[Medical Human Story - Episode 66] Hidden Beneath the Navel — The Vestige of a Fetus Left in a Boy’s Bowel-5

  

Part IV: In the end, we live on by remembering each other’s pain.

The Second Discharge 

The day Yun-seo was discharged for the second time was exceptionally clear. The sky outside the hospital window was so blue it felt almost foreign.

I slowly read down the discharge summary.

·         Diagnosis: Status post laparoscopic Meckel’s diverticulectomy

·         Course: Conservative management for postoperative localized inflammation

·         Plan: Discharge following clinical improvement

As always, the chart was brief. Yet within those few lines lay all the terror, the long nights, and the tears of a family.

Yun-seo stood at the doorway of the hospital room, her backpack on. Her face was completely different from the day she first arrived at the ER. The vitality had finally returned to the child’s eyes.

Discharge Education

"No strenuous exercise for the time being," I said with a smile. "Especially soccer."

Yun-seo immediately protested. "Can't I just play a little bit?"

Her mother cut in first. "No."

Yun-seo’s face fell into a pout. I let out a soft chuckle. Recovery often demands patience. The body heals at a slower pace than the surgery itself.

[Medical Insight] Meckel’s Diverticulum: Long-Term Prognosis


Yun-seo’s Gift

Just before leaving, Yun-seo pulled a piece of paper from her pocket.

"Doctor, this is for you."

It was another drawing. But this time, it was different. In her previous drawing, there was a "bad pouch." But in this one, her belly was drawn clean and whole. And standing right next to her was a tiny doctor.

Written in crooked, childish handwriting were the words: The person who fixed my tummy.

For a long moment, I couldn’t say a word.

Doctors always learn treatment outcomes through numbers—success rates, complication rates, survival rates. But children remember something else. They remember who stayed by their side.

A Family Leaving the Hospital

Yun-seo’s mother bowed repeatedly until the very last moment. "Thank you so much, Doctor..."

I always find these moments difficult. Because the truth is—a doctor never saves a patient alone. Nurses, residents, anesthesiologists, radiologists, pathologists... countless people must move in unison for a single child to return home.

The hospital, in the end, is a massive, collaborative living organism.


 As Time Passes 

The seasons changed. Winter passed, and spring arrived.

I was still living the frantic daily routine of the hospital. New patients. New emergency surgeries. New tears.

Then, one afternoon, a small voice echoed from the outpatient reception desk.

"Doctor!"

I looked up. It was Yun-seo. The child had grown a bit taller since I last saw her. And—she was holding a soccer ball.

I smiled and asked, "So you finally started playing soccer?"

Yun-seo beamed. "Yes!"

Her smile was so bright it was hard to believe this child had once been terrified of dying. 

A Boy’s Question 

After the outpatient clinic wrapped up, Yun-seo suddenly turned to me.

"Doctor, why did you become a doctor?"

I paused to think. It is a strange paradox—we can explain countless diseases, yet we cannot easily explain our own choices in life.

"I wanted to help people at the exact moment they desperately want to live."

Yun-seo was quiet for a moment. Then she spoke. "I want to be someone who helps people when I grow up, too."

I smiled. "I'm sure you'll make a wonderful doctor."

Yun-seo shook her head. "No, being a doctor seems too scary. I don't think I could do it."

I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

[Medical Insight] Why Is Pediatric Abdominal Pain So Difficult to Diagnose?


Silence in the Elevator

After Yun-seo’s family left, I got into the elevator alone. The moment the doors slid shut, a strange wave of emotion rushed over me. Relief, exhaustion, and a tiny hint of emptiness.

Doctors are supposed to rejoice when a patient recovers. Yet sometimes, we must endure the heavy silence left in the wake of their departure. When a child you saw every single day for weeks is suddenly gone, the ward feels abruptly quiet. And in that quietness, we prepare ourselves to greet the next patient.

The Name 'Meckel's Diverticulum'

Medicine assigns names to countless afflictions. Meckel’s diverticulum. But to Yun-seo, that was never just a medical term.

To her, it was the pain that woke her up every night, her mother’s tears, the glaring lights of the operating room ceiling, and the absolute terror that she might die.

Even when the diagnosis is identical, a disease wears a completely different face for every patient. That is why a doctor must never treat just the disease. We must understand the person.

On the Hospital Rooftop

That night, I went up to the hospital rooftop once again. The city lights flickered in the distance.

And I found myself reflecting. A Meckel’s diverticulum is a remnant of the fetus. A connection that was meant to disappear, but instead remained.

Perhaps human life is much the same. We all live carrying memories that should have vanished. Childhood wounds, unforgettable words, and people who have left us. On any given day, those remnants can suddenly make our lives ache.

But at the same time, it is precisely because of those remnants that we remain human.


Yun-seo’s Letter

A few months later, a small letter arrived in the hospital mail slot. Written in that familiar, uneven handwriting, the front of the envelope read: To Dr. Elias.

I slowly opened the letter.

Dear Doctor,

Hello, it’s me, Yun-seo. My tummy doesn’t hurt anymore. I’m playing soccer now, too. And Mom doesn’t cry anymore either.

When I grow up, I want to be someone who helps sick people so they won’t feel scared.

Thank you.

For a long time, I couldn't put the letter down. And I recalled a truth I had learned a very long time ago.

A doctor cannot completely cure a human being. But we can give someone the courage to truly live again.

[Medical Insight] Meckel’s Diverticulum: Key Takeaways


 

[Medical Recommendations]


That night, I quietly slipped Yun-seo’s letter into my desk drawer. Closing her chart, I left a final progress note.

"The boy survived not only because surgery succeeded, but because love endured."

The reason that child survived was not merely because the procedure was a success. It was because someone, until the very end, refused to give up on her.

 

Epilogue: Some children remain within us forever.

 Three Years Later

Time passes much faster than we think. The hospital remained as chaotic as ever, and I was still encountering countless patients with abdominal pain.

Meckel’s diverticulum, intussusception, appendicitis, gastroenteritis... Amidst a sea of identical symptoms, a doctor must relentlessly search for the one critical thing that cannot be missed.

And on one rainy night, that child entered the ER.

1:17 AM

"Twelve-year-old female. Shock vitals."

I ran to the emergency room. The girl on the stretcher was slipping in and out of consciousness. Her face was deathly pale, her lips parched.

Heart rate 148. Dropping blood pressure. Abdominal distension. And dark, bloody stool.

Instinct struck me instantly. This is bad. Very bad.

The Child’s Name

The girl's name was Ji-an. Her mother was practically wailing, her voice fractured with panic.

"She’s been saying her stomach hurt for days... but the local clinic said it was just a stomach flu..."

I quickly palpated her abdomen. Severe rebound tenderness. Peritoneal irritation. Cold, clammy sweat. Highly suspicious for early sepsis.

"Get her to CT immediately."

The air in the ER instantly froze with tension.

[Medical Insight] Pediatric Acute Abdominal Pain's Critical Red Flags

 

Before the CT Monitor 

The images uploaded, and my breath caught in my throat.

Massive bowel dilation. Intestinal obstruction. Ischemic changes. Free fluid in the abdominal cavity. And—an abnormal outpouching structure at the distal ileum.

Meckel’s diverticulum. But this time was different. It was too late. Portions of the bowel were already turning black from ischemia.


The resident’s voice trembled. "We need to go in for emergency surgery right now."

I nodded slowly. Deep within me, I felt a very old, familiar terror reawakening.

Silence in the Operating Room

An emergency laparotomy. The moment the peritoneal cavity was opened, the heavy, pungent odor of severe inflammation filled the room.

Necrotic bowel. A blackened ileum. Peritonitis. And at the epicenter of it all—a twisted Meckel’s diverticulum.

For a split second, Yun-seo flashed through my mind. If we had been even a little bit later, she could have ended up like this.

"Necrotic segment confirmed," the professor’s low voice resonated.

We immediately began the bowel resection. However, her vitals were deteriorating rapidly. Dropping blood pressure. Falling oxygen saturation. Metabolic acidosis. The atmosphere in the operating room grew heavier by the second.

A Doctor’s Choice

The most agonizing moment during surgery is deciding exactly how much to resect.

If you remove too little, the patient dies. If you remove too much, their remaining quality of life shatters.

I stared intently at the margins of the necrosis. I had to make the call.

"We cut here."

The scalpel moved. The human intestine is remarkably long. Yet the length required to sustain a viable life is shorter than one might think.

[Medical Insight] Critical Complications of Meckel’s Diverticulum

 

5:11 AM

The surgery was over, but the crisis was far from finished. Ji-an was transferred straight to the ICU.

Maintained on vasopressors. Hooked to a ventilator. Aggressive treatment for septic shock.

I looked at the child through the glass window of the ICU. A labyrinth of machines was keeping her alive in place of her own failing organs.

Beep... Beep... Beep...

No matter how many times you hear that sound, it always forces you to realize just how fragile human existence truly is. 

The Family Briefing Room 

Ji-an’s mother’s hands were shaking uncontrollably. "She’ll live... right?"

I always find myself utterly powerless in front of that question. It was the same with Yun-seo. And it was the same with the child I lost so long ago.

I spoke quietly. "Her condition is currently highly critical."

Her eyes shook with despair.

"But we are doing absolutely everything we can."

Guardians always hear the phrase "everything we can." But few truly know the agonizing, desperate weight that word carries for the team inside.

Yun-seo’s Letter

Standing in the waiting room outside the ICU, I pulled a folded piece of paper from my wallet. It was Yun-seo’s letter.

“When I grow up, I want to be someone who helps sick people so they won’t feel scared.”

I stared at that sentence for a long time. And it became clear to me. The reason we treat patients is not merely to keep them breathing. It is to ensure that even in the depths of suffering, someone does not lose their humanity.


Like a Miracle

Forty-eight hours later, Ji-an’s blood pressure slowly began to stabilize. Her lactate levels were dropping. Urine output was recovering. Her inflammatory markers were trending down.

The ICU resident looked at the monitors, his face registering sheer disbelief. "She's holding on... She's pulling through."

I gazed at the child through the glass. Human life, at times, entirely defies medical expectations.

The Awakening

A few days later, Ji-an slowly opened her eyes. The ventilator had finally been weaned and removed.

With tremendous effort, the child parted her lips. "Mom..."

At that single word, her mother collapsed into tears of absolute relief. I watched the scene unfold in silence.

It is because of these exact moments that a doctor finds the strength to stand up and face the next day.

A Final Soliloquy on the Rooftop

That night, I went up to the hospital rooftop one last time. The city below was still ablaze with light.

And I thought to myself: a Meckel’s diverticulum is a remnant of our time in the womb. A connection that should have vanished, yet remained.

Perhaps human life is built exactly that way. We all live on carrying memories that refuse to fade. Painful nights, terrifying moments, and the people we could never bring ourselves to forget.

But it is precisely because of those remnants that we are capable of truly understanding one another.

To the Readers

If you ever see someone suffering from recurring pain—please, do not take it lightly. Especially in children, pain is sometimes the body's final, desperate signal for life.

And if you happen to be walking through a season of pain right now—please remember this. Illness can break a person down, but it also binds human beings together.

Someone will always be there, holding onto your hand, refusing to let go until the very end.

[Medical Insight] Final Summary of Meckel’s Diverticulum


 The end -->[Medical Human Story - Episode 66] Hidden Beneath the Navel  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3