages of that vast and cruel war. The sound of life and disease
colliding head-on was growing louder, little by little, beyond the invisible
bile ducts.
|
This story is a web novel adapted from the content at: https://leesangbock.blogspot.com/2026/06/caroli-disease-mri-central-dot-sign-radiology-guide.html |
To be continued. "Part III:"

Comments
Post a Comment