[Medical Human Story — Episode 78]:Prologue: The Body Signals Us Until the Very Last Moment

 

 [Medical Human Story — Episode 78]

The Night that Pierced the Chest Wall — When a Single CT Scan Revealed the Hidden Path of Infection 

Prologue | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Epilogue  

 

Prologue: The Body Signals Us Until the Very Last Moment



  

I have read scans for a long time. I have scrolled through countless cross-sections of chest CTs, gazed into thousands of lung images, and witnessed many moments on screen where a tiny shade altered a human life forever. Yet, strangely enough, people often misunderstand what a radiologist does. A doctor who never meets the patient. A doctor who never holds a patient’s hand. A doctor who never places a stethoscope against a chest. Just someone sitting in a dark reading room, staring at monitors to interpret numbers and shades of gray. 

Yet I knew: there is a person inside every scan. Within the lungs that appear black, there is breath. Between the pleura that appears gray, there is pain. And inside a small collection of fluid lies a person's sleepless night. Sometimes, hidden in the corner of a single scan, lies a story the patient has not yet told. That night was no exception.

 

1. A Call from the Emergency Department

 

It was 10:43 PM. I was reviewing the last chest CT in the reading room. At night, the hospital puts on a face quite different from the daytime. During the day, the hallways overflow with people: doctors and nurses rushing past, guardians shifting chairs, and patient names continuously being called outside examination rooms. But at night, every sound drops a octave lower. The distant chime of an elevator, the low hushed voices at the nursing station, and the steady glow of the monitor. 

I paused while scrolling through the images. The phone rang.

 "Dr. Elias?" It was the ED resident on duty. 

"Yes." 

"Could you take a look at a chest CT?" 

"How is the patient doing?" 

A brief silence followed. "A male in his 60s with a history of COPD. He's had shortness of breath and a cough for about two weeks." 

"Any chest pain?" 

"He says he's had left flank pain for about five days." 

I lifted my hand from the mouse. "And?" 

"A mass appeared on the left side of his chest two days ago, and it's grown rapidly." 

I stared at the screen. A chest wall mass. Shortness of breath. Cough. Chest pain. These four terms did not immediately connect into a single sentence in my mind—at least, not yet. 

"Please upload the CT." 

"Sending it now." 

The line went dead. I stared at the monitor for a moment. With a mass on the chest wall, there were many possibilities to consider: a hematoma, a soft tissue tumor, or an infectious lesion. I also had to keep in mind pleural-derived diseases like mesothelioma presenting as a chest wall mass. However, the patient's history was unusual—the fact that the mass had enlarged rapidly within two days, preceded by shortness of breath and a cough. I waited for the images.

 

2. Two Symptoms, One Disease

 

The CT loaded. The first axial slice. Then the second. I scrolled through the images in silence. Something caught my eye inside the thoracic cavity. I scrolled back to the previous slice, zoomed in, and adjusted the window settings before looking at the axial plane once more. 

"Wait a second..." I muttered to myself unconsciously.

 There was an abnormal fluid collection in the pleural space. That alone might not have been remarkable, as pleural effusions stem from various etiologies: pneumonia, heart failure, malignancy, tuberculosis, or inflammatory diseases. There were endless possibilities. However, the issue lay in what followed: the lesion in the pleural space extended directly toward the chest wall. 

I froze the mouse. The next slice. The one after that. Then the coronal plane. I stared at the screen for a long while. An infectious process originating in the pleural space appeared to be extending toward the chest wall. At that moment, a specific diagnosis flashed through my mind: Empyema necessitans—a rare complication where an empyema fails to remain confined within the pleural space and bursts through the parietal pleura into surrounding tissues. 

The chest wall mass might not have been an independent entity. It wasn't a tumor; it was an infection pushing its way out from the inside. I re-examined the coronal view. 

"This isn't just a mass..." I trailed off. "It's a path." 

A path forged by infection. From the pleural space, through the parietal pleura, into the soft tissues of the chest wall, and finally manifesting as a lump near the surface of the skin. The lump the patient noticed two days ago was not the inception of the disease; rather, it was a signal that the disease had run out of places to hide. 

[Insert Figure 1]



 3. "Doctor, Why Did That Suddenly Appear?" 


I went down to the Emergency Department. The patient was lying in bed. There was a minor numerical discrepancy between the ED consult form listing him at 67 years old and the medical record stating 66, but at that moment, it did not matter. What mattered was the look on his face. 

He could not take a deep breath. Every time he coughed, he wrapped his arm around his left flank. On his left chest wall, a prominent bulge was visible. I approached his bedside. 

"Hello, I'm Dr. Elias Lee." 

He nodded. 

"I came down to look at the CT with you." 

He looked at me for a moment before asking, "Doctor..." 

"Yes?" 

"Is that... cancer?" 

I paused to catch my breath before answering. It is one of the most difficult moments for a doctor. Patients often jump to the worst possible conclusion in their minds: a mass, growing rapidly, in the chest, given their age, accompanied by pain. The word cancer comes to mind all too easily. 

"We cannot definitively diagnose it as cancer based on current imaging alone." 

His expression softened slightly. "Then what is it?" 

"Instead, we are primarily considering a situation where an infection has spread out to the chest wall." 

"An infection?" 

"Yes." 

He looked down at the lump on his chest. "You're saying this is an infection?" 

"It's very likely." 

He carefully placed his hand over the lump and spoke in a low voice, "It wasn't here a few days ago." 

"I know." 

"It suddenly grew huge starting two days ago." 

I nodded. "That's why the CT scan is so important." 

He looked up at me. "What does the CT tell us?" 

I turned the monitor toward him. Naturally, a patient cannot grasp every anatomical structure on an image, but I tried to explain it in the simplest terms possible. 

"This part here is your lung." 

"Yes." 

"And this side is the pleura surrounding the lung." I pointed to a section of the screen. "Inflammatory fluid has collected here." 

"Then..." 

"The issue is that the space containing this fluid doesn't seem to stay on the inside." 

His eyes widened. "Are you saying it came outside?" 

"Yes." 

A moment of silence passed. 

"So that lump..." 

"Is highly likely a result of that infection spreading toward the chest wall." 

He said nothing. Looking at his face, I realized once more that while what I see on the scan is a lesion, what the patient hears is an explanation of their life. 

[Medical Insight ]

 


4. Seeing the Patient Before the Screen 


I returned to the reading room, but the screen looked different than before. No—the screen hadn't changed; it was the scan that looked different because I had seen the human being behind it. 

This is a common experience for radiologists. First, you see the lesion. Next, you see the patient. Then, you look at the lesion once more—and the exact same image appears entirely different. 

I re-opened the axial view. The location of the lesion, its size, adjacent structures, the state of the pleural space, changes in the lung parenchyma, alterations in the soft tissues of the chest wall, possible drainage routes, and whether a surgical approach might be required—I re-verified everything. 

An empyema necessitans is not simply a matter of "pus filling the chest." It means the infection is actively traversing anatomical spaces. The human body is not a single sealed chamber; infection can migrate along anatomical planes—from the pleural cavity to the chest wall, and sometimes to even more distant tissues. Therefore, what matters in imaging is not merely what is visible, but where it started and how far it has reached. And an even more critical question: where else can it go? 

[Insert Figure 2]



 5. Seeing a Mass Triggers Thoughts of a Tumor 


The next morning, during the radiology clinical conference, I presented the images again. 

"It's a chest wall mass," a colleague noted. 

"What about the possibility of sarcoma?" 

"We must consider it." 

Another doctor chimed in, "Could it be a hematoma?" 

"That also needs to be differentiated." 

I scrolled to the next slide. "However, this patient presented with dyspnea and cough first." 

"Followed by flank pain?" 

"Correct." 

"And then the chest wall mass." 

I nodded. "The chronological sequence is crucial." 

In medicine, time is often as critical as imaging. Looking at an isolated lesion makes diagnosis difficult. However, arranging events chronologically suddenly weaves them into a coherent story:


  • Two weeks ago: Shortness of breath and cough. 
  • Five days ago: Left flank pain. 
  • Two days ago: A rapidly expanding chest wall mass. 
  • Today: Emergency department, CT scan. 

This might not be a story about a tumor after all. Rather, it was likely the story of an infection that had progressively advanced until it finally revealed itself on the outside.

 

6. CT is Not Just a Tool for Discovery, but a Means of Mapping the Path

 

In my study of radiology, I learned one fundamental truth: a CT scan does not merely detect a lesion; sometimes, it maps the trajectory of the disease. In empyema necessitans, this distinction is vital. Merely confirming the presence of fluid in the pleural cavity is vastly different from confirming that the fluid extends continuously into the chest wall. 

On CT, we synthesize findings including pleural fluid collection, pleural changes, inflammatory changes in adjacent fat tissue, and soft tissue fluid collection in the chest wall. While CT aids in differentiating empyema from other pleural diseases in pleural infections, imaging findings alone cannot confirm every case. Therefore, clinical findings, pleural fluid analysis, and culture results must be considered comprehensively. The 2023 British Thoracic Society (BTS) pleural disease guidelines also emphasize the importance of using a combination of imaging and pleural fluid analysis to diagnose pleural infection. 

I explained this to the patient once more. "The CT scan doesn't decide everything." 

He asked, "Then what else needs to be done?" 

"We need to confirm whether an active infection is present, drain the pus if it's there, and identify which specific bacteria are responsible." 

"Will I need surgery?" 

I paused briefly. "That will be decided based on your overall condition and the extent of the lesion." 

He asked again, "Is it very dangerous?" 

I did not lie. "The fact that an infection has spread all the way to the chest wall is not something to take lightly." 

His eyes fixed in a rigid stare. I immediately followed up, "However, the fact that we found it right now is what's important." 

"..." 

"Because now we know exactly what steps to take." 

[Medical Insight ]


 7. Streptococcus Intermedius

 

A few days later, the culture results arrived. I looked at the lab sheet: Streptococcus intermedius. The name was unfamiliar to the patient, but to the medical team, it was a vital clue. 

"Did a germ come out?" the patient asked. 

"Yes." 

"What kind of germ is it?" 

"It's a bacterium called Streptococcus intermedius." 

"Is it a bad one?" 

I didn't answer in simple terms of good or bad. "It's a bacterium capable of causing deep infections. We will now adjust your antibiotic treatment based on this identified organism together with your clinical progress." 

He pondered for a moment. "So have we found the cause now?" 

I replied, "We've found a crucial piece of the puzzle." 

A crucial piece. In medicine, the word certainty must be used with extreme caution. Obtaining culture results does not instantly resolve every problem. We must locate the extent of the infection, evaluate how far it has spread, adequately drain the purulent fluid, verify the appropriateness of the antibiotics, and grant the patient's body time to recover.

 

8. Pus Pushed Beyond the Body

 

The procedure room door closed. The incision and drainage of the chest wall mass commenced. Rather than describing the scene directly, I observed the movements of the medical team from a slight distance. 

In an operating room, speed is not the priority—precision is. Identifying the infectious space, evacuating sufficient pus, obtaining essential specimens, evaluating the state of surrounding tissues, and continuously monitoring the patient's systemic vitals are paramount. 

The core of empyema management lies in source control. If infected pleural fluid cannot be resolved by antibiotics alone, appropriate drainage is required. The 2023 BTS guidelines recommend considering a small-bore chest drain as an initial drainage strategy for adult pleural infection, noting that if residual collection remains post-drainage, intrapleural tPA/DNase or surgical intervention may be considered depending on the clinical scenario. 

However, this patient's actual treatment was tailored to his specific condition and lesions. And what remained in the medical record was explicit: incision and drainage of the chest wall mass, followed by a prolonged course of antibiotic therapy.

 

9. A Question I Asked the Patient

 

A few days after treatment began, I visited his hospital room. The patient was breathing much more comfortably than before. 

"How are you feeling?" 

"Much better." 

"How is the pain?" 

"It has decreased significantly." 

I sat in the chair beside his bed. "You must have been terrified when you first found that lump, right?" 

He laughed softly. "I thought it was cancer." 

"Many people in your position would think the same." 

He stared out the window for a moment. "Doctor..." 

"Yes?" 

"It's strange, though." 

"What is?" 

"Something so huge was happening inside my body, yet I was just coughing a little bit." 

I remained silent. His words held profound medical significance. Our bodies do not always dramatically announce disease. There may be no severe pain or high fever. Patients go about their daily routines—going to work, eating meals, sleeping, coughing a little, and attributing mild shortness of breath to simply getting older. Then one day, what was brewing in the deepest recesses of the body surfaces near the skin, finally turning into a visible lump. 

I told him, "The body sends signals multiple times." 

"Was the cough a signal too?" 

"It could have been." 

"And the flank pain?" 

"That's very likely as well." 

"And yet I..." He paused. 

"It's alright," I said. "We are treating it right now." 

[Insert Figure 3]


  

10. Diseases Do Not Always Start Where It Hurts the Most

 

Returning from the patient's room, I sat back down in the reading room. Another patient's CT was displayed on the screen. Looking at the image, I paused and thought: diseases do not always originate where the pain is most intense. 

Sometimes it begins in the lungs and moves to the pleura. From the pleura, it advances to the chest wall. The patient comes to the hospital because of pain in the chest wall. In other words, where the patient points and where the disease originated can be entirely different locations. 

This is one of the pivotal roles of radiology: viewing the body as a map, and locating where the disease first set sail on that map.

 

11. The Patient's Final Question

 

It was the day before his discharge. The patient was sitting upright in his chair. 

"Dr. Elias." 

"Yes?" 

"Why did I get a disease like this?" 

I thought for a moment. "It's difficult to explain it with just a single reason." 

"Is it because of my COPD?" 

"Having COPD doesn't automatically mean you will develop a complication like this." 

"Then why?" 

"When an infection in the lungs and pleura isn't caught and treated promptly, or when multiple factors contributing to infection progression overlap, complications like this can arise." 

He nodded. "Can we make sure it never happens again?" 

"To prevent recurrence, it's essential to identify the underlying cause, complete the full course of treatment, and seek medical evaluation without delay if respiratory symptoms reappear." 

He smiled. "I guess I shouldn't take a cough lightly anymore." 

I smiled back. "That's right." 

However, I didn't want to instill excessive fear in him. Not every cough leads to an empyema, nor is every flank pain a sign of a grave disease. What matters is the pattern of persistent or worsening symptoms. In particular, if dyspnea worsens, or if fever, chest pain, or a new chest wall mass accompanies it, one must be evaluated at a medical institution. 

[Medical Advice]


 

12. What I Remember Is Not the CT Scan

 

I still remember that CT scan today. But to be precise, it isn't the scan itself that I remember. I remember the man standing in front of that image: the person who initially came in short of breath, who hunched over from flank pain, who worried about cancer upon seeing a suddenly enlarged chest wall mass, and who smiled while taking deep breaths once treatment was complete. 

We are taught that medicine is the science of curing diseases. That is true. But what I have realized over my long years of meeting patients is that medicine does not merely cure diseases. Sometimes, a doctor helps a patient envision the future they almost lost to disease—enabling them to return home, sit at the dining table with family again, and open the window in the morning to take a deep breath. Perhaps that is the true culmination of healing. 


13. After the Night Passes

 

It was just past 3:00 AM. I finalized the day's imaging reports one last time. Outside the reading room window, city lights glinted in the dark—countless windows, countless homes, and countless people fast asleep. 

Among them, someone might be coughing right now. Someone might be tossing and turning with chest pain. Someone might be falling asleep wondering, "Should I go to the hospital tomorrow?" 

I looked back at the monitor. A doctor cannot catch every disease in advance, nor can they prevent every complication. However, we can do one thing: never miss the signals sent by the patient, never overlook the small clues appearing on an image, and never forget the human being behind the lesion. 

That night, the lump on a man's chest wall was no simple mass. It was the final message sent by an infection progressing deep within his body: "I have made it this far." And the CT scan successfully decoded that message. 

I saved the report, turned off the monitor, and walked out of the reading room. At the end of the hallway, the faint light of dawn was slowly beginning to spread.

 

End of Prologue

 

However, the story does not end here. Rather, it is just beginning. 

When pus forms in the pleural space, why do some infections remain confined within the pleura while others pierce through the chest wall? Is that thin boundary visible on CT truly a wall, or is it a pathway for infection to cross? And was the "suddenly appeared mass" discovered by the patient truly sudden? Or was it a disease that had been progressing silently inside the body for a long time, finally showing its face on the outside? 

To answer those questions, I returned to that initial CT scan once more. The story that began with a single image was now preparing to venture deeper into the human body.

 

[Medical Insight — Prologue Core Summary]


Next Chapter ☞Part I: The Invisible Path

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3