[Medical Human Story-Episode 63]-Her Pain Did Not Fade-Two Surgeries and the Invisible Illness_1

 


 

Prologue: A Lingering, Silent Pain Following Repeated Surgeries

 

I make it a point to listen to my patients until they have said everything they need to say.

Listening is the beginning of diagnosis; often, the answer is already hidden within their words.

That day was no different.

“Doctor… I’m still in discomfort. They keep telling me it’s just a side effect of the surgery… but I don’t think that’s it.”

Her voice was cautious, yet filled with conviction. I looked up and met her eyes.

36 years old.

A history of two C-sections.

Months of persistent, deep pelvic discomfort.

On the surface, she appeared perfectly healthy.

However, I recognized this pattern immediately.

“Tell me more about the discomfort—slowly, in your own words.”

She took a deep breath and continued.

“It isn’t a constant pain… but there’s this heavy, pressing sensation. It gets worse when I’m sitting down, and… during intimacy.”

My pen didn’t stop moving. This wasn't just simple post-operative pain.

 

The Moment I First Encountered This Condition

 

In my decades as a radiologist, I have faced countless "invisible illnesses." Among them, one of the most misunderstood and frequently overlooked is the Peritoneal Inclusion Cyst (PIC). This condition is peculiar:

It is not a tumor.

But it looks like one.

It isn't life-threatening.

But it destroys one's quality of life.

And above all, it is virtually impossible to diagnose without proper imaging.

 

The Trap of the Words "Everything is Normal"

 

She had already visited several hospitals.

“The ultrasound came back clear. I had a CT scan, too, but they said they didn't see anything unusual…”

The moment I heard that, I was certain. They had missed it.

This was a textbook case: a disease missed by ultrasound, vague on a CT, and only truly revealed through an MRI. In the gap between those tests, the patient suffers—sinking deeper into pain while being told: "Everything is fine."

 

Pain Exists, Even if It Is Invisible

 

Medicine is an objective science, but pain is subjective. There is always a chasm between the two.

“The tests show no abnormalities.”

While these words are meant to reassure a doctor, they are a death sentence of despair for a patient. I wanted to be the one to bridge that gap.

So, I asked, “Did this pain start after your abdominal surgery?”

She nodded instantly. “Yes… right after my second C-section.”

At that moment, the puzzle pieces clicked into place.


[Medical Insight]


━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Returning to Her Story

 

I spoke softly. “Have you ever had an MRI?”

She shook her head. “No. I was told it wasn't necessary...”

I smiled. Often, the moment someone says it isn't necessary is exactly when it's needed most.

 

Imaging Speaks the Truth

 

I wrote out the requisition form: Pelvic MRI with contrast. This single line could change her life.

“It might be a bit uncomfortable, but this test is essential to find the exact cause.”

She hesitated. “Could it be... something serious? Like cancer?”

I took a moment. Telling the truth is always difficult, but I always approach it the same way.

“The likelihood of it being a 'major' illness is low. However... there is definitely a reason for your pain, and we are going to find it.”

Her expression softened. It was a look of hope.

 

Why I Write This Story

 

I am not just a diagnostician. I am a chronicler and a storyteller.

I do this because there are too many patients like her:

Those who go home after being told, "You're normal."

Those who doubt themselves because they cannot explain their pain.

Those who live their lives without ever receiving treatment.

This story is for them.

 

An Invisible Illness, Yet a Very Real Presence

 

Medicine is advancing. MRIs are becoming more precise, AI assists in diagnosis, and biomarkers predict diseases. Yet, some conditions are still treated as if they don't exist simply because they aren't easily seen.

The Peritoneal Inclusion Cyst is a prime example.

Revealing this condition requires the intersection of a doctor’s experience, expert radiological interpretation, and the patient’s own narrative.

 

That Day, I Was Certain

 

This patient wasn't just another case. This was a story.

And it is a story that someone, somewhere, desperately needs to hear.


[Medical Advice — Prologue]

 

I waited for her MRI results.

I already knew that within those images lay a truth that no one had seen until now.


To be continued. "Part I: The Moment the Invisible Illness is Revealed"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3