[Medical Human Story — Episode 78]:Part I: The Invisible Path
[Medical Human Story — Episode 78]
The Night that Pierced the Chest Wall — When a Single CT Scan Revealed the Hidden Path of Infection
Prologue | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Epilogue
1.
The Man Did Not Point to His Chest First
People do not describe their bodies in
medical terms when they come to the hospital. That is only natural. A patient
does not say, "Infectious fluid collection within the pleural space is
progressing." Instead, they say:
"I am a bit short of breath."
"My cough won't stop."
"My flank has been hurting for a
few days."
"And something has appeared right
here."
The physician must find the architecture
of disease between those sentences. Which symptom came first? Which symptom
appeared later? Are the symptoms connected to one another? And the most crucial
question: Is the problem the patient presents right now truly a single disease?
That was also the case for the man who
came to the emergency room that day. He was in his late sixties. His medical
history noted chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He had experienced dyspnea
and a cough for the past two weeks. At first, he said, he was not overly
worried. The cough was not severe, and the shortness of breath was only mild.
He thought it was just something that happens with age. He thought it might be
due to his long-standing pulmonary disease.
However, a few days later, pain
developed in his left flank. From then on, he began to pay a bit more attention
to his body. And two days ago, he found a small lump beside his left chest. At
first, it was small enough to be easily covered by two fingers, he said. But
something was strange. It grew larger as time passed. And when he looked at it
again, it no longer looked like simple edema. That was when he decided he
needed to go to the hospital.
2.
"It Has Grown Larger Than Yesterday"
In the emergency room, I listened to the
patient's history again.
"When was the first time you
noticed the lump?"
"Two days ago."
"How large was it at that
time?"
He used his hands to gesture at the
approximate size.
"About this big."
"And what about now?"
This time, he spread his hands a little
wider.
"It has grown this much."
I looked at the patient's hands. That single,
brief movement told many things. It is not a common situation for a tumor to
grow that rapidly in just two days. Of course, that does not mean a tumor never
changes quickly. However, in the case of a mass that increases rapidly in a
clinical setting, infection, hemorrhage, or inflammatory changes must be
considered together first.
I asked, "Did you have a
fever?"
"I am not quite sure."
"Any chills?"
"I don't think so."
"And your cough has
continued?"
"Yes."
"Any sputum?"
He thought for a moment.
"A little."
I made a note. Then I asked again,
"When did the shortness of breath start?"
"About two weeks ago."
I stopped my pen. Two weeks. And five
days. And two days. Time connected like a single line. Dyspnea and cough $\rightarrow$
flank pain $\rightarrow$ chest wall mass. This
sequence was important.
3.
Disease Leaves a Timetable
In medicine, time is not a simple
background. Time is a part of diagnosis. Even for the same chest wall mass, the
diseases to consider can differ if it grew slowly over a month. If it had been
present for several years, we think of yet another possibility.
However, the case of this patient was
different. A mass that grew noticeably in the span of merely two days. Before
that, there had already been dyspnea and cough for two weeks. And flank pain
had begun five days ago.
Inwardly, I rearranged the sequence of
events. The first event might not be the chest wall. Perhaps the starting point
was the lung or the pleura. And the chest wall mass could be the final
resulting outcome.
I had not yet finalized the diagnosis.
Imaging was needed.
Insert Figure 1
4.
The CT Has Arrived
The CT images were uploaded to the
reading system just past 11:00 PM. I opened the first image. Axial. One slice.
And the next slice. I moved the scroll slowly.
One of the most dangerous mistakes when
viewing a chest CT is fixing all thoughts on a single abnormal finding that
catches the eye first. If there is a mass in the chest wall, one looks only at
the chest wall. If there is an opacity in the lung, one looks only at the lung.
If there is fluid in the pleura, one thinks only of pleural effusion.
However, the patient's body is not
separated like images. All structures are connected to one another. I looked at
the lungs first. Then I looked at the pleura. And I looked at the chest wall. I
returned to the beginning. This time, I changed the order: Chest wall. Pleura.
Lungs. I zoomed in on the screen. And I zoomed out again.
5.
Finding the Boundaries of the Mass
When a chest wall mass is discovered,
one of the first questions to ask is this: Where did this lesion originate? Did
it start in the skin and subcutaneous tissue? Did it start in the muscle? Did
it start in the ribs? Did it start in the pleura? Or did it begin inside the
thoracic cavity and extend outward?
I searched for those boundaries. Viewed
separately, the chest wall lesion alone offered multiple possibilities:
Hematoma. Soft tissue infection. Malignant tumor. Invasion by pleural diseases
such as mesothelioma. And external extension of infectious pleural disease.
However, viewing the entire imaging
together could change the story. I re-examined the pleural space. There was
abnormal fluid collection. That alone did not conclude the diagnosis. Pleural
effusion arises from very diverse causes. But the patient already had
respiratory symptoms, developed flank pain, and subsequently developed a rapidly
growing mass on the chest wall. I looked at the chest wall again. And I
confirmed the relationship between the two.
6.
"This Might Not Be Two Separate Diseases"
I called a colleague. "Could you
take a look at the CT together?"
A moment later, the images were shared.
"There is a chest wall mass."
"Yes."
"We should also consider a
hematoma."
"Correct."
"And a tumor cannot be ruled
out."
"That's right."
I turned to the next images. "But
please look over here."
A brief silence passed.
"The pleural side?"
"Yes."
"There is pleural fluid."
"And right here."
I showed the relationship between the
pleural space and the chest wall.
My colleague said, "An infectious
process?"
I nodded. "I am thinking along the
same lines."
"Empyema necessitans?"
That name came out.
I did not answer for a moment. The name
was long. Yet that night, there was no shorter explanation than that name:
Empyema thoracis with chest wall rupture. The infection residing in the pleural
space had extended into the chest wall.
7.
Empyema Is Not Simple Pleural Effusion
It was necessary to explain to the
patient the difference between pleural effusion and empyema. The pleural space
is the area between the lung and the chest wall. Even normally, a very small
amount of fluid exists there.
However, when an infection occurs, the
story changes. As the infection progresses, inflammatory cells, bacteria, and
tissue debris accumulate, altering the characteristics of the pleural fluid.
Over time, fluid can evolve from a simple transudate or exudate into a complex
infectious collection.
And when the infection is not confined
to the pleural space and spreads to surrounding structures, a more serious
situation arises. Chest wall perforation in empyema is a rare complication
appearing precisely in such circumstances. The infection encounters a wall. And
it crosses that wall. As a result, the patient discovers a mass palpable
outside the skin.
[Medical Insight ①]
8.
The Patient Knew His Body Before the Images
When I went back down to the ward, the
patient was awake. I sat by the bedside.
"I have checked the CT."
He looked at me. "Is it
cancer?"
It was the same question again. This
time, I could explain a bit more.
"In the current imaging, we are
considering the possibility that infection has spread toward the chest wall
first."
"Infection?"
"Yes."
তিনি 그의 흉벽을 만졌다. "그럼 이게 고름입니까?"
[He touched his chest wall. "Then is this pus?"]
"That is highly likely."
"Did it come from inside my
body?"
I nodded. "We believe the infection
that started on the pleural side has extended toward the chest wall."
He did not say anything for a moment.
Then he said, "Is the pain I felt because of that, too?"
"It is a possibility."
"And the cough?"
"It could be related."
"Even the shortness of
breath?"
"That as well requires us to look
at the condition of the pleura and lungs together."
He lowered his head. "I simply
thought my COPD had worsened."
Hearing those words, I remained silent
for a while. That was precisely the crucial moment. Patients with chronic
diseases easily attribute new symptoms to their existing conditions. The
patients themselves do so, and sometimes the medical staff does, too. However,
the fact that an existing disease is present does not mean a new disease will
not occur. Rather, if new changes appear, they must be evaluated separately.
9.
The First Choice
That day in the emergency room, five
possibilities were laid out: Autoimmune pleuritis. Empyema necessitans.
Hematoma. Mesothelioma. Chest wall soft tissue sarcoma. The case quiz of the
source material also presented these five differential diagnoses, with the
final diagnosis being empyema necessitans.
In front of the screen, I re-evaluated
each possibility. Autoimmune pleuritis? Insufficient to explain the patient's
symptoms and overall imaging. Hematoma? Could explain a rapidly growing mass,
but needed an explanation connecting it to the infectious process of the
pleural space. Mesothelioma? An important differential target as a malignant
disease arising from the pleura, but explaining this patient's rapid clinical
change and the continuity of the lesion as a single process required
considering other possibilities together. Chest wall soft tissue sarcoma?
Thinkable from the shape of a mass alone, but time progression and changes in
the pleural space were again important clues.
And empyema necessitans. This diagnosis
could connect the patient's story into a single sentence: Respiratory symptoms $\rightarrow$
Pleural infection $\rightarrow$ Flank pain $\rightarrow$
Extension from pleural space to chest wall $\rightarrow$
Rapidly growing chest wall mass.
I reconfirmed that connection.
Insert Figure 2
10.
The Coronal Image Told a Different Story
The axial image shows a cross-section. A
single moment's cross-section. However, the coronal image helps in
understanding the superior-inferior direction of the lesion and its overall
continuity.
I looked at the coronal plane again. The
lesion did not merely exist in the chest wall; it looked like a continuous
process with the lesion in the pleural space.
I moved the mouse. From top to bottom.
And again from bottom to top.
"Here." I pointed at the
screen. "This is important."
The fact that there was a lump in the
chest wall was not what mattered; how that lump connected with the lesion in
the pleural space was what mattered. Disease was not a single lump. Disease was
a pathway.
11.
The Body Builds Walls
Our bodies possess numerous boundaries.
Skin. Fascia. Muscle. Pleura. Serosa. Vascular walls. Each protects different
structures. Yet infection sometimes crosses those boundaries.
That does not mean every infection
spreads indiscriminately. Infection is influenced by anatomical spaces, tissue
resistance, pressure, and inflammatory responses. Therefore, in diagnostic
radiology, not only the shape of the lesion but also the spaces along which the
lesion travels are important.
I thought about that while looking at
the patient's CT: Pleural space. Parietal pleura. Chest wall. And subcutaneous
tissue. I had to trace how the lesion passed through these spaces.
[Medical Insight ②]
12.
Between Doubt and Conviction
I paused for a moment before writing the
diagnosis name in the reading report. There is such a moment for a radiologist.
The moment between "I suspect" and "I diagnose."
Imaging is powerful. However, everything
cannot be confirmed by imaging alone. Particularly for infectious diseases,
clinical findings and test results are equally important together.
Therefore, while writing the report, I
expressed things cautiously: Infectious changes in the pleural space. Extension
to the chest wall. Possibility of empyema necessitans. Clinical correlation.
Necessary additional evaluation. And drainage and microbiological evaluation.
A diagnosis is not completed by a single
CT image. Imaging opens the door to diagnosis, and the testing and treatment
process passes through that door.
13.
That Night's Decision
I called the emergency physician again.
"I have checked the imaging."
"How does it look?"
"We must consider pleural
infection."
"And the chest wall mass?"
"The possibility of an infectious
lesion extending from the pleural space to the chest wall appears high."
A brief silence. Then he said,
"Empyema necessitans?"
"Yes." I answered briefly.
"We are viewing that possibility as most important."
"Then what is the next step?"
I said, "We need to confirm the
extent of the infection and evaluate the possibility of drainage. And we must
secure specimens to identify the causative organism."
The call disconnected. I looked back at
the monitor. A single diagnosis name was written. Yet the thought in my mind at
that moment was not the diagnostic name. When the patient opened his eyes
tomorrow morning, would he be able to breathe a little more comfortably? That
was more important.
14.
The Wife Asked
The patient's caregiver entered the
room. She had more questions than her husband.
"Doctor."
"Yes."
"Is my husband in a lot of
danger?"
I simplified the medical terms. "We
currently suspect that the infection has extended as far as the chest
wall."
"As far as the chest wall?"
"Yes."
"Then has it progressed a
lot?"
I nodded. "It is not a situation
that can be taken lightly."
Her face hardened. I immediately
continued, "However, the important thing is that we have now identified
the cause and set the direction for treatment."
She looked at her husband. "He kept
coughing."
"Yes."
"Yet whenever I told him to go to
the hospital, he said he was fine."
The patient smiled and said, "I did
say I was fine."
His wife said, "So what did I tell
you?"
At that moment, a small laugh flowed
inside the hospital room. I watched that laughter. Disease makes a person
heavy. But family sometimes creates a small smile amidst that weight. I did not
interrupt that moment.
15.
"Are Doctors Scared, Too?"
The patient asked me abruptly,
"What is it?"
"When you see a disease like
this."
I smiled for a moment. "I am a
human being, too."
"That's right." He said,
"Are doctors not scared when they see things like this?"
I answered honestly. "There are
times when I am scared."
He showed a slightly surprised
expression. "Really?"
"Yes."
"Then what do you do?"
I said, "Even in a state of fear, I
do what needs to be done, one step at a time."
He nodded. Those words were spoken to
the patient, but in truth, they were words spoken to myself as well. Medicine
is not a discipline of perfection. It is a discipline of choosing the safest
next action amidst uncertainty.
[Medical Insight ③]
16.
The Name Streptococcus intermedius
A few days later, the test results came
out. I checked the result sheet. Streptococcus intermedius.
I read that name again. When explaining
to the patient's caregiver, I did not use excessively professional words.
"The bacteria that can cause the
infection have been identified."
"What kind of bacteria are
they?"
"It is a bacterium called
Streptococcus intermedius."
"Then can it be treated?"
"We will observe the progress while
administering appropriate antibiotic therapy."
The patient was listening quietly.
"Doctor."
"Yes."
"Is it important that we found out
the name of the bacteria?"
"Yes."
"Why?"
"Because knowing which
microorganism is the cause when treating an infection becomes crucial
information in determining the direction of treatment."
He nodded. "Then have we found the
enemy now?"
I smiled. "More or less, yes."
He said, "Then we must fight."
Hearing those words, I smiled.
"Yes."
"Together."
"Yes."
17.
Infection Is an Invisible Enemy
Cancer sometimes appears as a mass.
Hematomas are visible, too. But bacteria are invisible. We see their traces.
Inflammation. Fluid. Edema. Tissue changes. And the name that came out from the
culture test.
To the patient, those are unfamiliar
words, but to the physician, they are coordinates pointing the direction of
treatment. I thought: What we found on the imaging was actually not the
bacteria themselves. We found the tracks left behind by the bacteria.
18.
The Day of Incising the Chest Wall Mass
A crucial moment arrived in the treatment
process. Incision and drainage of the chest wall mass were performed. The
records of the attached case also noted that incision and drainage of the chest
wall mass were performed, followed by long-term antibiotic therapy.
Before surgery, the patient took my
hand. "Doctor."
"Yes."
"Will it disappear when it's
finished?"
"If we drain the infected space and
treat it appropriately, there is a possibility of recovery."
"Will it not happen again?"
I did not give a definitive answer.
"We must treat it well and continue to check the progress."
He nodded. "I understand."
The door closed. I stood in the corridor
for a moment. A physician cannot directly control everything that happens
inside the operating room. But I could wait for that patient to return safely.
19.
Waiting
Waiting in a hospital is a strange time.
Five minutes feel like thirty minutes, and thirty minutes pass like five
minutes. The caregiver was sitting in front of the operating room. I sat beside
her for a moment.
"It will go well, right?" she
asked.
I said, "The medical team is
proceeding with the necessary treatments."
She nodded. And after a long while, she
said, "Actually, at first, I thought it was just a cold."
I listened to her words. "Because
he was coughing."
She thought of her husband and said,
"Yet I never thought it would turn out like this..."
I said, "Many infections can start
out like that at first."
"Then what should be done?"
"It is important to seek medical
evaluation if symptoms persist or worsen."
She quietly nodded.
[Insert Figure 3]
20.
The Person Who Returned to the Ward
After the surgery ended, the patient
returned to the ward. I visited him the next morning. "How do you
feel?"
He opened his eyes. "I feel like I
can live again."
I smiled. "You look better than
yesterday."
"Breathing has become a bit more
comfortable."
I examined his respiration. He still
looked strained, but more stable than the day before.
After a moment, he said, "By the
way, Doctor."
"Yes."
"Why did that lump form?"
I explained again. "We view it as
having occurred as the infection on the pleural side extended to the chest
wall."
He said, "So it didn't form from
the outside; it came out from the inside."
I nodded. "That's right."
He looked down at his chest. "The
body is truly fascinating."
I replied, "I think so, too."
21.
Imaging Makes Us Read the Patient's Body Again
I opened the CT again. Now I had to
think by connecting the imaging after treatment started with the clinical
course.
The pre-treatment imaging showed the map
of the disease: Pleural space. Chest wall. Connection. And extension of
infection.
After treatment, different questions
arise: Is the infection decreasing? Is the drainage sufficient? Is there any
residual collection? Is the chest wall lesion improving? Is the patient's
respiratory status getting better? Are the inflammatory markers on blood tests
decreasing?
These questions cannot be answered by a
single image alone. We must look at the patient's entire body.
22.
"Can You Know Everything with a Single CT?"
The patient asked, "Can you know
all about my disease with a single CT?"
I smiled. "No."
"Then why did you take it?"
"Because the CT provides important
information."
"Not all of it, though?"
"Correct."
"Then what do doctors look at to
make a judgment?"
I said, "We look at everything:
your story, physical examination, blood tests, imaging tests, culture tests,
and treatment response."
He thought for a moment. "So the CT
is a single puzzle piece?"
I nodded. "One of the most
important puzzle pieces."
He laughed. "Then my body is the
puzzle board."
"You may think of it that
way."
[Medical Insight ④]
23.
A Small Cough on a Certain Day
While the patient was recovering, I
often thought about one thing: The day he first started coughing.
That day was probably ordinary. He would
have woken up in the morning. He would have drunk water. He would have coughed
a few times. And he would have started his day without a second thought.
That day, the diagnostic name
"empyema necessitans" did not exist for him. The disease did not yet
have a name. It was merely a small cough.
However, as time passed, that cough
connected with dyspnea. And flank pain occurred. And a chest wall mass
appeared.
We discovered the disease at the final
scene. Yet the disease likely began much earlier.
24.
The Most Difficult Word in Medicine
I thought: One of the most difficult
words in medicine might be "a little."
"I am a little short of
breath."
"I am coughing a little."
"It hurts a little."
To the patient, "a little" may
not be a big problem. But to the physician, when that "a little"
started is important. Is it a few days? Is it a few weeks? Is it getting
progressively worse? Have other symptoms been added? Have new changes occurred
in other parts of the body?
In the case of this patient, "being
a little short of breath" lasted for two weeks. And there was a cough.
Following that, flank pain. And a chest wall mass. Medicine was the task of
uncovering that exact connection.
[Medical Proposal]
25.
The Word Discharge
A few days later, the patient's
condition stabilized gradually. Treatment still remained for him. Infection
does not disappear in a single day. Long-term antibiotic therapy was necessary.
The attached case also recorded that the patient completed a long-term
antibiotic course.
I met the patient again before
discharge. "You may go home."
A smile spread across his face.
"Really?"
"Yes."
He was silent for a while. Then he said,
"I didn't know a hospital could be such a good place."
I smiled. "Not coming back is the
best thing."
He laughed out loud. "That is
right."
26.
The Last Question
Before leaving the hospital, he called
out to me. "Doctor."
"Yes."
"What should I do if I cough next
time?"
I thought for a moment. And I said,
"You do not need to fear the cough itself."
He nodded. "However, if it persists
longer than usual, if you feel short of breath, have a fever, feel chest or
flank pain, or if a new lump forms, do not just brush it off."
He nodded. "I understand."
And he opened the door. He walked slowly
down the corridor. I watched that figure.
The patient left the hospital with a
diagnostic name. Yet what I hoped was not merely that he left with a diagnostic
name alone. I hoped he would value the signals sent by his body a little more.
27.
I Opened the CT Again
That afternoon, I opened that CT once
more. It was the same image as when I first saw it. But I no longer looked at
it as the same person.
At first, I saw the chest wall mass.
Next, I saw the lesion in the pleural space. And finally, I saw the path
connecting the two.
Imaging says nothing. Yet if you look at
it long enough, the traces left by the patient's body begin to tell a story.
What the CT told that day was simple:
"This mass may not have started here."
And that single sentence changed the
direction of diagnosis.
[Insert Figure 4]
28.
What I Learned That Night
That night, I did not learn a single
diagnostic name. In truth, I had known that name for a long time. What I
learned anew was this: Disease does not always begin where it is most visible.
A mass appearing on the chest wall. Yet
the beginning was not the chest wall. The pain felt by the patient. Yet the
cause of the pain was not solely beneath the skin. The cancer feared by the
patient. Yet what was actually revealed was infection.
And the CT. The CT did not create the
disease. The CT showed the path the disease had traveled.
29.
A Map That Existed Inside One Person's Body
I think of medical imaging as a kind of
map. Maps have cities, and roads, and rivers, and boundaries. CT has
boundaries, too. Lungs. Pleura. Muscle. Subcutaneous tissue.
However, when disease occurs, changes happen at those boundaries. Some diseases respect boundaries. Some diseases cross boundaries. And for some diseases, the very fact that they crossed those boundaries becomes an important clue for diagnosis. Empyema necessitans was like that.
The patient returned home. Yet his
treatment was not finished. Antibiotic therapy continued, and time was needed
for the body to recover from the infection. And I knew: Just because diagnosis
ends does not mean the story ends.
Rather, the next questions remain: How
shall we treat the infected pleural space? How shall we drain the pus? By what
criteria should antibiotics be selected? When is drainage alone sufficient, and
when should more active treatment be considered? And to what extent should the
medical team intervene for a patient whose infection starting in the pleural
space has already reached the chest wall?
Carrying those questions, I headed back
to the hospital the next morning.
[Part I ― Medical Proposal]
Prologue: The Body Signals Us Until the Very Last Moment☜ Previous Chapter
Next Chapter ☞ Part II:
Comments
Post a Comment