[Medical Human Story – Episode 73]-Prologue: Before Dawn That Morning, I Came Face-to-Face with Someone's Future


[MHS: Medical Human Story]-Episode 73
   Prologue | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 & Epilogue

Prologue: Before Dawn That Morning, I Came Face-to-Face with Someone's Future

 

I have interpreted thousands upon thousands of CT and MRI scans.

Some people say that radiologists never actually meet their patients.

But they do not understand.

Within a single medical image lies the story of an entire human life.

The black-and-white shades on a monitor are not merely pixels.

They are a mother's tears,

a husband's anxious waiting,

a child's silent prayers,

and a patient's final hope.

As always, I arrived at the hospital before five o'clock that morning.

The corridors were as quiet as ever.

The coffee in the on-call room smelled burnt,

and in the emergency department, the boundary between night and day had long since disappeared.

A hospital is a place where time seems to stand still.

Someone is born.

Someone survives.

Someone takes their final breath.

And we are the people who witness every one of those moments.

My name is

Dr. Elias Lee.

I am a medical content specialist

and a physician deeply devoted to the field of radiology.

I have always believed

that a truly good doctor is not merely someone who treats disease,

but someone who never stops searching for hope until the very end.

Yet on that particular day,

even that belief began to waver.


"Doctor, Please Look at the CT Scan First."

An emergency medicine resident rushed toward me.

He was out of breath.

"A 50-year-old woman."

"She developed a sudden, severe headache."

"Her blood pressure is over 220."

"She's been vomiting repeatedly..."

"...and just a few minutes ago, her speech became noticeably slow."

I looked into his face.

He was an experienced resident.

Yet there was something in his eyes—

an uneasiness that was difficult to explain.

"Was it a thunderclap headache?"

At my question,

he slowly nodded.

"Yes."

"This is exactly how the patient described it."

"It felt like a bomb exploded inside my head."

That single sentence was enough.

Instantly,

dozens of differential diagnoses began forming in my mind.

Subarachnoid hemorrhage.

A ruptured cerebral aneurysm.

Reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome.

Hypertensive intracerebral hemorrhage.

Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis.

And...

one rare but critically important diagnosis that must never be overlooked—

Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome (PRES).



The Emergency CT Images Appeared on the Screen

The monitor came to life.

Hundreds of axial CT slices.

I slowly scrolled through them with my mouse.

The first image.

The second.

The third.

...

And then—

my hand stopped.

"..."

The occipital lobes.

Both sides.

Almost perfectly symmetrical.

Along the white matter,

subtle areas of low attenuation were spreading.

At that very moment,

another finding caught my eye.

Hyperdensity.

Within the subarachnoid space.

Hemorrhage.

I drew a slow breath.

"No way..."

This patient

did not simply have a typical subarachnoid hemorrhage.

The location of the bleeding was unusual.

It was not within the basal cisterns,

where ruptured aneurysms most commonly bleed.

Instead,

it involved the posterior cerebral convexities—

the occipital region

and the parietal cortex.

Convexity subarachnoid hemorrhage (Convexity SAH).

Keeping my eyes fixed on the monitor,

I spoke quietly.

"This could be PRES."



[Insert Figure]



The Patient's Husband

The door slowly opened.

A man walked into the room.

His hands were trembling.

"My wife..."

"...is she going to die?"

It is the most difficult question anyone can ask inside a hospital.

We cannot lie.

Yet we must never abandon hope.

I remained silent for a moment.

Then I gently offered him a chair.

"We don't know yet."

"But..."

"It's not too late."

His voice broke as he struggled to continue.

"She was perfectly fine this morning."

"She made breakfast for the children..."

"She was getting ready for work..."

"...and then she suddenly grabbed her head..."

"...begging someone to save her..."

He could say no more.

I looked quietly at his slumped shoulders.

An illness is never suffered by only one person.

When one member of a family becomes ill,

the entire family carries the pain together.


The Emergency MRI

Thirty minutes later,

the MRI examination began.

FLAIR.

DWI.

ADC.

GRE.

These were the images I had been waiting for.

On the FLAIR sequence,

the occipital lobes appeared strikingly hyperintense.

But the diffusion images told a different story.

There was no diffusion restriction on DWI.

The ADC values were, in fact, increased.

I let out a quiet sigh of relief.

"This is vasogenic edema."

"There is still..."

"...a chance to reverse it."



[Insert Figure]



[Medical Insight]



I Looked Into the Patient's Eyes

She had not yet lost consciousness completely.

Slowly,

she opened her eyes.

In a faint voice,

she whispered,

"Doctor..."

"...will..."

"...I survive?"

Whenever I hear that question,

my heart always responds the same way.

A physician

cannot promise life.

But we can promise

that we will never stop fighting for it.

I gently took her hand.

"Let's find our way back together."

"Back to your everyday life."

"Back to your family."

"Back to your tomorrow."

A single tear

formed at the corner of her eye.

I hoped

that it was not a tear of fear,

but one of hope.


[Medical Recommendation]

 

Next Chapter Part I:  The Strom Arrived Without a Single Warning


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3