Medical Human Story – Episode 60] Tears Gathered in a Scar, A Promise of Life to Bloom Again_3
Search Description
A high-quality medical human story covering the causes of secondary infertility and persistent brown bleeding due to cesarean scar niches, precise diagnosis through MRI and hysterography-in-the-state (SIS), the actual surgical procedure of laparoscopic isthmoplasty, and the entire process leading to a successful pregnancy.
Part II: The Truth of 0.1 mm, on the Edge of a Collapsing Boundary
Facing the Uterus Again,
This Time ‘Precisely’
After deciding on surgery,
there was only one thing I had to do.
To understand it with precision.
With a vague diagnosis,
reconstructive surgery cannot be designed.
I guided Ms. Jisoo back into the examination room.
“This time, we’ll perform
a slightly different test.”
She nodded quietly.
She was already mentally prepared.
I prepared a thin catheter.
Saline Infusion Sonohysterography (SIS).
This is not a simple imaging test.
It is an examination that
forces hidden structures
to reveal themselves.
The Moment the Uterus
‘Opens’
Saline began to be infused slowly.
The endometrium gradually expanded.
Folded structures unfolded.
And then—
it appeared.
The Hidden Abyss
The moment the dark fluid
reached the lower uterus,
a space
began to expand there.
I paused the screen.
“Ms. Jisoo, can you see this?”
The Reality Revealed in
Numbers
I began the measurements.
• Diverticulum depth: 6.2 mm
• Opening width: 4.8 mm
• Residual Myometrial Thickness (RMT): 2.4 mm
These figures were unequivocal.
A structural defect of at least moderate severity.
Why 2.4 mm Matters
The myometrium
is not merely a wall.
It is
• a functional structure that sustains pregnancy,
• protects the fetus, and
• contracts during labor.
2.4 mm.
This value
falls within the risk threshold during pregnancy.
What the Imaging Reveals
I reviewed the MRI images again.
Ultrasound shows structure,
but MRI reveals the layers.
The Decisive Clue on MRI
On T2-weighted imaging,
the diverticulum
exhibits high signal intensity.
Around it—
an abnormally thinned myometrium.
And subtle fibrosis.
Traces of Invisible
Inflammation
The inside of the diverticulum
is not merely an empty space.
Within it, there exist:
• old blood
• inflammatory secretions
• degenerated endometrial tissue
This combination
creates a distinct biological environment.
“Why Can’t Sperm Pass
Through?”
Sperm are extremely sensitive.
Changes in pH, alterations in mucus, inflammatory reactions—
all of these factors
interfere with their movement.
In the end, the diverticulum
acts like a “filter.”
And the result is clear:
reproductive failure.
The Diagnosis Is Complete,
but the Conflict Begins
I organized all the data.
What remained now was the explanation.
But this stage
is always the most difficult.
What the Patient Hears Is
Not ‘Surgery’
This is what the patient hears:
• another incision
• another risk
• another possibility of failure
Ms. Jisoo was no different.
“Is there… a chance it
could get worse?”
Her question was precise.
I paused for a moment.
Then I answered honestly.
A Doctor’s Answer Always
Stands on a Balance
“There is a possibility.”
But I continued,
“However, in the current state,
There is very little chance
that things will improve.”
The Nature of Choice
In medicine,
every decision exists between two options:
• risk vs. stagnation
• intervention vs. watchful waiting
In Ms. Jisoo’s case,
The choice was clear.
The Goal of Surgery
I sketched a simple diagram on paper as I explained:
• removal of the diverticulum
• excision of inflamed tissue
• reconstruction of the myometrium
• restoration of normal structure
This is not a simple excision.
It is a reconstruction.
But the Real Issue Is
‘Psychology’
What is more difficult than the surgery itself
is the patient’s inner world.
Another Battle Begins at
Night
It was 11 p.m.
“Doctor… I can’t sleep.”
Another Variable Called
the Internet
She said,
“I looked it up…
There are so many cases of uterine rupture…”
I know that situation well.
The internet provides information,
But it does not provide context.
Fear Is Always Amplified
This is how patients interpret it:
• a 1% risk → almost inevitable
• a rare complication → a common outcome
This distortion
shakes decision-making.
I Spoke Firmly
“Ms. Jisoo,
that information is not incorrect.”
She held her breath.
And Then I Continued
“But
that is not ‘your case.’”
Medicine is not judged by averages,
but by the data of the individual patient.
Trust Begins with Data
I explained her test results again:
• the exact location
• the size of the defect
• the feasibility of surgical access
And I said,
“This is a structure that can be repaired.”
The Meaning of Those Words
Her eyes changed.
Anxiety → focus
Confusion → understanding
This shift is important.
Because
This moment marks the beginning of treatment.
The Final Preoperative
Visit
One week before surgery,
Ms. Jisoo returned to the hospital.
This time, she was quiet.
“I think I’m okay now.”
She spoke briefly.
“I’m still scared… but I’m okay.”
Those words
do not mean perfect courage.
They mean
a decision made
while acknowledging fear.
The Day Before Surgery, I
Organize the Records
Every surgery requires preparation.
But this one is a little different.
What I Review
• Re-evaluation of the MRI
• Assessment of possible adhesions
• Position of the bladder
• Surgical approach
And most importantly—
a contingency plan in case of failure
The World of 0.1 mm
This surgery
is not a macroscopic task.
Everything is microscopic:
• tissue thickness
• vascular location
• depth of dissection
0.1 mm.
That difference
determines complications.
The Boundary Between Medicine
and Art
I always feel it.
At this moment, surgery is not science.
It is
a form of precise art.
The Morning of Surgery
The hospital corridor was quiet.
Ms. Jisoo lay on the bed,
holding her husband’s hand.
A Gaze Stronger Than Words
“Doctor…”
She stopped mid-sentence.
I nodded.
There was no need for words.
The Walk to the Operating
Room
The automatic doors opened.
Cold air flowed through.
The lights of the medical equipment flickered.
The Final Request
She said,
“Please…
that hollow inside me—
Take it away.”
I Gave a Short Answer
“I will.”
That was enough.
The anesthetic is administered.
Consciousness fades.
Everything comes to a stop.
Now Only One Thing Remains
My hands.
And the choice of 0.1 mm.
To be Continue Part III.
Comments
Post a Comment