[Medical Human Story - Episode 79]: Part IV: The Final Scan, and What We Must Protect Until the End
Beyond the Stuffy Nose: The Dark Shadow Within
Prologue | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Epilogue
1. The Word
"Final" Was Not Easily Spoken
"This scan might be the last
one." I couldn't bring myself to say it. Looking at the patient and their
caregiver sitting in the consultation room, the word just wouldn't cross my
lips. Final. It is a common
word in medicine. Final scan. Final treatment. Final outpatient visit. Final
imaging. However, to a patient, that word carries an entirely different
meaning. Instead, I said, "This scan is crucial in determining our
treatment direction." The patient nodded. "I understand." They
already knew. They knew this imaging was not just a routine follow-up.
2. The Light of the MRI Room
The patient paused briefly in front of
the MRI room. "Doctor." "Yes." "I've lost count of how
many times I've had this scan." "I haven't kept an exact count
either." He smiled. "At first, just going inside that machine was
terrifying." "You're used to it now, right?" "I thought I
was... but today, it feels scary again." Instead of answering, I gently
patted his shoulder. The scan began. The door closed. And once more, a long
time passed.
[Insert Figure 13]
3. Images Do Not Lie
The images that came out of the scan
room were silent. I scrolled through them one by one. Post-surgical changes.
Scars. Tissues with potential inflammation. And among them, visible abnormal
changes. This time, they were clearer. The lesion was growing. The boundary
with surrounding tissue was fuzzier than before. I went back to the previous
scan. Then back to the current one. And back to the previous one again. In
moments like this, a radiologist travels back in time. We check past images,
find current changes, and trace back when those changes began. We reread the
past to understand the patient’s present.
4. What the CT Revealed
We checked the CT scan alongside it.
While MRI shows the extent of soft tissue, CT provides essential information
for evaluating bone changes. The nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses are made of
complex skeletal structures. The thin bony walls of the ethmoid sinus, the
orbital wall, the maxillary sinus, the sphenoid sinus, and the skull base. Even
small changes can affect the treatment plan. In this imaging, the medical team
re-verified even the structural changes in the bone. "We need to discuss the
scope of surgery again," the surgical team said. I nodded. The issue was
no longer diagnosis. It was how to treat.
5. The Possibility of Surgery
The multidisciplinary meeting convened
once more. "Is local re-operation possible?" "It's possible, but
the risks are high." "What about the relationship with the orbit and
the skull base?" "We need to accurately confirm the extent of
invasion." "What about systemic lesions?" "We need to check
for additional metastasis in the current staging evaluation." Each medical
specialty spoke in its own language. Yet at the center of the meeting was a
single person: the patient.
6. Returning the Right to Choose to
the Patient
I met with the patient again and
explained the available options. "Based on current imaging, we assess that
the lesion is progressing." The patient lowered their head. "Do I
need surgery?" "We are reviewing the possibility of surgery. However,
we must also consider the extent of the surgery and the potential for
functional loss." "Can I get better if I have surgery?" Faced
with that question, I paused again. "I cannot guarantee a complete
cure." The patient's eyes wavered. But I continued. "Still, it is
meaningful to find a way to treat." The caregiver asked, "How
dangerous is it?" I explained the possible complications and treatment
goals. Surgery. Radiation therapy. Systemic therapy. And palliative care, if
necessary. Every choice came with both benefits and burdens.
7. Families Ask Different Questions
Stepping out of the consultation room,
the caregiver waiting in the hallway called out to me. "Doctor."
"Yes." "Please tell me honestly." "Yes."
"How much longer can we be together?" I briefly looked out the
window. I wanted to give an exact medical answer. But no doctor can precisely
calculate a specific patient's remaining time. I said, "I cannot give you
an exact time." Tears welled up in the caregiver's eyes.
"Then..." "We must provide the care we can now, while also
making sure to protect the time that the patient values most." The
caregiver was silent for a long moment, then quietly said, "That's what I
needed to hear."
8. The Goal of Treatment Is Not
Singular
In cancer treatment, the goal is not
always just one—to "get rid of the tumor." Removing the tumor when
possible, slowing progression, reducing symptoms, maintaining quality of life,
and helping the patient spend the time they want with their family—all of these
are part of treatment. Especially in advanced malignant tumors, it is vital
that these goals are established together by the patient, family, and medical
team.
[Insert Figure 14]
9. The Radiation Therapy Room
The patient visited the hospital once
again for radiation therapy. The medical team greeted them outside the
treatment room. "Have you been well today?" "Yes."
"Any discomfort?" "I'm a little tired." "That can
happen. Please let me know if it gets too hard." He sat in the chair.
Radiation therapy is invisible. The patient receives treatment even in moments
when they feel nothing at all. However, repetitive treatment takes a toll not
only on the body but also on the mind. Traveling to the hospital, waiting,
receiving treatment, and returning home—this daily routine repeats. For some
people, that routine itself is part of the treatment.
10. The Family Dining Table
One weekend, the patient shared a meal
with their family. The caregiver said, "Let's not talk about the hospital
today." The patient smiled. "Good." They talked about ordinary
things. The weather. Television. An old trip. The children. And food. For that
moment, neither melanoma, MRI, CT, nor immunotherapy was brought to the table.
I didn't see that scene, but the caregiver told me about it later. "That
day was really wonderful," I remembered those words for a long time.
11. The Role of the Medical Team
A doctor cannot control every moment
of a patient's life. There are times when we cannot stop the progression of a
disease. However, the medical team must remain by the patient's side to explain
uncertainties, organize options, reduce unnecessary suffering, and find viable
treatments. Above all, we must listen to the patient. What do they want? What
do they fear? What can they not give up? Without knowing these things, we might
choose the right treatment yet fail to provide good medical care.
12. One Morning
7:00 AM. As soon as I arrived at the
hospital, I received a message. The patient’s condition had deteriorated
rapidly. I hurried to the room. The caregiver was sitting by the bedside. The
patient had their eyes closed. "Are you in a lot of pain?" He said in
a very faint voice, "A little..." The caregiver took his hand.
"I'm right here." The patient opened his eyes and looked at his
family. His expression was strangely peaceful.
13. The Final Treatment
The medical team
evaluated the patient's condition. We reached the
conclusion that active anti-cancer treatment was unlikely to help the patient
further and might instead increase their burden. The direction of treatment had
to change now. This was not giving up on treatment. It was changing the goal of
treatment. Pain control. Relief of dyspnea. Reduction of anxiety. Management of
bleeding or secretions. Time with family. Patient dignity. The palliative care
team joined us.
14. "Are You Stopping Treatment
Now?"
The caregiver asked, "Are you
stopping treatment now?" "No," I explained slowly. "We are
still treating. However, we are shifting our goal from attacking the tumor to
reducing the patient's suffering and helping them live comfortably." The
caregiver wept. "That doesn't mean giving up, right?" "No,"
I said clearly. "It is not giving up." With eyes closed, the patient
was listening. A moment later, they said, "Then... please do that."
15. Doctors Can Cry Too
That evening, I stood alone for a
moment at the end of the hallway. Tears fell. Some people live having been told
that doctors must not cry. But a doctor is not a machine. Encountering
countless patients does not make emotions disappear; rather, it teaches us how
to handle them. If a doctor accepts a patient's death solely as their own
personal failure, they cannot properly care for the next patient. Yet if they
feel no emotion at all, medicine cannot be a human act. I tried to find a
balance between the two.
16. The Last Night
The patient said to their family,
"Thank you." The caregiver replied, "What are you talking
about?" "You've been through a lot." "You've been through a
lot too." The patient smiled. "I'm so grateful to the people at the
hospital." The caregiver looked at me. I lowered my head. "We are
even more grateful." The patient looked at me. "Doctor." "Yes."
"Please take good care of the next patient too." I couldn't answer
right away. A moment later, I said, "Yes. I will certainly do that."
17. That Promise
That was the last promise I made to
him. Even in moments when a doctor cannot save a patient's life, we must meet
the next patient. That is a cold reality, but at the same time, it is how
medicine continues. Just because one patient's story has ended does not mean
the doctor's story ends as well. Rather, those memories come alive again the
moment we meet the next patient.
18. A Morning That Felt Like Time Had
Stopped
The next morning, family members
gathered in the hospital room. I quietly opened the door. The patient looked
peaceful. The caregiver was holding his hand. No one spoke. The medical team stood
quietly as well. Before the numbers on the monitor, the faces of the people
caught my eye first. And we knew: the time for treatment had now come to an
end.
19. There Is No Correct Answer to
Grief
After someone passes away, telling the
family to "stay strong" sometimes feels far too easy. There are
moments when you don't need to stay strong. It is okay to cry. It is okay not
to speak. It is okay to be angry. It is okay to want to ask why this happened.
There is no correct answer to grief. The same goes for the medical staff. We
each process the loss of a patient in different ways. Some check the records
again. Some focus more on the next patient's consultation. Some spend a moment
alone. And some remember the patient's face even after returning home.
20. The Final Scan
A few days later, I sat in the imaging
room again. The patient's MRI appeared on the screen. I stared at the screen
for a long time. At first, I only saw the tumor. But after a moment, other
things began to appear on that screen. The face on the day of the first
diagnosis. The look while waiting for treatment. The moments talking with
family."Please take good
care of the next patient too." Looking at the monitor, I quietly said,
"I promise." And I closed the scan.
[Insert Figure 15]
21. The Next Patient
A few days later, a new patient walked
into the consultation room. "What brings you in today?" The patient
said, "My nose has been constantly stuffed." I put down the chart.
"Is it one side or both?" "One side." I looked at the
patient for a moment, and then slowly began to listen. The illness was
beginning anew. But this time, it was someone else's story. I turned on the
monitor and waited for the scans once more.
22. A Doctor's Resolve
Since that day, I have come to hold
one principle even more dearly: never trivializing a patient's symptoms. Of
course, not every nasal congestion is cancer. Not every nosebleed means a
malignant tumor. However, if a symptom is persistent and unilateral, its cause
needs to be verified. And when a small abnormality is found on imaging, never
brushing it off as "nothing." This is one of the most vital
responsibilities a radiologist can give a patient.
23. Clinical Lessons on Sinonasal
Melanoma
Sinonasal melanoma is not a common
condition. However, rarity does not diminish its importance. Because symptoms
are non-specific, diagnosis is often delayed, and it is not uncommon for cases
to be discovered in a locally advanced state upon presentation. Imaging
examinations play a crucial role in determining the location and extent of
lesions, evaluating surrounding structure invasion, assessing surgical
feasibility, and identifying post-treatment changes or suspected recurrence. In
particular, CT and MRI are not competing tests; they provide complementary
information. CT excels in evaluating bone structures, while MRI is useful for
assessing soft tissues and complex anatomical relationships such as nerves, the
orbit, and the skull base.
24. What Patients Need Most
What patients need is not merely complex
medical jargon. "What disease is this?" "How severe is it?"
"What tests will be done?" "Can it be treated?" "What
are the side effects?" "What should I do from now on?" It is
essential that the medical team answers these questions in language that is
easy to understand. Furthermore, patients must be given time to ask questions.
Good medical care does not end with the doctor talking a lot. It is complete
when the patient understands and can ask questions.
25. Families Are Part of the Patient
Too
Only one person is diagnosed with
cancer, but they are not the only one affected by the disease. Spouse. Parents.
Children. Siblings. The lives of the entire family change. Therefore, the
burdens and emotions of the family must also be considered throughout the treatment
process. While the patient receives treatment, caregivers wait in the waiting
room. Waiting for test results, waiting for surgery, waiting for consultations,
and waiting for the next treatment. That waiting is also a part of medical
care.
26. How Far Can Medicine Save
Humanity?
I have pondered this question for a
long time. Medicine has achieved remarkable advancements. High-resolution MRI.
Multi-detector CT. PET/CT. Molecular pathology. Immunotherapy. Precise
radiation therapy. Multidisciplinary care. Even so, we have not conquered all
cancers. Can we say we have failed because of that? I do not think so. The
purpose of medicine is not merely to eliminate death. Delaying death where
possible, reducing suffering where possible, preserving time where possible,
and helping patients choose their own lives—that, too, is medicine.
27. Signals We Must Not Miss
Symptoms that may arouse suspicion of
a sinonasal tumor are non-specific. Representative signs include:
·
Unilateral nasal congestion
·
Recurrent nosebleeds
·
Decreased sense of smell
·
Facial pain or pressure
sensation
As the disease progresses, visual or
neurological symptoms may also occur depending on the invasion of structures
around the orbit or skull base. Therefore, if symptoms persist or worsen, an
evaluation by an otolaryngologist is necessary.
[Medical adviser]
28. What We Left Behind
The patient has left. Yet what he left
behind was not just sorrow. He left questions for the medical team. Could we
have found it earlier? Could we have evaluated it more accurately? Were our
treatment choices sufficient? Could we have better protected the life the
patient wanted? These questions do not easily fade away. And the advancement of
medicine begins precisely with such questions.
30. Beyond the Dark Shadow
Sinonasal melanoma can appear as a
dark shadow on an MRI screen. However, that shadow does not represent the
patient's entire life. Imaging shows the disease. Pathology explains the
identity of the tumor. Treatment fights the illness. Yet what completes a
patient's life are moments spent with family, trust in the medical team, and
the ability to live the way they choose. I try never to forget that.
31. Not an End, but a Record
I reread the patient's final medical
record and wrote down the final sentence: "Treatment and care performed with the patient's
life and dignity as the top priority." That sentence was merely a line
in a medical chart. But to me, it was a long story. In that story lived a
person's fear, a family's love, the medical team's deep contemplation, and time
spent refusing to give up until the very end.
32. And Morning Comes Again
The next morning, people gathered at
the hospital once more. Patients checked in, nurses moved through the wards,
and doctors entered consultation rooms. I walked down the hallway holding a cup
of coffee and opened the consultation room door. Today, I had to meet a new
patient. I sat down in my chair. The door opened. "Come in." A new
patient walked in. I smiled and asked, "What brings you in today?" At
that moment, I was standing at the starting point once again.
Part IV's Final Sentence
A person's story has ended, but the
questions they left behind continue to live on inside the heart of the doctor
meeting the next patient. And today, I look at the scans once more— to ensure I
do not miss a single small signal on the screen, because behind that small
signal lies someone's family and life.
Part III: The Reappearing Black Shadow☜ Previous Chapter
Next Chapter ☞ Epilogue: What We Must Protect Until the End

Comments
Post a Comment