[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_4

 

Part III: The Zenith of Despair, Drawing the Line of Life in Monochromatic Imagery

Into the Abyss of Septic Shock

The air in the ER grew increasingly heavy and cold with every passing second. Though the medical staff’s movements quickened, a palpable, deepening tension permeated the room. Park Soon-ja’s condition had long since crossed the threshold of critical danger.

Despite massive fluid resuscitation and the administration of vasopressors, her blood pressure plummeted to 70/40 mmHg. The EKG waveform on the monitor flickered erratically, with lethal ventricular arrhythmias flashing in and out of existence like ominous warnings.

Beep— Beep—

The monitor’s alarms pierced through the ER.

The peak of septic shock.

It was a moment where the flickering flame of her life wavered like a candle in a gale.

Nurses prepared medications without a second’s rest, and residents scrambled between blood gas results and vital signs. Yet, a heavy silence hung over them. Everyone sensed it intuitively: her life was being decided in a matter of minutes.

I headed back to the reading room. A lingering sense of unease refused to fade. One sentence from the resident kept echoing in my mind:

“There are no findings of gas.”

But it didn't add up. A retroperitoneal infection progressing this rapidly could not be explained by simple inflammation alone. There was likely something deeper, something more fatal, lurking beneath the surface.

Subtle Signals Hidden in the Shadows

The reading room was bathed in darkness, illuminated only by the faint glow of the monitors. I sat down and pulled up the CT scans once more. This time, I wasn't just looking; I was searching.

I adjusted the mouse wheel slowly, changing the Window Level. I moved away from the standard soft-tissue settings to a more sensitive calibration—one designed to capture minute traces of air in the lungs or intestines. I scanned the right retroperitoneal space again, frame by frame.

Behind the kidney.

Around the psoas muscle.

The posterior pararenal space.

In a moment of concentration so intense I couldn't hear my own breathing, I froze the screen.

“...There you are.”



Along the fascia of the psoas muscle behind the kidney, tiny black dots appeared. Three or four air bubbles, smaller than pinpricks, were arranged in a linear pattern.

Gas tracking.

My heart turned cold. This wasn't just an infection. It meant bacteria were necrosing the tissue and producing gas—a lethal sign of anaerobic bacteria rotting flesh and spreading toxins. Above all, it was the most terrifying harbinger of necrotizing fasciitis.

A few tiny black dots on a screen. Yet, their significance was heavy with despair.

Urgent Strides Toward the OR

I practically ran from my seat toward the operating room. As I moved through the corridors, I was already reconstructing the surgical margins and the path of the infection's spread in my mind.

Outside the OR, the lead surgeon, Professor Kang, had just finished scrubbing in. His expression was grim. I didn't even stop to catch my breath.

“Professor Kang, a simple laparotomy won’t be enough.”

He looked at me.

“The inflammation has climbed up to the subdiaphragmatic area along the posterior pararenal space. And I just confirmed the presence of gas.”

Kang’s eyes hardened instantly. “You saw gas?”

“Yes. It’s incredibly subtle—easy to miss on standard settings. But it’s there, moving along the fascial planes.”

I showed him the CT images on my tablet, continuing the briefing.

“This can’t be fixed with simple abscess drainage. You need a wide opening of the retroperitoneum and total debridement of the necrotic fascia. If even a fragment remains, the infection will rebound.”

Kang took a sharp breath. “The ER doctor said they didn't see any gas...”

“It was too minute. But it’s definitely there. If we miss this, the surgical field will be too narrow, and the remaining necrotic tissue will kill her.”

A moment of silence followed. Then, Kang spoke in a low voice.

“...Understood. We’ll go all the way.”

When Monochromatic Images Become Reality

The OR lights hummed to life.

Under the stark white glare, Park Soon-ja’s abdomen was exposed. The anesthesia team was fighting a total war to maintain her blood pressure while the ventilator hissed rhythmically.

Professor Kang’s scalpel breached the skin and moved deeper. The moment he accessed the retroperitoneal space—

Whoosh—

A foul, putrid stench filled the room. Along with the unmistakable smell of rotting tissue, a turbid, brownish exudate poured out. The retroperitoneal space was already severely contaminated. The fascia within no longer resembled healthy tissue; it was mushy and gray, like wet paper left in the rain.

It was necrosis.

The monochromatic images from the reading room had become a visceral, tactile reality.

“My God... it’s much worse than the scans,” Kang whispered, his voice trembling slightly.



He began the rapid debridement, excising the blackened fascia and repeatedly irrigating the contaminated space with liters of saline. Nurses worked the suction non-stop as a crimson fluid pooled on the floor.

The Shadow of Death Returns

But the crisis was far from over. Mid-surgery, her blood pressure began another rapid descent.

68/35.

62/30.

The monitor waveforms wavered. The EKG was flattening into a dangerous, near-linear stretch.

The anesthesiologist shouted urgently, “The shock is too deep! Administering extra epinephrine!”

Despite the drugs, her pressure refused to stabilize. The air in the OR froze. Hands moved faster, but tongues went silent.

In that split second, the coronal view I had reviewed earlier flashed through my mind like a bolt of lightning.

The edge of the inflammation.

The upper pole of the kidney.

And the vicinity of the inferior vena cava (IVC).

I shouted instinctively, “Professor Kang! Check the fascia behind the vena cava!”

Kang looked up.

“The root of the infection is still there! If you miss that, the surgery is meaningless!”

Reconnecting the Line of Life

Kang immediately pivoted. He thrust his fingers deep into the narrow, dark recesses of the retroperitoneal space. After a moment, his expression shifted.

“I feel something.”

And then, a small hidden abscess pocket burst.

Squelch—

Turbid pus gushed out all at once. It was the hidden source of infection that had been overlooked.

At that very moment, the numbers on the monitor began to respond—agonizingly slowly.

64/38.

68/40.

72/44.

It was subtle, but it was an unmistakable change.

The anesthesiologist let out a breath. “We have a response... pressure is starting to climb!”

The suffocating tension in the room eased, just a fraction.


I watched the monitor and quietly caught my breath.

A single tiny clue in an image. That microscopic trace of gas had ultimately decided the patient's fate.

In that moment, I realized once again: radiology is not merely the act of "reading pictures." It is the act of tracing the path of death within a monochromatic world to find—and draw—the remaining line of life.

And right now, that line was being tenuously, but surely, reconnected.





To be continued. "Part IV:"

https://medicalhumanstory.blogspot.com/2026/05/medical-human-story-episode-64-shadows_080764932.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3