[Medical Human Story-Episode 62]:A Fleeting Silence, The Brain’s Final Warning (The Silent Warning)_3
Part II: The Chase Against an Invisible Enemy-Microemboli
An Unexplained Mismatch
On the first night of hospitalization, I found myself reviewing Mr. Park’s
images over and over again.
Something did not fit.
The images said:
"Mild stenosis."
But the patient said:
"I become paralyzed six times a day."
There was a clear gap between the two.
In medicine, the most dangerous moment is when data and reality do not
match.
And I never ignore that discrepancy.
This Was Not a Simple Structural Problem
Most physicians think of blood vessels as pipes.
Blocked — problem.
Opened — solution.
But real blood vessels are far more complex.
- Velocity of blood flow
- Development of turbulence
- Condition of the vessel
wall
- Blood viscosity
All of these act simultaneously.
In Mr. Park’s case,
the problem was not simple stenosis.
The problem was what was mixed into the flow.
I Changed the Question
Not, “Why is it blocked?”
But, “What is flowing through it?”
The moment that question changes,
the direction of diagnosis changes as well.
Transcranial Doppler — Listening to the Invisible
“We’re going to perform a Transcranial Doppler (TCD) study.”
Mr. Park tilted his head, as though hearing of the test for the first
time.
“With ultrasound… we listen to the blood flow inside the head.”
He looked surprised.
“Listen to it?”
I nodded.
“Yes. We confirm it through actual sound.”
Blood Flow Makes Sound
Blood flow is not merely movement.
It is a wave.
A vibration.
And—
a sound.
Normal blood flow has a steady rhythm.
But when foreign material enters that stream—
the sound changes.
Tension in the Examination Room
The room was silent.
The sensor was fixed over Mr. Park’s temporal region,
and waveforms appeared on the monitor.
Regular curves.
They looked like an ECG tracing,
but this was cerebral blood flow.
I held my breath.
And then—
The First Signal
Beep—
A short, sharp sound.
I immediately looked at the screen.
Between the waveforms,
an abnormal spike shot upward.
The technician said,
“There it is.”
Micro-Embolic Signal (MES)
Its name is precise:
Micro-Embolic Signal, MES.
- Brief
- Intense
- Repetitive
And it means only one thing:
Even at this very moment, clots are traveling through the bloodstream.
Fireworks That Would Not Stop
The signal did not occur just once.
Beep—
Beep—
Beep—
It continued in succession.
Like fireworks.
But this was no celebration.
This was—
an explosion occurring inside the brain.
At That Moment, I Was Certain
Now every piece of the puzzle fit together.
- Mild stenosis
- Recurrent symptoms
- Multiple lesions
And—
persistent microemboli.
This was not a simple disease.
This was—
ongoing brain injury.
[Medical Insight]
Explaining the Unexplainable
I sat in front of Mr. Park with the results.
He still looked as though he did not fully understand what was happening.
So I explained as simply as possible.
“Right now… small blood clots are continuously breaking off inside your
vessel.”
His eyes widened.
“Right now too?”
I nodded.
“Yes. We kept detecting them even during the test.”
The Moment of Facing Reality
He fell silent.
Then quietly asked,
“…So something major could happen at any time?”
I paused for a moment.
Then answered,
“Yes. At any time.”
Treatment Is Not Optional
At this stage, treatment is not a choice.
It is mandatory.
I immediately established the treatment plan.
- Start dual antiplatelet
therapy
- High-intensity statin
therapy
- Intensified glucose
control
- Absolute smoking
cessation
And—
continuous monitoring.
But the Story Did Not End There
Mr. Park’s condition was serious.
But it was still controllable.
The problem was—
another patient who arrived that same day.
Ms. Choi, 75 Years Old
The emergency room note was brief.
- Recurrent language
disturbance
- Transient hemiparesis
- Relapses every few days
I already had a feeling.
This patient was different.
What the Images Revealed
The moment I reviewed Ms. Choi’s MRA—
I was speechless.
The vessels were barely visible.
The major artery—
was almost completely occluded.
A Brain at Its Limit
This was not simple stenosis.
This was—
collapse just before the brink.
The brain was barely holding on.
Collateral circulation
was functioning like the final lifeline.
But even that—
would not last long.
What the Family Said
“Doctor… this is already the third time.”
Her son spoke.
“But she always gets better quickly…”
I did not let him finish.
Because I already knew
how this pattern ends.
This Was Not a Time for Delay
Ms. Choi had no time.
I made the decision immediately.
- Aggressive medical
therapy
- Intensive monitoring
- Recurrence prevention
strategy
Two Patients, One War
Now the situation was clear.
- Mr. Park: active embolic
state
- Ms. Choi: critical
stenotic state
Different conditions—
same outcome.
Stroke.
I Already Knew
This battle would not be easy.
Because—
we were fighting an invisible enemy.
And the War Continues
Treatment had begun.
But the outcome was still unknown.
- Would the medications
work?
- Would the emboli stop?
- Would the brain endure?
Everything remained uncertain.
But One Thing Was Certain
This was the last chance.
Comments
Post a Comment