[Medical Human Story–Time Hidden Beneath the Skin]–Episode 50–Hidradenitis Suppurativa(3)
The Silent Inflammation Blooming on the Nape of the Neck
Part III- Sinus
Tracts: The Invisible Tunnels
A disease often runs deeper in the shadows than in the visible wounds it
leaves behind. In the story of Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS), the true
protagonist is not the abscess on the surface, but the sinus tract—the
silent, burrowing tunnel beneath the skin.
One morning, he returned to the clinic. A patch of gauze was taped to his
nape; his face looked drawn and weary. “It burst again last night.” I nodded in
quiet acknowledgement. That is how a sinus tract asserts its presence: by
rupturing, draining, and then sealing itself off, only to repeat the cycle.
The Architecture of Time
“Doctor, why do these pathways form?” he asked, staring at the MRI
monitor. I magnified a cross-section of the image. “When inflammation recurs
relentlessly, the body tries to create an exit for the pus. That passage is a
sinus tract.” “My body made this itself?” “Yes. It is a biological response for
survival.” He fell silent for a moment. “So... my own body is attacking me?” I
shook my head. “It’s not so much an attack as it is an overreaction. HS is a
chronic inflammatory condition where the immune system becomes hyperactive.”
His wife asked in a low voice, “What happens if these paths keep getting
longer?” “The tracts begin to interconnect,” I said candidly. “They form a vast
network of tunnels. At that stage, the scope of surgery becomes much broader.”
I noticed a faint tremor in his hand.
An Invisible Map Rendered in Light
I scrolled through the Axial T2 and STIR sequences. “Every one of these
white lines is a sinus tract.” He studied the screen for a long time before
speaking. “It looks so small from the outside... is it really this complex
underneath?” “Yes. In Hidradenitis Suppurativa of the nape, the internal
lesions are often far more extensive than what we see on the surface.” He let
out a heavy sigh. “What stage am I in now?” “I would evaluate you between
Hurley Stage II and III.” “Is that... severe?” the wife asked softly. “It is
certainly past the early stages. However,” I added, “there is no muscle
involvement yet. That is a silver lining.”
The Scent and the Silence
“The smell... that’s the hardest part,” he whispered, his voice barely
audible. “I’m constantly worried people will notice.” I did not look away.
“Many patients with HS say the same. Because of the odor, they begin to avoid
people. They withdraw from the world.” His wife swallowed back tears. “He won’t
even go to company dinners anymore...” He offered a bitter smile. “I have
plenty of excuses.”
In that moment, I felt something no medical textbook could teach. While
the inflammation begins beneath the skin, the deepest wounds are those carved
into one's relationships.
The Biological Intervention
“We should start you on a biologic agent,” I suggested. He looked up. “An
injection?” “Yes. A drug that blocks TNF-α. It cuts off the inflammatory
pathway at its source.” “Are there side effects?” “As an immunosuppressant, it
can increase the risk of infection. However, it is currently the most
evidence-based treatment for moderate-to-severe HS.” “Does this mean he won’t
need surgery?” his wife asked hopefully. “We will observe his response first.”
He nodded. “Let’s do it.” In those three words, I heard both dread and hope.
The Shadow on the Spine
I recalled the cervical MRI. “How is the neck pain?” “Still stiff every
morning.” “There is a possibility of Ankylosing Spondylitis. I’d like to
refer you to Rheumatology for a consultation.” “Is that part of the same
problem?” the wife asked. “The inflammatory pathways are similar. TNF-α is the
common thread.” He spoke quietly. “I don’t understand why my body is creating
all this inflammation...” I had no answer. Medicine explains the how,
but it rarely answers the why—why this specific person, at this specific
time.
The Season of Waiting
Six weeks passed since the start of treatment. He walked back into the
clinic. “The swelling has gone down a bit.” Indeed, the edema on his nape had
visibly receded. However, the tracts remained. “They haven't disappeared
completely.” “No,” I replied. “The sinus tracts are now structural. They are
permanent tunnels.” “So, in the end... surgery?” his wife asked. I nodded.
“Medicine can quench the fire, but it cannot remove the tunnels the fire left
behind.” He bowed his head. “I have to have them cut out, then.”
The Meaning of the Tunnel
I thought to myself: a sinus tract is not merely a passage. It is a
physical trace of repeated time. From that first day a follicle was blocked,
the body responded with fire. That fire carved a path—a history of pain. And
now, the time had come to sever that path.
The Consent Form
Comments
Post a Comment