[Medical Human Story - Episode 69] The Memory of the Silent Bile Duct-2

 

Part I: When the Invisible Begins to Reveal Itself

 

The First Night After Diagnosis

I could not bring myself to leave the hospital that night. Once the outpatient clinics had closed and the reading room fell into a heavy silence, I sat there for a long time, replaying Seo-yoon’s MRI scans on the massive monitor. The faint, bluish light emanating from the screen eerily filled the dark room.

Caroli disease.

These five syllables are far more than a simple medical diagnosis. To physicians, they represent a "disease of time." Even if it does not present as an acute emergency—like a ruptured vessel or sudden tissue necrosis—it carries the trajectory of a cruel timeline. It is a condition that begins quietly in the deepest recesses of fetal development, only to violently shake the stability of the present, slowly eroding the patient’s future.

I tightened my grip on the mouse and pulled up the images again. It was a T2-weighted MRI, designed to make bile and other fluid components stand out in bright, sharp relief. On the screen, the abnormally dilated intrahepatic bile ducts glowed with a bizarre, nebular light, resembling a galaxy in the night sky. And at the center of each blind dilation, tiny black spots were embedded like periods at the end of a sentence.

"The central dot sign..."

I murmured, breaking the silence of the reading room. The sign, which appears only when the dilated bile duct surrounds the portal vein, was textbook perfection. Part of me marveled at how perfectly it mirrored our medical literature. Yet, an overwhelming sense of sorrow followed. I knew all too well that the more precise and aesthetically "beautiful" a medical image is, the more complex and brutal the reality it projects onto the patient’s life becomes.

A Life More Dimensional Than an Image

The following afternoon, the door to the consultation room opened for the scheduled results session. To my surprise, Seo-yoon was alone. Her mother, who usually hovered by her side like a shadow, was nowhere to be seen.

"Oh, you’ve come alone today? Is your mother not with you?"

Seo-yoon gripped the strap of her bag, nodded quietly, and offered a faint smile. "Mom... she couldn't sleep a wink last night; she just cried. She was so worried that I told her I’d come alone today to hear the news. I think I’d feel even more anxious if she were here."

Her words tugged at my heart. In clinical practice, the excessive anxiety of a guardian often becomes a heavier emotional burden for the patient than the disease itself. At twenty-four, Seo-yoon was already bearing that weight.

"You received a brief explanation of the diagnosis and your condition yesterday. Have you had time to process it?"

"Yes... I heard, but honestly, I’m still not sure. I looked it up online, but it’s all filled with such difficult jargon that I can’t quite grasp that I’m actually this sick."

She spoke calmly and with brutal honesty. But as a doctor, I found her composure even more dangerous. In the world of medicine, a "misunderstood illness" feeds on the fog of ambiguity, eventually growing into the greatest terror one can imagine. If a patient does not clearly comprehend their disease, they cannot find the strength to endure the treatment process that lies ahead.

How to Explain a Disease

I picked up the fountain pen on my desk and began drawing on the back of a blank medical referral form.

I outlined the liver and sketched the bile ducts sprawling through it like branches of a tree. On one side, I drew a normal, slender pathway; on the other, I contrasted it with Seo-yoon’s ducts, which were ballooned into pockets here and there.

"This is a normal bile duct. It’s like a highway where bile flows smoothly without obstruction. And this... this is the state of the ducts in your liver. It’s as if there are massive, deep craters dug into the middle of the road."

Seo-yoon stared at my crude drawing as if watching a screen, her eyes fixed on the dilated craters.

"Doctor, why did my ducts turn out like this? Did I eat the wrong things, or did I strain my liver by working too much overtime?"

There was a faint trace of guilt in her voice. When many patients are diagnosed with a serious illness, they first look to their past actions, whipping themselves in search of a cause. I set down my pen and looked her straight in the eyes.

"No. This is absolutely not your fault. It has nothing to do with your diet or your lifestyle. This was likely determined from the very beginning—from the moment your cells were formed."

A cold silence hung in the room. Seo-yoon seemed to be chewing on the meaning of "from the very beginning." Then, in a very quiet, fragile voice, she asked her next question.

"...Then, do I have to live with my liver like this for the rest of my life? Can it never go back to the way it was?"

This is the moment a doctor dreads most. But I had to be honest.

"I’m afraid that, for now, there is no way to completely remove these craters and return the bile ducts to their normal, narrow state. This is likely something you will carry with you for life."

The Weight of the Word 'Possibility'

In medical discourse, phrases like "there is a possibility" or "it is highly likely" are the safest defense mechanisms for a doctor. They disperse responsibility in the face of the mysteries of the human body, which we can never fully predict with 100% certainty. Yet, from the patient’s perspective, that vague word "possibility" is like the cruelest of sentences. It means there is no clear end in sight; it means walking into a tunnel of uncertainty, never knowing when or how one might collapse.

Seo-yoon slowly bowed her head. I noticed her small hands, resting on her knees, trembling ever so slightly.

"Doctor... does this mean... eventually, I’m going to die from this?"

The direct question pierced through like a dagger. Once again, I did not offer the soulless comfort of saying, "No, you’ll be fine." I caught my breath and replied:

"This is certainly not a disease that threatens your life right this moment."

It was a clear fact. Yet, it was also a deeply incomplete truth spoken by a physician. I couldn't bring myself to voice the hidden reality: that while she might be fine now, the stagnant bile could trigger a fatal septic cholangitis at any time.

[Medical Insight]


It’s Not a Cure, It’s ‘Management’

"Doctor, then is there a way for me to get a full recovery? If I take medicine or undergo surgery, can I be completely cured?"

She looked up at me again. I could see a faint spark of hope flickering in her clear eyes. With a heavy heart, I had to shake my head.

"Seo-yoon, if you approach this disease with the mindset of a 'cure'—like a cold you can simply root out with medicine—you will only exhaust yourself. This is not a disease to be cured; it is a disease to be 'managed,' a condition you will accompany and soothe for the rest of your life."

At my firm response, the light in her eyes visibly dimmed. I felt as if I could hear the tiny spark of hope inside her snapping and shrinking in the silence of the room.

"However..." I added quickly. "There is no need to be disappointed. Now that we know what we are dealing with, if you undergo regular check-ups and manage it carefully to prevent complications, there is no reason you cannot hold a job and maintain a normal daily life just like everyone else."

At this stage, a doctor's tone is critical. A doctor is not a con artist conjuring up illusory, empty hope. A doctor must be an architect who designs a feasible, sturdy hope upon the harsh sand of the reality the patient faces—a structure upon which they can stand firmly and safely.

Explaining Treatment Options

I calmly explained the treatment scenarios Seo-yoon might face or need to prepare for, writing them down on paper one by one.

"First, if 'cholangitis' occurs—where bacteria grow in the stagnant bile, causing fever and pain—you must be hospitalized immediately for intensive antibiotic treatment. Second, if the craters become too large or stones block the flow, we may perform a procedure called 'drainage,' where a thin tube is inserted through your side to draw the bile out. And..."

I paused, my pen hovering. The heaviest word of all lingered in my mouth.

"If, over many years, the inflammation becomes concentrated and destroys a specific part of the liver, we may perform a 'liver resection' to remove that segment. And in a severe state where the entire liver becomes fibrotic and loses its function... ultimately, we may have to consider a 'liver transplant'."

As the word "transplant" bounced off the walls of the consultation room, Seo-yoon’s eyes widened.

"A transplant...? You mean I might have to put someone else’s liver inside my body?"

"Yes, but there is absolutely no need to be scared this early. Not every patient with Caroli disease reaches that stage. Many live their entire lives without needing a transplant if they manage it thoroughly. However, you must be aware that such a possibility exists as a final card we can play in the distant future."

A Life That Cannot Be Quantified

Medicine always proves and explains itself through cold numbers: five-year survival rates, complication rates for specific procedures, or the probability of recurrence within a certain timeframe.

But the actual life of the patient sitting across the desk can never be reduced to such icy statistics. She was only twenty-four. An age where friends are worrying about finding jobs, getting excited about their first paychecks, and dreaming of love and the future—the most brilliant chapter of life.

To encounter such devastating words as "liver transplant" while realizing that a bizarre structure is growing inside her liver—it is a cruel moment that completely snaps the rudder of a person’s life and shatters their entire trajectory.

The Unexpected Question

Seo-yoon, who had been lost in thought in the long silence, finally looked up at me. The tears that had welled up in her eyes had already begun to dry.

"Doctor."

"Yes, tell me, Seo-yoon."

"Will I... eventually be able to meet someone I love, get married, have children, and live a normal life? Do I have to give up on things like marriage because of this disease?"

The moment she asked, I felt a lump form in my throat.

This question was not in any of the thousands of pages of thick medical textbooks I had scoured through the night. Textbooks teach the mechanisms of disease and methods of treatment, but they do not teach a patient how to 'live' while carrying the burden of that disease.

"Of course you can."

I made sure to emphasize every syllable, speaking slowly and with a voice full of conviction.

"There is absolutely no reason why having Caroli disease should prevent you from loving or getting married. It just means that when you are preparing for pregnancy or facing major life events, you need the wisdom to check and manage your liver function closely with me. If you follow that guidance, you can live just as happily as anyone else."

Seo-yoon seemed relieved. She nodded and, for the first time throughout the entire consultation, lifted the corners of her mouth and offered a quiet smile. I don’t know why that small smile felt so heartbreaking.

The Guardian’s Perspective

A few days later, Seo-yoon’s mother returned to my office alone. Her face, which seemed to have aged years in just a few days, showed clear signs of deep shadows and sleep deprivation.

"Doctor... I went home that day and couldn't sleep all night, looking up everything I could find on the internet."

As soon as she spoke, I sighed deeply to myself. It was exactly what I had feared. In the modern age, the internet search bar is a double-edged sword—a tool that provides a wealth of medical information to patients and guardians, but also a poisoned chalice that spews out unverified worst-case scenarios, producing a "terror" far greater than the information itself.

"I read on forums and blogs that this disease eventually causes the liver to harden completely, and that if you don't get a liver transplant later, you’ll die with fluid in your abdomen... Is my Seo-yoon really in a state where she needs a transplant? Should I give her my liver right now?"

Her voice was almost a wail.

"Ma'am, the stories you see online are mostly cases of the most extreme, severe patients with the worst prognoses. A liver transplant is just one of many possibilities we prepare for in the worst-case scenario. It absolutely does not mean Seo-yoon needs to be on an operating table right now."

"Then... Doctor, she’s really okay, isn't she? Nothing bad is going to happen, right?"

Once again, I was forced to face that cruel question—the heart-wrenching plea of a parent that a doctor can never guarantee with 100% certainty. And so, I repeated the same answer I gave to Seo-yoon the day before, the only one my professional conscience would allow.

"Yes, ma'am. At least for 'now,' she is doing very well."

A Doctor’s Recurring Sentence

Sitting in my office all day, I often find myself repeating the same sentences to countless patients and guardians like a machine.

"You are doing fine for now."

This short sentence is not a cheap, sugar-coated consolation intended merely to put the patient at ease. It is a precise sentence that explains the cold, unforgiving time that medicine allows us. It conveys the scientific fact that the current vital signs and imaging data are stable, while simultaneously implying a warning: the future can only be protected through thorough management and close follow-up observations. We fight the disease by stretching out the present, one moment at a time.

The Invisible Progression

The most cruel and terrifying essence of a rare disease like Caroli disease is that it progresses slowly, "entirely out of sight."

Some patients maintain perfectly normal levels for years, even decades, without feeling any symptoms at all. On the surface, a perfect balance of calm seems to be maintained. However, deep inside the corners of the dilated bile ducts, bile is settling bit by bit, tiny sand-like stones are accumulating, and bacteria are lying in wait, constantly looking for a chance to expand their territory.

And one day, when your immunity drops or a trivial trigger tips the scales of that precarious peace, the disease reveals its claws. Often, by then, the liver fibrosis has already progressed so far that it is too late to do anything about it.

The First Crisis

Less than three months after the diagnosis, late one night, my peaceful life was shattered by a sharp, electronic sound.

I picked up the dedicated emergency call phone vibrating loudly in my pocket. The voice on the other end was the frantic voice of the resident on duty.

"Professor, I’m sorry to call at this hour... Do you remember the patient, Kim Seo-yoon, who we diagnosed with Caroli disease? She’s just arrived at the ER with extreme right upper quadrant pain accompanied by chills and a high fever!"

I didn't even have time to grab my coat. I threw on my white gown and ran down the stairs to the emergency center like a madman. Under the cold fluorescent lights of the ER, Seo-yoon lay on a gurney, her entire body shaking like a leaf. The pale face I had seen in the clinic three months ago was gone; her face and body were flushed bright red like midday, and she was breathing heavily.

"Current temperature is 38.9°C (102°F), blood pressure has dropped to 90/60, and her pulse is 120 beats per minute—showing signs of tachycardia!"

The nurse on duty shouted, showing me the chart. The moment I placed my hand on her burning forehead, I knew intuitively: it had finally come. The bile duct craters had finally been assaulted by bacteria and exploded—it was 'acute suppurative cholangitis.'

The Infection is Just the Beginning

"Perform at least two sets of blood cultures immediately, and run a CBC, liver function tests, and CRP as an emergency! Even before the results are back, start a full drop of 3rd-generation cephalosporin antibiotics and metronidazole!"

As my sharp instructions echoed through the ER, the medical staff moved like clockwork. A thick needle was inserted into Seo-yoon’s slender arm, and dark, red blood was drawn into the tube.

This high fever was not just caused by a common flu. It was the signal flare of a war declaration—the disease hidden deep within her body was finally revealing its cruel true nature to the world.

"Doctor... it hurts so much... my stomach feels like it’s being ripped apart... what’s going to happen to me...?"

Even in her delirious state, Seo-yoon clutched at the hem of my gown, moaning. The hot tears rolling from her eyes traced paths down her flushed cheeks and onto the pillow. I held her cold hand tightly, but my mouth was so dry that no words could come out easily.

Because, as a doctor, I knew too well: the horrific pain she was feeling now was not a temporary incident, but a fragment of the cruel future she would have to face and endure over and over again for the rest of her life.

A Doctor’s Vow

After the emergency treatment was finished and I confirmed the antibiotic IV was dripping steadily, I quietly closed Seo-yoon’s emergency chart on the monitor. Walking down the hallway back to the reading room, the deep darkness of dawn had already settled outside the window. Looking at my reflection in the cold glass, wearing my white coat, I quietly repeated a vow to myself as if driving a nail deep into my heart:

'I will take responsibility for this patient and see her through, right until the day I take off this doctor's coat.'

To claim that a physician in a general hospital can take full, lifelong responsibility for all the tens of thousands of patients they meet might be close to an arrogant delusion. But as you live your life as a doctor, among the countless connections you make, a few special patients appear who shake your values and life to their very core, changing you completely. For me, the twenty-four-year-old Caroli disease patient Kim Seo-yoon was the one who reawakened my sense of mission.

[Medical Proposal — Part I]

Since that day I left the emergency room, I have stopped viewing this disease through the lens of a "rare disease" stuffed into a corner of a medical textbook.

This was a war against a cruel fate—a war that threatened to shake to pieces the life of a vibrant twenty-four-year-old and the peaceful world surrounding her. And the long story of Seo-yoon and me, fighting against that harsh fate, had now only just turned the page of the prologue.

 

This story is a web novel adapted from the content at: https://leesangbock.blogspot.com/2026/06/caroli-disease-mri-central-dot-sign-radiology-guide.html

 

To be continued. "Part II"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3