[MHS: Episode 74] Prologue: The Shadow in the Scan


[MHS: Medical Human Story]-Episode 74

 Prologue | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 & Epilogue

 "Not every path to jaundice begins in the bile duct. Sometimes, the body screams for help from places we rarely look. As physicians, we are the translators of those silent, physiological screams."

Prologue: The Shadow in the Scan

 

The Man Behind the Numbers

In the ER, Park Jun-ho lay shivering on a gurney. A man of forty-five, a dedicated office worker, and a father. His skin was the color of old parchment, his eyes a haunting, deep shade of yellow. His wife stood by his bedside, her hand hovering over his, her knuckles white from the pressure of her worry.

"Doctor," she whispered, her voice trembling, "they said it was just gallstones. They gave him medicine, but the fever is rising. Why isn't he getting better?"

I felt his pulse—thready, rapid, and shallow. He was slipping into septic shock. The standard diagnosis—acute cholangitis—was the logical first guess, but the underlying tremor of his condition suggested something far more insidious. This was not a stagnant infection of the bile duct; this was a storm raging within the venous landscape of the abdomen.

The Image Never Lies

I pulled the contrast-enhanced abdominal CT up on the high-resolution monitor. My eyes scanned the anatomy with clinical precision.

·         Liver: Normal parenchyma, no immediate focal lesions.

·         Gallbladder and Bile Ducts: Unobstructed. No stones, no sludge, no biliary dilation.

My breath hitched. If it wasn't the bile duct, what was driving this intense jaundice and systemic collapse? I scrolled lower, deeper into the pelvis. My mouse pointer stopped at the Sigmoid Colon. There, hidden within the complex folds of the bowel, was the culprit: a perforated diverticulum.

But it was what lay outside the colon that stopped my heart. Tiny, ethereal bubbles of gas were tracking along the venous system like a trail of ghostly breadcrumbs, leading directly toward the liver.

[Insert figure]


[Medical Insight: The Ghost in the Veins]



The Crucial Pivot: Pylephlebitis

The ER team watched over my shoulder, their faces tight with expectation. "Is it cholangitis, Professor?" the resident asked, still hoping for the common diagnosis.

"No," I replied, the word hanging heavy in the air. "It is Pylephlebitis. The infection has breached the colon wall and is riding the bloodstream directly into the liver. The jaundice isn't primary; it is a byproduct of the liver failing under the weight of a massive septic burden."

The gravity of the diagnosis settled over the room. We weren't just treating an infection; we were fighting to keep the liver from turning into a collection of abscesses.

The Choice: Surgery as the Only Mercy

I had to face the wife. I chose my words with the gravity of a physician who knows that hope must be tempered with hard, clinical truth.

"It is not cancer," I said, seeing the brief flicker of relief in her eyes. "But it is a severe, life-threatening infection. We need to perform an emergency Hartmann procedure to remove the source of the infection immediately. We cannot wait for antibiotics to work alone; the source must be eradicated."

As they wheeled him away, Jun-ho looked at me, his voice a mere rasp, his eyes searching mine. "Doctor... I have a daughter in high school. I have to see her graduate. Can I?"

"The promise is made," I said, my voice steady, masking my own fear. "But you have to fight on that table."

[Insert figure]


Anatomy of Survival: A Multidisciplinary War

The surgery was a battlefield. As the surgeons opened the abdomen, the source of the sepsis was revealed: a perforated sigmoid diverticulitis. Millions of bacteria had been hemorrhaging into his portal system for days.

The surgery was successful, but the recovery was a grueling dance with death. For days, he hovered in the ICU. The team—radiology, surgery, and infectious disease—worked in lockstep. We monitored the portal vein via serial imaging, watching the air bubbles slowly subside, a sign that our source control had worked.

[Insert figure] 


[Medical Insight: Why Source Control is Non-Negotiable]  

 

Epilogue: The Breath of Life

Two weeks later, the yellow hue had faded from Jun-ho’s eyes. As I walked into his room for the final check-up, he was sitting up, looking at a photo of his daughter.

"Professor," he said, his smile reaching his eyes for the first time. "I think I’m going to make it."

I looked at the follow-up CT scan on my tablet. The gas was gone. The veins were clear. The shadow had receded. He had fought his way back from the edge of the abyss.

Medical Takeaway for the World

This case serves as a vital reminder to physicians and patients alike: When you see jaundice and fever, do not anchor your thoughts to the bile duct alone.


Dedicated to all the silent heroes in the reading rooms and operating theaters who work in the shadows to bring patients back into the light.

Next Chapter ☞Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

This web novel is an adaptation based on the professional insights found at: 

https://leesangbock.blogspot.com/2026/07/pylephlebitis-diverticulitis-portal-vein-thrombosis-ct-imaging-guide.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Medical Human Story – Episode 77] Part II: Where the Stone Stopped, the Bowel Began to Speak

[MHS: Medical Human Story – Episode 77] Prologue: Time Frozen on the CT Screen - A Long Story Written by Disease

[MHS: Medical Human Story – Episode 77] Part I: The Stone That Disappeared from the Gallbladder, the Trajectory of a Life Brought to a Standstill