[MHS: Episode 74] Part III: On the Boundary of Life: The Inheritance of a Physician

 


[MHS: Medical Human Story]-Episode 74

 Prologue | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 & Epilogue

Part III: On the Boundary of Life: The Inheritance of a Physician

 
"A teacher is not someone who gives the answers, but someone who teaches how to ask the right questions."

2:17 AM: The Unsleeping ER

The emergency room is a place of profound silence punctuated by the rhythm of urgency. I was in the office finishing the manuscript about Park Jun-ho when the phone rang. It was Min-jae, my resident. His voice was taut. "Professor, I need you to look at an emergency CT."

The scent of antiseptic in the hallway—the familiar scent of the boundary between life and death—greeted me as I hurried toward the reading room.

[Insert figure] 


The New Patient: Kim Do-yun

On the ER bed lay Kim Do-yun, a 63-year-old taxi driver. Fever of 39.4°C, blood pressure failing, skin jaundiced. The initial assessment was classic, but deceptive. While the team suspected simple cholangitis, I pulled up the CT.

https://youtu.be/8pKCRDX_fUY

Min-jae was already there, his eyes scanning the screen. This time, he didn't just look at the bowel. He zoomed in on the portal vein. "...Professor," he whispered. "Is that... air inside the portal vein?"

I smiled. He wasn't just a trainee anymore; he was a physician learning to read the flow of disease.

[Insert figure]


[Medical Insight: Essential CT Checkpoints in Sepsis]


20 Years of Reflection

Under the glow of the monitors, I saw a reflection of my 29-year-old self in Min-jae. I remembered the arrogance of my youth, when I believed I could read every scan perfectly. Experience had humbled me, teaching me that medicine is not a science of perfection, but a discipline of humility.

"Why did you think to look there?" I asked. Min-jae replied, "I wasn't just looking for the disease anymore, Professor. I was looking for the person."

[Insert figure]


Into the Operating Theater

The multidisciplinary team gathered—Surgery, Infectious Disease, Radiology, Anesthesia. The decision was unanimous: emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid diverticulitis.

As the surgeon opened the abdomen, the reality was worse than the scan. Infection had spread throughout the peritoneum. Yet the CT had served as a perfect roadmap, guiding the surgeon to the exact site of the perforation. "The imaging guided us perfectly," the surgeon noted. "No," I replied. "The patient left us a trail, and we finally learned how to follow it."

[Insert figure]


The Burden of Memory

After the surgery, a visitor arrived at my office—the daughter of a patient I had lost to Pylephlebitis twenty years ago. She had read my research paper. She brought a photo of her father.

"Professor," she said, "my father didn't die in vain. Because of him, you learned. Because of you, others live."

The guilt I had buried for two decades began to thaw. I realized that medicine is not just about the patients we save; it is about the patients who teach us how to save the next ones.

[Insert figure]


The Morning Light

At 6:00 AM, Kim Do-yun was moved to the ICU. I stood by his bedside, watching the hands that had steered a taxi for forty years, now resting in the quiet recovery of sleep. His wife waited outside—the silent language of the hospital's waiting room.

"The surgery was successful," I told them. "The next 48 hours are critical, but we will not give up."

[Insert figure]


The Cycle of Healing

Days later, Kim Do-yun walked down the hallway. He stopped, smiled, and said, "I spent my life watching traffic signals to be a good driver. I guess this time, you were the one watching the signals in my body."

Watching him walk away, I looked back toward the ER. Another ambulance was arriving. Somewhere, another patient was starting their journey. Somewhere, Min-jae was preparing to read his first scan alone.

I realized then: A good physician is not someone who becomes a hero, but someone who creates a better physician than themselves.

[Insert figure] The timeline of recovery – From ICU to outpatient follow-up

[Final Clinical Takeaway]



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3