[Medical Human Story-Episode 54]- Calcified Times(1)
A narrative of humanity blooming amidst chronic renal failure and tumoral calcinosis
Prologue: Time Turned to Stone
I am a physician. And at
times, I am a witness recording the archives of human existence. My name is
Elias Lee. As a radiologist, I have spent my life deciphering thousands of CT
scans, MRIs, and X-rays. Yet, some images are more than mere medical data; they
hold the weight of a person’s life story.
That morning began like any
other. The hospital corridors carried their signature scent—the sharp tang of
disinfectant, the aroma of coffee, and a faint, lingering tension of lives
hanging in the balance. I entered the reading room, where computer monitors
cast a cool, blue luminescence into the darkness.
And then, it appeared.
A single X-ray of a pelvis
flickered onto the screen. I held my breath for a moment.
"This is..."
On the monitor was a strange,
calcified mass. Massive, symmetrical calcified tumors were settled around the
pubic symphysis. It looked as though someone had poured stones directly into a
human body.
I checked the patient's name:
Kim Tae-hoon, 42 years old. Then, I read his history: End-stage renal
failure. 12 years of hemodialysis.
I whispered to myself,
"Tumoral calcinosis". But that was not just a diagnosis. It was the
physical manifestation of twelve years of time.
The Encounter
That afternoon, I decided to
meet the patient in person. The clinic door opened, and a man walked in. His
gait was awkward, as if something heavy was anchoring him at the groin.
"Are you Mr. Kim
Tae-hoon?" I asked. He nodded. "Yes... Doctor".
I offered a smile. "I am
Elias Lee, a radiologist. I’ll be explaining your CT and X-ray results
today".
He hesitated before asking,
"Is it... cancer?" I shook my head. "No. It is not cancer".
His shoulders relaxed slightly.
But I had to deliver the next words slowly. "However... substances as hard
as stone are growing inside your body".
He stared at me. "Stones?" "Yes".
I turned the monitor toward
him. As the X-ray appeared, his eyes widened. "Is that... inside me?"
"Yes".
The image revealed massive
calcified masses, sitting symmetrically on both sides of the groin. They looked
like mountain ranges covered in snow. He remained silent for a long time. Then,
he spoke softly. "When did it... start?"
I couldn't answer. This was
not an illness that arrived suddenly. It was a disease crafted by time.
Returning to the Story
I looked at the patient. "Mr.
Tae-hoon, how many years have you been on dialysis?". "Twelve
years," he replied.
I nodded. "In that time,
many changes occur within the body". He chuckled softly. "I'm aware
of that".
On his arm, I saw the dialysis
access loop. That scar was a testament to how long this man had fought for
survival. I opened the CT scan. The enormous mass reappeared.
"This is the CT," I
said. He studied the screen. "It's... larger than I thought". "Yes".
I zoomed in. The CT showed it
more clearly: Lobulated amorphous calcification. And within it, a fluid-fluid
level. I explained, "It’s a phenomenon where calcium settles into
layers within the mass".
He struggled to process the
information. "Then... what about treatment?" After a brief silence,
I said, "It is possible".
His eyes flickered back to
life. But I knew this wasn't just a story about a disease. It was the history
of a man’s dialysis, a record of pain remembered by the body itself.
That night, I looked at the
images again. Though I had seen countless scans, these stayed with me. Calcification
is not just a lump of calcium. It is life itself, hardened into a physical form.
I quietly recorded the entry:
Patient: Kim Tae-hoon. Age: 42. Diagnosis: Tumoral Calcinosis secondary to
Chronic Renal Failure.
I felt that this man’s story
should not end as a mere medical record. So, I decided to write it down—not as
a doctor, but as one human being observing another.
Part I: Time That Began in the Dialysis Room
There is a place in the hospital that is both the
quietest and the most bustling with the ebb and flow of life: the dialysis room.
Every time I go there, I think the same thing: this is a space where time
stands still.
Opening the door, the
mechanical rhythm greeted me. Chick—chick—. The sound of blood flowing
through tubes; the steady pulse of the machines; the low murmurs of patients.
Kim Tae-hoon was lying in a
bed by the window. On his arm, an AV fistula was clearly visible—the lifeline
for anyone on dialysis. I pulled up a chair.
"Mr. Tae-hoon". He
turned his head. "Ah, Doctor". His expression was brighter than
expected.
"How are you feeling
today?" I asked. He laughed. "For someone on dialysis, it’s always
about the same".
After a moment, I carefully
broached the subject. "You mentioned pain in your groin?" He nodded.
"For a few months now". "Exactly how long?" He thought for
a second. "Maybe... a year?"
I was surprised. "A
year?" "At first, it felt like a small lump," he said,
gesturing to the area. "But it kept growing. Now, it's uncomfortable to
sit... even to walk".
I understood. The mass I saw
on the CT was roughly the size of two fists.
The Real Question
I asked him, "When did
you start dialysis?" "When I was thirty," he replied with a
smile. "The cause?" "Glomerulonephritis".
It was a familiar path:
Glomerulonephritis leading to Chronic Renal Failure, then dialysis. "At
first... I thought I was going to die," he confessed. "I didn't
realize dialysis would last this long. I thought if I held out for a year, I’d
get a transplant".
"Were you on the waiting
list?" I asked softly. He shook his head. "My father had diabetes, my
mother had high blood pressure... in the end, no one was a match". He
looked at the machine. "So I decided to just live with it. This machine is
my kidney now".
There were twenty patients in
that room. Some were reading, some were watching TV, and others were just closing their eyes.
"How long is each session?" "Four hours. Three times a
week".
I did the math. Over 600 hours
a year. For twelve years, that was more than 7,000 hours tethered to a machine.
"That must have been hard," I said. "You adapt," he replied.
Then his tone shifted. "But Doctor... this new thing is a bit scary. The
idea of stones growing inside me... it’s strange".
"What has been the
hardest part of these years?" I asked. "Time," he answered. "My
friends were all getting jobs, getting married... and I was here". He gestured
to the tubes. "But I'm alive, so it’s okay".
Just then, a woman entered the
room. "Oppa," she called. "You're here?" Tae-hoon smiled
and introduced her as his sister. She looked anxious as she asked about the
results.
In the consultation room, I showed
them the CT. She gasped. "Is it cancer?" "No," I reassured
her. Tears welled in her eyes from the relief. "But it is quite
large," I added. "Do I need surgery?" Tae-hoon asked. "It’s
an option," I said.
But I knew this story was only
beginning. That night, standing on the hospital roof in the cold air of
Cheongju, I thought about his life: twelve years of dialysis and the stones
that grew to mark the time. I didn't know then that this would become a medical
human drama that would stay in my memory forever.
Comments
Post a Comment