[Medical Human Story-Episode 63]-Her Pain Did Not Fade-Two Surgeries and the Invisible Illness_3

 


 

Part II: The Start of Treatment and the Unforeseen Cracks

 

Time flows slowly, but a patient’s pain does not. When she opened my office door again, I already had a premonition: this story would not be a simple one.

“I feel like it’s getting a little better… but then again, maybe not,” she said with an ambiguous expression. It had been six weeks since she started hormone therapy. This is always a precarious milestone. It’s too early to see definitive results, yet too early to give up.

I flipped through her chart and asked, “How is the intensity of the pain?”

“It’s less intense than before… but I feel it more frequently.”

I paused to reflect. This wasn't necessarily a bad sign—but it wasn't a good one either.

 

Healing is Never a Straight Line

 

In medicine, treatment is often represented as a graph. But in a patient’s actual life, it’s never a straight line. It’s a series of peaks and valleys—better than worse—a cycle of hope and anxiety. She was standing right in the middle of that cycle.

 

Returning to the Images

 

“Let’s check one more time,” I said. I scheduled a follow-up MRI. This wasn't just a simple check-up; it was the process of observing how the disease was evolving.

 [Insert Image]


 

Looking at the images, I muttered to myself, “It has shrunk, but it’s not resolved.” This was expected. A Peritoneal Inclusion Cyst is not a disease you ‘erase,’ but a condition you ‘manage.’

 

Explaining Another Truth to the Patient

 

“The fluid has decreased slightly.”

Her eyes sparkled. “Really?”

“Yes. But it is still there.”

The sparkle flickered. This moment is vital: giving hope without hiding reality.

“Then do I have to keep taking the medication?”

I nodded. “For now, yes.”

“For how long?”

This is the hardest question. I answered honestly, “There is no set duration.”

 

The Patient’s Silence

 

She said nothing. That silence was a heavy mix of fatigue, anxiety, and a hint of despair.

 

Life Doesn't Wait for Treatment to Finish

 

“Actually… there’s a reason things have been harder lately,” she said quietly. I looked up. “I’ve taken on a major project at work. But the longer I sit, the more it hurts.”

Disease always seems to strike at the busiest moments of our lives.

 

Another Face of Pain

 

“Does the pain get worse in specific positions?”

“Yes. It’s worse when I sit for a long time or when I bend over.”

This was a crucial clue. A Peritoneal Inclusion Cyst is not a static structure; the pain fluctuates based on position and pressure.


[Medical Insight]


━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

 

At a Crossroads

 

“Given your current state, there are two paths,” I explained. “We can continue monitoring with medication, or… we can move toward more aggressive treatment.”

She asked immediately, “What is 'aggressive' treatment?”

“Drainage… or surgery.”

Her face hardened. “Surgery…?”

I nodded. “It involves releasing the adhesions and removing the trapped fluid.”

 

What I Didn't Say Right Away

 

Surgery is not a 'cure.' At least not for this condition. I knew this truth, and now, she needed to know it too.

“It can recur,” I said softly. Her eyes wavered. “How often?”

“The rate is quite high.”

 

The Weight of Truth

 

The air in the room grew heavy. I was giving her options, but at the same time, I was delivering the reality that no choice was perfect.

“Then… what should I do?” Her question was simple, but the answer was not. I paused before speaking.

“Your life is the standard. If the pain is manageable, it’s best to stick with the current treatment. But if your daily life is becoming impossible—that is when we consider the next step.”

 

The Look in Her Eyes

 

She looked at me. Her gaze held a question, and then, a decision.

“I’ll… think about the surgery.”

I nodded. “Take all the time you need.”

But I knew this decision would be a difficult one to carry.

 

One More Variable

 

Just before she walked out the door, she turned back. “Doctor… does this… affect pregnancy?”

I froze. This question changed the story entirely.

 

A New Phase

 

A Peritoneal Inclusion Cyst isn't just about pain; it’s linked to reproduction. I spoke slowly. “The direct impact might be minor, but if the adhesions are severe, it can have an effect.”

She nodded and said softly, “I… I want to have another child.”

At that moment, this was no longer a medical choice. It was a life choice.



 I looked out the window. The sun was setting. The story was deepening, and I knew the next step would involve a much harder choice.


To be continued. "Part III: The  Moment of Decision, and the Crumbles of Boundaries"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3