A Doctor’s Clinical Diary Episode 40-The Silence in the Throat:A Story of Arteria Lusoria

 A Story of Arteria Lusoria


 


Prologue

What a Stethoscope Cannot Hear

I have worn a white coat for fifteen years.
Long enough for the fabric to lose its stiffness,
long enough for people to assume that experience eventually becomes certainty.

They often ask me,
“After all these years, can’t you tell what’s wrong just by looking?”

I always hesitate before answering.

Because medicine does not fail for lack of knowledge.
It fails when we listen only for what we expect to hear.

A stethoscope hears faithfully.
It captures the cadence of the heart,
the whisper of air moving through lungs.
CT scanners reveal anatomy with astonishing honesty—
bones, vessels, shadows arranged in precise grayscale.

But no instrument can hear
the fear a child swallows with his food,
or the quiet guilt a parent carries home every evening.

This is not a story about a rare vascular anomaly.
It is a story about a boy
whose body had been speaking for years
in a language no one thought to translate.


Chapter 1

The Child Who Couldn’t Swallow

It was nearly the end of clinic hours when the nurse knocked.

“One more patient,” she said softly.
“They’ve been told everything is normal.”

That sentence, in medicine, often means the opposite.

An eight-year-old boy entered my office, holding his mother’s hand.
He was smaller than most children his age,
his shoulders subtly drawn inward,
as if protecting something fragile behind his ribs.

“This is Ji-hoon,” his mother said.
Her voice was calm, practiced.
She had explained this story many times before.

“He has trouble swallowing.”

“When did it start?” I asked.

She exhaled slowly.
“Years ago.
At first, we thought he was just picky.
Then anxious.
Then… dramatic.”

Ji-hoon avoided eye contact, studying the floor tiles with intense focus.

“Can you show me where it hurts?” I asked him.

He lifted a small hand and touched the base of his neck.

“It feels like something is stuck,” he said.
“All the time.”

That was when I stopped typing.

Children rarely exaggerate symptoms.
They lack the vocabulary to do so.
What they offer instead is honesty—
unfiltered, uncomfortable honesty.

And honesty, in medicine, is often the rarest clue.


Chapter 2

A Complaint That Wouldn’t Fit

His chart was thick.

Gastroesophageal reflux.
Anxiety-related dysphagia.
Functional swallowing disorder.

Each diagnosis made sense in isolation.
None explained everything.

Ji-hoon avoided solid food.
He drank excessive water during meals.
He ate slowly, cautiously, as if every bite required negotiation.

More troubling was what followed.

He had stopped growing normally.
He dreaded school lunches.
Birthday parties became performances of avoidance.

“Does it ever happen with liquids?” I asked.

“Sometimes,” the mother replied.
“But solids are worse.”

That mattered.

True psychogenic dysphagia rarely respects texture.
Structural problems do.

I leaned back and let silence do its work.

There are moments in medicine when intuition is not guesswork.
It is memory.

In the quiet space between her words,
a forgotten diagram surfaced in my mind—
an anatomical variation buried in the margins of textbooks.


Chapter 3

The Vessel That Took the Wrong Path

“May I explain something a little unusual?” I asked.

The mother nodded.

“Most blood vessels follow predictable paths,” I said,
sketching a simple aortic arch on paper.
“But sometimes, one doesn’t.”

I pointed to a branching vessel.



“There is a rare anatomical variation called Arteria Lusoria.”

She frowned slightly.
“Is that… serious?”

“It’s not a disease,” I said.
“It’s a variation.
But sometimes, variations matter.”

In this condition,
the artery supplying the right arm originates from the far end of the aortic arch
and passes behind the esophagus.

Every swallow becomes a negotiation
between food and blood flow.

The medical term is Dysphagia Lusoria.

To Ji-hoon,
it was simply fear at the dinner table.


Chapter 4

When the Scan Finally Spoke

CT angiography is a quiet test.


No dramatic sounds, no immediate answers.

Two days later, the images appeared on my screen.

There it was.

A vessel crossing where it should never have crossed.
Silent. Unyielding.

“Classic,” the radiologist said.
“Posterior esophageal compression.”

I stared at the image longer than necessary.

Years of discomfort,
summarized in one grayscale curve.

When I showed the scan to Ji-hoon’s mother,
she covered her mouth.

“So… it wasn’t in his head?”

“No,” I said gently.
“It never was.”

She cried—not loudly.
The restrained tears of someone
who has been holding herself together for too long.

“I told him to eat faster,” she whispered.
“I told him to stop complaining.”

Diagnosis is not merely a label.
Sometimes, it is permission to forgive yourself.


Chapter 5

The Weight of a Decision

Not every case of Arteria Lusoria requires surgery.
Many people live entire lives unaware of its presence.

But Ji-hoon’s case was different.

Persistent dysphagia.
Growth delay.
Psychological distress.

The vessel was not just an anatomical curiosity.
It was an obstacle.

The cardiothoracic surgeons reviewed the images.

“The compression is significant,” one said.
“Surgical correction would be reasonable.”

Surgery, however, is never a simple recommendation.

I explained everything to Ji-hoon’s mother—
the risks, the process, the uncertainty.

She listened quietly.

“If he can eat without fear,” she said finally,
“that’s enough for me.”

Some decisions are made not from courage,
but from exhaustion.


Chapter 6

Waiting Outside the Operating Room

On the morning of surgery,
Ji-hoon lay quietly on the hospital bed.

“What scares you the most?” I asked.

He thought for a moment.

“That it won’t work.”

Children understand disappointment better than we think.

Outside the operating room,
his mother clasped her hands together, unmoving.

Waiting is the most difficult treatment we prescribe.
It demands trust without offering distraction.

When the surgeon emerged hours later,
his smile was small but real.

“The vessel has been repositioned,” he said.
“The esophagus is free.”

Medicine rarely offers certainty.
But sometimes, it offers relief.


Chapter 7

The First Swallow

Recovery was cautious.

Water first.
Then soft foods.

Ji-hoon hesitated before each attempt,
as if his body needed time
to believe what his anatomy now allowed.

“It didn’t get stuck,” he said softly.

That was his first postoperative report.

A week later, he finished a full meal.

“I’m not scared anymore,” he told me.

Fear, once learned,
takes time to unlearn.


Epilogue

Returning to the Table

One month later, Ji-hoon walked into my clinic on his own.

“I like pork cutlets now,” he announced.

His mother laughed—a sound I had not heard before.

Arteria Lusoria is often called
lusus naturae
a trick of nature.

But there was nothing playful about
what it took from this family.

Medicine is not always about curing disease.
Sometimes, it is about restoring trust—
in one’s body,
in one’s voice,
in being believed.

That night, I wrote in my diary:

Patients always tell us the truth.
Our task is not to interrupt them with assumptions.

- The end -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3