A Physician’s Clinical Diary-Episode 47: A Lonely Flower in the Crevices of the Mind(3)


120 Days Fighting the Solitary Fibrous Tumour of the Dura

 [Reversal: Insights Gained Between Life and Death]


The Day of Reckoning

The 120-day follow-up MRI appointment arrived with an unsettling stillness.

Hospitals have a way of amplifying time. Minutes stretch into emotional eternities, especially when patients face imaging results after brain tumor surgery for Dural Solitary Fibrous Tumour (SFT).

Minseo arrived early that morning. She wore a pale blue dress, her hair grown just enough to soften the surgical scar beneath.

“Doctor,” she said quietly, “I didn’t sleep last night.”

“That’s normal,” I reassured her. “Even doctors feel anxious waiting for MRI results.”

She smiled faintly, but her fingers trembled around her coffee cup.


Reading the Silence of Images

MRI interpretation is less about looking and more about listening.

Radiological images speak in shadows, densities, and contrast enhancement patterns. For postoperative Dural Solitary Fibrous Tumour patients, we search for three primary dangers:

• Residual tumor tissue
• Local recurrence
• Distant intracranial spread

The scan loaded slowly onto my workstation.

Slice by slice.

Coronal plane.
Axial plane.
Sagittal reconstruction.

Nothing.

No enhancing lesion.

No abnormal vascular proliferation.

No new mass effect.

The surgical cavity appeared stable—clean, quiet, almost serene.

For several seconds, I simply stared.

Not because I doubted the result.

Because relief sometimes requires confirmation from disbelief.


I turned toward her.

“The MRI is clear.”

She blinked twice as though translating a foreign language.

“Clear… means?”

“No recurrence. No residual tumor. Your brain is healing beautifully.”

Her husband covered his face with both hands. His shoulders shook silently.

Minseo, however, did not cry.

She whispered instead,

“I feel… guilty.”


Survivor’s Paradox

Survivor’s guilt is rarely discussed in neurosurgical oncology literature, yet it frequently appears in patients recovering from rare brain tumors such as Solitary Fibrous Tumour of the Dura.

“Why guilty?” I asked gently.

“There were patients in the ICU who didn’t wake up,” she said quietly. “Why was I allowed to come back?”

I paused before answering.

“Survival is not permission,” I said. “It is a responsibility.”

She stared at me, absorbing the concept.

“Responsibility to what?”

“To live deliberately.”


📚 Medical Insight

 

Psychological adjustment after survival from rare brain tumors often involves existential restructuring. Studies show survivors frequently experience identity transformation, heightened mortality awareness, and increased life purpose.


The Doctor’s Confession

Later that afternoon, during her discharge consultation, Minseo asked a question I had spent fifteen years avoiding.

“Doctor… have you ever lost a patient with this tumor?”

“Yes,” I answered honestly.

Her expression softened—not in fear, but understanding.

“What happens to you when that happens?”

I looked toward the window where winter sunlight diffused through sterile glass.

“A small part of me never returns to normal,” I said.

She nodded slowly.

“I think that part of you is why you saved me.”


The Unexpected Return

At postoperative day 135, Minseo returned unexpectedly without an appointment.

Her face carried tension.

“Doctor… I had a headache yesterday.”

My clinical instincts sharpened instantly. Headache recurrence in postoperative Dural SFT patients demands careful evaluation due to potential recurrence or delayed intracranial complications.

“Any visual disturbance? Nausea? Weakness?” I asked.

“No… just pain,” she said nervously.

We performed an urgent neurological examination.

Normal findings.

To reassure her—and myself—I ordered an additional MRI.


The scan remained clear.

Her headache was diagnosed as tension-type cephalalgia.

When I delivered the reassurance, she burst into tears.

“I thought it was back,” she whispered.


📚 Medical Insight

 

Not all headaches in postoperative brain tumor patients indicate recurrence. Differentiating tension headache, medication withdrawal, or cervical musculoskeletal pain from tumor recurrence requires imaging confirmation.


The Moment of Emotional Collapse

Minseo’s emotional release that afternoon revealed something deeper than fear.

“I wake up every morning wondering if today is the day it comes back,” she admitted.

Post-treatment anxiety is one of the most underdiagnosed conditions among brain tumor survivors.

“Fear of recurrence is common,” I explained. “Your brain remembers trauma even after the tumor disappears.”

She looked exhausted.

“How do people live like this?”

I answered with complete sincerity.

“They don’t eliminate fear. They negotiate with it.”


Teaching Hope Through Medicine

Over the next few weeks, I introduced Minseo to survivorship counseling, mindfulness-based stress reduction therapy, and cognitive behavioral strategies.

Evidence shows psychological interventions significantly improve the quality of life among survivors of rare intracranial tumors such as Dural Solitary Fibrous Tumour.

One afternoon, she told me,

“I started journaling like you.”

“What do you write?” I asked.

“Gratitude lists,” she said. “Today I wrote: ‘I am grateful my brain is quiet.’”

That sentence remained with me long after clinic hours.


The Library Returns

Six months after surgery, Minseo resumed full-time work.

She organized a reading program for children diagnosed with chronic illnesses. She called it:

“Stories That Heal.”

When she invited me to visit, I watched her read fairy tales to children wearing hospital masks and IV bracelets.

Her voice carried warmth shaped by survival.

Afterward, she introduced me to the children.

“This is the doctor who removed my brain monster,” she said playfully.

I felt strangely humbled.


The Global Perspective

During international neurosurgical conferences, discussions about Solitary Fibrous Tumour of the Dura frequently emphasize surgical technique, immunohistochemistry, and molecular markers such as NAB2-STAT6 gene fusion.

But rarely do conferences discuss human transformation.

I presented Minseo’s case anonymously during one such conference.

My concluding slide read:

“The greatest prognostic factor is not histology alone. It is the patient’s will to reconstruct identity after disease.”

The room remained silent.

Not because the data was controversial.

Because it was deeply human.


The Doctor’s Awakening

One evening, nearly seven months after surgery, I reviewed my accumulated case logs.

I realized something unsettling.

I had documented tumor sizes meticulously.
I had recorded surgical blood loss precisely.
I had tracked recurrence intervals statistically.

But I had never documented laughter frequency.

Nor the emotional rebirth of survivors.

That night, I wrote a new clinical category in my private journal:

“Psychological remission.”


The Conversation About Death

During her eight-month follow-up visit, Minseo asked quietly,

“Doctor… if it comes back someday… will you tell me honestly?”

“Yes.”

“And will you still fight with me?”

“Yes.”

She nodded.

“That is enough.”

Medicine often mistakes cure as the ultimate outcome.

But sometimes, companionship through uncertainty becomes the true therapeutic endpoint.


The Changing Definition of Time

Minseo began measuring life differently.

Not by years.

But for moments, she almost lost:

• Reading bedtime stories
• Watchingthe  rain with her daughters
• Cooking breakfast together

She told me once,

“I used to plan ten years ahead. Now I celebrate ten minutes fully.”


📚 Medical Insight

Post-traumatic growth frequently results in altered time perception among cancer and rare tumor survivors, increasing present-focused life satisfaction.


The Doctor Who Learned to Pause

I noticed subtle changes in myself.

I began sitting longer with patients.
I asked about families more often.
I allowed silence to exist during consultations.

Minseo unknowingly rewrote my clinical rhythm.


Approaching the One-Year Threshold

Medical literature indicates that the recurrence risk of Dural Solitary Fibrous Tumour persists long-term, but early postoperative stability beyond one year significantly improves prognosis.

As Minseo approached her one-year MRI, she appeared calmer than before.

“Doctor,” she said, smiling softly, “If fear is permanent… maybe peace can be permanent too.”

To be continued!

https://medicalhumanstory.blogspot.com/2026/02/a-physicians-clinical-diary-episode-47_0573750816.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3