Medical Human Story-Episode 52-The Time of the Aorta(1)

Thoracic Aortic Dissection and the Final Choice of a 78-Year-Old Man



Prologue

3:17 AM

The air in the Emergency Room is always cold. This is especially true in the dead of night. While the rest of the hospital sleeps in a deceptive silence, the ER is a place of violent transitions: somewhere, a heart is stopping; elsewhere, a new life is crowning; and in another corner, someone is preparing for their final breath.

I was staring at the monitor. My name is Elias Lee, a thoracic radiologist specializing in emergency film interpretation. On that particular morning, I read a man’s destiny in a single CT scan.

Beep—

The emergency page pierced the silence.

"Dr. Lee," said Kim Ji-hoon, the ER resident, catching his breath. "We have a 78-year-old male. He presented with acute chest pain".

I looked up. "When did it start?"

"About forty minutes ago," he replied, pausing for a moment. "The patient describes it as... 'like my chest is being torn apart'".

I rose slowly from my chair. "A tearing sensation..." Those words pointed to only one diagnosis: Thoracic Aortic Dissection.

The Emergency Room

The patient lay on the gurney—a frail elder with a lean frame. Cold sweat beaded across his forehead.

I stood at his side. "Hello. I am Dr. Elias Lee, from Radiology".

The old man struggled to open his eyes. "Doctor..." he whispered, his voice barely audible. "My chest... it hurts so much..."

"When did the pain begin?" I asked.

"Suddenly..." He gasped for air. "...it felt like I was being sliced open with a knife".

"Does the pain radiate to your back?"

He nodded, his eyes clamped shut. In that instant, a warning light flashed in my mind.


 

"What is his blood pressure?" I asked the nurse.

"180/100 in the left arm".

"And the right?".

The nurse checked again. "...150/90".

"There is a discrepancy," I noted quietly.

Ji-hoon, the resident, looked at me. "Doctor... you don't think...?".

I nodded. "The probability of an aortic dissection is high".

The CT Scan

The patient was immediately whisked away to the contrast-enhanced CT suite. To many, the CT scanner looks like a giant, sterile white tunnel, but to me, it is a window into the truth.

As the patient settled onto the table, I spoke through the intercom. "Hold your breath".

The machine whirred—a brief, mechanical drone. Seconds later, the image of the aorta flickered onto the monitor.

I held my breath. There it was.

The Line

Inside the aorta, there was a thin, delicate line. It was no ordinary mark; it was an intimal flap. The inner lining of the aorta had torn, forcing the blood to branch into two paths: the true lumen and the false lumen.

"The diagnosis is confirmed," I said flatly.

"What is it?" the resident asked.

I pointed to the screen. "Stanford Type A Thoracic Aortic Dissection".

His face went pale.


 

I magnified the image. The dissection tracked from the ascending aorta through the aortic arch and down into the descending aorta. Then I saw the worst news.

"Ji-hoon," I said.

"Yes...?"

"Look here." I pointed to a specific section of the monitor. "The dissection has extended into the left common carotid artery".

He swallowed hard. "Risk of cerebral ischemia..."

"Precisely".

The Patient's Name

I returned to the ER, where the patient was still groaning in agony.

"Sir, can you tell me your name?"

"Park... Jung-ho..." he managed to say.

I took his hand. "Mr. Park". His eyes met mine. I spoke clearly and slowly. "You are suffering from a very dangerous condition called a thoracic aortic dissection".

His daughter stood by his side, weeping. "Father... you’ll be okay, right?"

I remained silent for a beat. A doctor is someone who, at times, must be the bearer of hard truths. "We need to operate," I said.

"How... how dangerous is it?" the daughter asked.

"It is extremely dangerous," I replied honestly.

At that moment, Park Jung-ho smiled—a faint, ghostly expression. "Doctor..."

I leaned in closer. "Yes?"

"Will I... survive this?"

The air in the ER seemed to freeze. I couldn't find the words. I knew the reality: despite all medical advances, a Stanford Type A dissection remains a brutal race against time. And that race had already begun.

"We will... do our absolute best," I said finally.

He closed his eyes and whispered, "Then... I leave it to you".

I didn't know then that this man would become the most enduring memory of my career. Nor did I know that his story would become a testament to the human spirit in medicine.


Part I: The Torn Aorta and the Time Remaining

The ER clock read 3:42 AM. The CT scan had already told the whole story. I stared at the monitor, at that thin, haunting line: the intimal flap. The blood flow was split in two—the true lumen and the false lumen. It was a textbook case of thoracic aortic dissection, in its most lethal form: Stanford Type A.

The Decision

"Surgical team paged," Ji-hoon reported.

I nodded. "And the cardiovascular surgeon?"

"On his way".

I looked back at the scan. The ascending aorta was completely dissected, the tear traversing the aortic arch and reaching down into the descending aorta. I muttered to myself, "We’re out of time".


 

The Daughter

In the ER hallway, a woman was sobbing. It was Park Jung-ho’s daughter.

"Doctor..." Her eyes were already rimmed with red. "Is my father... is it that critical?".

I chose my words carefully. "Yes. It is a thoracic aortic dissection".

Seeing her confusion, I simplified it. "There is a main vessel that comes directly out of the heart". "That vessel has torn".

Her face drained of color. "Torn?"

"Yes. He needs immediate surgery".

"If he has the surgery... will he live?" It is the hardest question to answer.

"There is a chance," I said.

"How much of a chance?"

I paused, then gave it to her straight. "Roughly 70%."


 

The Patient’s Words

I stepped back into the room. Park Jung-ho was still fighting the pain.

"Doctor..." he called out. I approached him. "What did you say... the name of this was?"

"Thoracic aortic dissection," I replied.

He thought for a moment. "So... my aorta is torn?"

I nodded.

He closed his eyes. "So that’s why it hurts like this..."

I took his hand again. "We need to operate now".

He opened his eyes. "Will I be okay after the surgery?"

"It’s a high-risk procedure," I admitted.

He smiled—a look of surprising serenity. "Well... everyone dies eventually".

I was speechless.

"Doctor," he said, looking at me intently. I nodded. "Let me ask you one thing. What are the odds of me dying right now?"

I am a physician. Sometimes, I must be cruelly accurate. "Without surgery, it’s nearly 90%"

He nodded. "Then let's do the surgery".

Preparing the Theater

4:10 AM. The surgical lead, Professor Han Do-yoon of Cardiovascular Surgery, arrived.

"I’ve seen the images," he said, his eyes fixed on the monitor. "Classic Stanford Type A".

"The dissection extends to the carotid," I noted.

His eyes narrowed. "So we're looking at a risk of cerebral ischemia". He took a moment to think, then commanded, "Get him ready for surgery".


 

A Doctor’s Memory

As they moved the patient toward the operating theater, I stood in the corridor. My mind drifted back ten years to my first aortic dissection patient. That patient had died within thirty minutes of arrival because the aorta had ruptured completely. Since that day, I have never been able to forget this disease. Thoracic aortic dissection. It is a thief that comes without warning and steals a life in an instant.

The Daughter’s Question

The daughter caught me outside the OR. "Doctor," she asked, "why did this happen to him?"

"The most common cause is hypertension—high blood pressure," I explained.

She looked down. "...his blood pressure was always high".

"When blood pressure remains high over a long period, the walls of the aorta weaken," I said. "Eventually, the inner lining can give way".

Fresh tears fell from her eyes.


 

The Last Conversation

Just before passing through the OR doors, Park Jung-ho called out to me one last time. I leaned in.

"Doctor... if..." He looked into my eyes. "...if I don't wake up".

I couldn't find a reply.

He smiled. "Tell my daughter... tell her I'm sorry".

A weight settled in my chest. "You should tell her yourself," I urged.

He nodded slowly. "I suppose I should..."

The doors swung open. "Patient coming through," the nurse announced. I watched him go, wondering if he would ever see the morning sun.

The Doors Close

The doors hissed shut, and silence returned to the ER hallway. I checked my watch: 4:38 AM. Time now belonged to the surgeons. But I knew that for everyone involved, there would be no sleep until this was over. As long as medicine exists, the thoracic aortic dissection will always create the longest of nights.

To be continued!

https://medicalhumanstory.blogspot.com/2026/03/medical-human-story-episode-52-time-of_02146046341.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3