[Medical Human Story – Episode 73]-Part IV: The Road Home—Where Life Begins Again

 

[MHS: Medical Human Story]-Episode 73

       Prologue | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 & Epilogue

Part IV: The Road Home—Where Life Begins Again

 

Discharge Is Not the End—It Is Another Beginning


There are two kinds of tears in a hospital.

The tears shed when a life cannot be saved.

And the tears shed when someone is finally able to return home alive.

It was the thirteenth day of Ms. Yoon-Hee Kim's hospitalization.

After finishing morning rounds, I opened the door to her room.

She was standing by the window, quietly basking in the morning sunlight.

The first day we met,

she could barely open her eyes.

A devastating headache.

Repeated vomiting.

Altered consciousness.

Seizures.

And vasogenic edema that had spread across her brain.

But now,

she could walk slowly on her own.

She could gaze out at the trees beyond the window.

And she could smile.

That single smile

made every sleepless night over those thirteen days worthwhile.


"May I Go Home Now?"


She asked softly.

"Doctor..."

"...may I finally go home?"

I reviewed her final MRI one last time.

The vasogenic edema involving the occipital lobes had almost completely resolved.

There was no evidence of new hemorrhage.

Diffusion restriction had never appeared on DWI.

Her blood pressure remained consistently well controlled.

I smiled.

"Yes."

"You may go home now."

At that moment,

Her husband covered his face with both hands

and began to cry.

This time,

they were not tears of despair.

They were tears of gratitude.

Patients with Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome (PRES) generally experience excellent neurological recovery when prompt blood pressure control and treatment of the underlying cause are achieved. In this case, the persistent absence of diffusion restriction on DWI represented an important radiologic indicator of a favorable prognosis.


[Insert Figure]


Discharge Education


Discharge is not the end of treatment.

In many ways,

it is the beginning of a new phase of care.

Closing her chart, I said,

"From today onward, your most important medication is your blood pressure medicine."

"Please never stop taking it on your own."

"Get enough sleep."

"Reduce stress whenever possible."

"And keep every scheduled follow-up appointment."

Her husband immediately began taking notes.

Their daughter carefully entered each instruction into her phone.

The patient smiled.

"This time..."

"I promise I'll follow every instruction."

I laughed gently.

"The next time we meet..."

"...it should be at a café, not in a hospital."

Laughter once again filled the room.


[Medical Insight]


At the Elevator


On the day of her discharge,

the elevator doors opened.

Ms. Yoon-Hee Kim turned back to look at me.

"Doctor..."

"...thank you so much."

I gently shook my head.

"No."

"I'm the one who should be thanking you."

She looked puzzled.

"Why?"

"Because..."

"...you reminded me of something."

"That a physician's calling is not simply to treat disease..."

"...but to protect people's lives."

She smiled through her tears.

Then,

she slowly stepped into the elevator.

Just before the doors closed,

her daughter waved.

"Professor!"

"We're going to see the cherry blossoms together."

I smiled and waved back.

"Please do."


[Insert Figure]


Several Months Later


The outpatient clinic.

As I reviewed the appointment schedule,

One familiar name caught my eye.

Yoon-Hee Kim.

The door opened.

This time,

it was not a patient who walked into the room.

It was simply

a healthy woman.

She wore a bright smile.

Her blood pressure was normal.

"Doctor..."

"...I went on that trip."

She showed me photographs on her phone.

The seaside.

Her husband.

Her children.

And herself,

smiling more brightly than ever.

I looked at those photographs for a long time.

That,

I realized,

was the greatest reward

a physician could ever receive.


I Returned to the PACS Workstation


The outpatient clinic was over.

I sat back down in front of the PACS workstation.

A new CT scan.

A new MRI study.

A new patient.

The world never stops turning.

Somewhere,

Someone is experiencing their first severe headache today.

Someone is rushing toward an emergency department.

Someone will ask,

"Could this be PRES?"

And once again,

I will open another set of images.

I will examine the occipital lobes first.

Review the FLAIR sequence.

Compare the DWI images.

Magnify the GRE images.

Because I know,

better than most,

that a single medical image

Can change the course of someone's life.


[Medical Insight]


[Medical Recommendation]

Epilogue: And Today, Once Again, We Protect Someone's Tomorrow

 

A Hospital Is Not Where Life Ends—It Is Where New Beginnings Are Learned


People often think of hospitals as places where the sick gather.

And, of course, that is true.

But after spending decades within these walls,

I have learned something far more profound.

A hospital is not where we learn about death.

It is where we rediscover the value of life.

From the moment the emergency department doors open

until the final step a patient takes toward home,

patients and their families discover a meaning in life

They never knew it existed.

And physicians,

too,

Learn something new about life every single day.

Today, as always,

I sit before the PACS workstation,

scrolling through hundreds of CT and MRI images.

Medical images are always silent.

Yet hidden within that silence

is someone's mother,

someone's husband,

someone's daughter,

and someone's dream that has not yet been fulfilled.

That was true of Ms. Yoon-Hee Kim's MRI as well.

That single FLAIR image

was not merely a white area of abnormal signal.

It was

a map leading back to life.


What the Word "Reversible" Has Taught Us

Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome.


The word "reversible"

is a word of hope.

But in medicine,

reversible

Does not mean recovery happens on its own.

It means recovery becomes possible

only when the disease is recognized in time,

diagnosed accurately,

and treated without delay.

This story

was never written simply to introduce

a rare neurological disorder.

It was written

to remind us all

that time itself is one of the most powerful medicines we possess.

A sudden thunderclap headache.

Blurred vision.

An unexplained seizure.

A change in consciousness.

Never dismiss these symptoms

as mere fatigue

or stress.

That single decision—

to seek medical attention immediately—

May change the course of an entire life.


Medical Images Never Lie


Throughout my career,

I have interpreted countless studies.

CT.

MRI.

Ultrasound.

Angiography.

Yet as the years have passed,

I have learned something even more important.

Medical images reveal disease.

People reveal life.

The same diagnosis of Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome (PRES)

may become

nothing more than a published case report

to one person,

yet remain

an unforgettable family memory

to another.

That is why

our responsibility does not end

with treating disease.

We must also heal fear.

Ease uncertainty.

And help patients

find the courage

to continue living.

To me,

That is what medicine truly means.


The Future of Medicine Will Be Built by People and Artificial Intelligence Together


Radiology is changing at an extraordinary pace.

Artificial intelligence can now detect subtle CT abnormalities

that human eyes may overlook.

It can automatically segment vasogenic edema on MRI.

It can even identify which emergency patients require immediate image interpretation.

Yet no matter how sophisticated AI becomes,

it cannot hold a frightened patient's hand.

It cannot wipe away a husband's tears.

It cannot understand

the weight carried by a daughter's handwritten letter.

The ideal future of medicine

is not one in which AI replaces physicians.

It is one in which AI allows physicians

to spend more time

beside their patients.

Technology accelerates diagnosis.

Humanity gives treatment its warmth.

Only when those two strengths come together

Does medicine become complete?


A Letter to Every Reader


Thank you

for staying with this story until the very end.

If you,

or someone you love,

is living with hypertension,

Take a moment today

To check your blood pressure.

If you have recently experienced

an unusually severe headache,

Do not dismiss it lightly.

If you have been postponing

your routine medical checkup,

make the appointment this month.

Health is not something whose value

is realized only after it is lost.

Its greatest value

lies in protecting it

while we still have it.

None of us

can predict the future.

But through the small choices we make today,

we can change tomorrow.


The Final Entry in Dr. Elias Lee's Journal


Even today,

the sound of ambulance sirens

never stops echoing through the hospital corridors.

Someone arrives

carrying a new hope.

Someone else

returns home

with restored health.

I switch on my monitor once again.

A new CT.

A new MRI.

A new patient.

And another story waiting to be told.

I know

that a single medical image

can change someone's destiny.

But I have also learned

that something even more powerful exists.

The compassionate heart

of the person

looking at that image.

That is what truly changes lives.

And so tomorrow,

and every day after,

I will return to this hospital once again—

to transform someone's fear into hope,

to help someone return

from despair

to ordinary life,

and to record

Another Medical Human Story.

 

[Medical Insight] | Key Clinical Messages to Remember

Part III: At the Edge Between Life and Death—One MRI Changed Everything Previous Chapter  

- The end -

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3