[Medical Human Story - Episode 79]: Part III: The Reappearing Black Shadow

 

Beyond the Stuffy Nose: The Dark Shadow Within

Prologue | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Epilogue 

 

Part III: The Reappearing Black Shadow



 1. The Call Came at 4:17 PM

4:17 PM.

I still remember that time.

Dozens of calls are made and received at the hospital every day.

Some ask for test results,

some change appointments,

and others are among medical staff verifying a patient's condition.

Therefore, a single phone ring does not automatically mean bad news.

However, that day was different.

"Is this Dr. Elias Lee?"

"Yes."

"The patient says his nosebleeds have started again today."

I paused for a moment.

"Is the volume heavy?"

"Not much, but... he says it feels stranger than last time."

Those words lingered in my mind.

Stranger than last time.

There were no medical metrics in the patient's words.

Yet, in the clinical field,

such expressions sometimes become critical signals.

________________________________________________________

2. The Word "Recurrence"

The next day, the patient came to the hospital.

Fatigue was etched across his face.

"The nosebleeds are back."

"Since when?"

"From a few days ago."

"Is it coming from only one side?"

"Yes."

I looked into his eyes.

It was the same question I had asked when he first visited the hospital.

Nasal congestion.

Nosebleeds.

And this time, there was one more thing.

"How is your sense of smell?"

He thought for a moment.

"I think I can smell less than before."

The caregiver asked cautiously.

"Could it have recurred?"

The air inside the examination room suddenly grew heavy.

I did not answer right away.

"It is one of the possibilities. However, we cannot conclude it is a recurrence at this stage."

"Then do we need to test again?"

"Yes. This time, it is especially important to compare it with previous imaging."

The patient nodded.

He already knew.

What restarting tests meant.


________________________________________________________

3. Same MRI, Different Mind

I stood in front of the MRI examination room.

A few months ago, when the first images were taken here, the patient had been anxious.

This time was different.

He even knew the location of the examination room.

"I will verify your metal items."

"Yes."

"Contrast media will be used."

"Yes."

"You must not move during the scan."

"I know."

Watching him, I felt a strange emotion.

People who live with illness grow accustomed to the hospital.

The mechanical hums that once felt unfamiliar become part of daily life.

The scan room numbers become familiar,

the location of the clinic becomes familiar,

and the faces of the medical staff become familiar.

However, becoming accustomed and being free from fear are entirely different stories. 

[Insert Figure 9]

________________________________________________________

4. Subtle Differences on the Screen

I flipped through the images one by one.

Preoperative images.

Immediate postoperative images.

The first follow-up images.

And this current set of images.

At first, nothing out of the ordinary was visible.

Yet in radiology,

sometimes the change itself is the finding.

Has the contrast enhancement pattern changed?

Has the soft tissue thickened?

Has a new nodular lesion appeared that was not there before?

Has restricted diffusion newly developed?

Has the relationship with surrounding structures changed?

I checked the DWI.

There was a signal change in the area suspected of a lesion.

I also checked the ADC map.

"Here it is,"

I told my colleague.

"Let's compare it with the previous ones."

We placed the two images side by side.

Over time, the morphology was changing.

At that moment,

I knew the time to explain this to the patient was approaching.


________________________________________________________

5. What DWI Tells Us

DWI visualizes the movement of water molecules.

As cellular density increases in a tumor, the extracellular space may decrease,

resulting in restricted diffusion of water molecules, which can appear as high signal intensity on DWI and low values on ADC.

However, there is an important principle:

Just because DWI is bright does not mean it is true restricted diffusion right away.

This is because T2 shine-through can influence the signal.

Therefore, the ADC map must be checked together.

This principle is also important in sinonasal tumors.

Looking at the screen, I recalled that sentence once again.

An image is never interpreted from a single sheet alone.

Different sequences cross-validate one another. 

[Medical Insight]

________________________________________________________

6. "Is It a Recurrence?"

I returned to the examination room.

The patient looked at my expression first.

A physician communicates a great deal even before speaking.

The patient tries to read the doctor's eyes.

"There are changes in the imaging compared to the previous ones that require verification."

The patient's expression tightened.

"Has the cancer come back?"

"We cannot confirm this with the current images alone."

The caregiver asked.

"Then how do we verify it?"

"We need to review the endoscopic evaluation and clinical findings together, and consider a biopsy if necessary. A process is needed to confirm whether the suspected area on the imaging is an actual tumor."

The patient lowered his head.

After a long silence, he said,

"Do I... have to go through that treatment again?"

I answered.

"Nothing has been decided yet."

What he needed was neither rash hope

nor hasty despair.

Checking what could be checked, one step at a time.

That was what we could do right now.


________________________________________________________

7. Meeting the Tissue Once Again

The suspected area was examined via endoscopy.

The medical team compared the previous surgical site with the newly observed lesion.

A biopsy was performed.

After returning from the examination room, the patient said,

"Waiting for the results is the hardest part."

I understood those words.

Sometimes the time spent waiting for results feels longer than the test itself.

Time flows in reality,

but to the patient, it feels as though it has stopped.

Morning passes,

lunch passes,

and even when evening arrives,

the mind remains standing right before that single line of result.

________________________________________________________

8. Pathology Results

A few days later, the results arrived.

I read the pathology report.

And I checked the images once more.

Clinical information.

Endoscopy.

MRI.

CT.

Pathology.

Each piece of information pointed in the same direction.

I had to explain to the patient that the possibility of recurrence was very high.

The caregiver asked.

"What should we do this time?"

The medical team gathered again.

The multidisciplinary meeting began.

 

[Insert Figure 10]



________________________________________________________

9. Can It Be Operated On?

It was the first question raised.

"Can it be locally resected again?"

The surgical team reviewed the images.

Orbit.

Skull base.

Major blood vessels.

Surrounding nerves.

Previous surgical boundaries.

New lesions.

Possibilities and risks had to be evaluated simultaneously.

Surgery is not simply the act of cutting away a tumor.

It is a balance between how far to remove and what to preserve.

Saving the patient's life is paramount,

but that process can affect vision, neurological function, facial structure, and quality of life.

In medicine, "removing as much as possible" is sometimes not synonymous with "the best treatment."


________________________________________________________

10. Tears of the Caregiver

The caregiver asked.

"Can his eyes be saved?"

The surgeon was silent for a moment.

"It may depend on the extent of invasion confirmed in the imaging."

"Please save them if possible."

Those words were not a medical question.

They were a plea.

I looked into the caregiver's eyes.

To a family, an eye is not merely an anatomical organ.

It is the face they shared together,

the expression in photographs,

the gaze that looked upon their child.

Therefore, a surgical decision always carries a meaning far beyond anatomy.


________________________________________________________

11. Redefining Treatment Goals

The medical oncologist said,

"Instead of judging based solely on local treatment, we must consider systemic status and the possibility of recurrence together."

The patient asked,

"What is systemic treatment?"

"Depending on whether the cancer is confined to a specific site or present elsewhere, the treatment strategy can vary. Systemic treatments like immunotherapy can become important options."

The patient remained silent for a while.

"Does that mean there is still treatment I can receive?"

"Yes."

The doctor's answer was brief.

Yet those few words held profound meaning for the patient.


________________________________________________________

12. Hope and Probability Are Different

I thought about the part we must be most careful with when medical staff conveys hope to patients.

Giving hope must not mean guaranteeing treatment efficacy.

Conversely, a poor prognosis must not mean denying the possibility of treatment altogether.

Medical reality lies somewhere in between.

There are treatments from which we can expect efficacy.

Yet there are also patients who do not respond.

Treatment can shrink a tumor.

However, it can also progress again.

Some patients maintain a stable condition for a long period.

Therefore, what a patient needs is not vague optimism,

but realistic hope they can choose after understanding their own situation.


________________________________________________________

13. Starting Immunotherapy

Treatment was decided.

The patient sat in the treatment chair.

The nurse verified.

"Are you experiencing any discomfort?"

"I'm fine."

"You will receive your treatment today."

The patient extended his arm.

The infusion began.

Watching that scene, I thought:

Immunotherapy is quiet on the outside.

There are no loud mechanical hums like surgery,

nor massive equipment moving around like radiation therapy.

However, complex immunological processes take place inside the body.

The core principle is to restore anti-tumor immune responses by blocking immune checkpoint signals that inhibit T-cell function. 

[Medical Insight]

________________________________________________________

14. Unexpected Symptoms

Not long after treatment began, the patient said,

"I've been feeling so tired lately."

"Since when?"

"A few days."

"Any other symptoms?"

"I feel a bit itchy too."

The medical team checked the symptoms.

With immunotherapy, various immune-related adverse events can occur, ranging from skin symptoms to the gastrointestinal tract, liver, lungs, and endocrine system.

Therefore, when a patient experiences new symptoms, it must be evaluated whether they are related to the treatment.

"Can I just tough it out and let it pass?"

The patient asked.

"No,"

I said.

"Please tell us about even the smallest changes during treatment."

He nodded.


________________________________________________________

15. The Sentence Medical Staff Hate Most

I recalled a sentence used almost jokingly among medical staff:

"I didn't mention it because it didn't seem like a big deal."

To a patient, it might seem like a minor symptom.

However, for a patient receiving immunotherapy, small changes can be early signs of significant side effects.

Therefore, one of the most important principles explained to patients is this:

Do not endure it in silence.

Especially if you have new or rapidly worsening symptoms, it is safest to inform the medical team.


________________________________________________________

16. And the Second Imaging

Time passed.

Follow-up imaging was scheduled once again.

This time, everyone was nervous.

It was different from when we looked at the pre-surgical MRI.

This time, we had to verify treatment efficacy.

Has the tumor shrunk?

Is it stable?

Have new lesions developed?

Is it responding to treatment?

The images posed questions once more. 

[Insert Figure 11]

________________________________________________________

17. Subtle Changes

I looked at the images.

"It seems smaller than before,"

the medical team said.

"Yes. But it is not a complete disappearance."

I explained to the patient,

"There are findings showing response to treatment."

His face brightened a little.

"Then it got better, right?"

"We can view this as a positive change on the current imaging. However, we must continue to monitor it."

The patient smiled.

"You always say we 'have to keep watching,' Doctor."

"That phrase is vital when treating cancer."

He smiled.

This time, I smiled too.


________________________________________________________

18. Yet Cancer Was Not Simple

Months later,

changes occurred again.

This time, it was in a different location.

It was small.

Very small.

Yet it had not been there before.

The medical team reviewed the imaging and clinical information together once more.

We discussed whether a PET/CT was necessary, whether additional MRI was required, or if tissue confirmation was needed.

The difficulty in cancer treatment is not merely finding large lesions.

It is judging what small changes signify.


________________________________________________________

19. That Night's Meeting

There were five doctors in the conference room.

Radiology.

Otolaryngology.

Pathology.

Radiation Oncology.

Medical Oncology.

All of them were looking at the same images.

"This area was not present in the previous images."

"Could it be post-surgical change?"

"The morphology is a bit different."

"What about the DWI?"

"Restricted diffusion is suspected."

"Then do we need tissue confirmation?"

A brief silence.

Someone spoke.

"We must explain this to the patient."

The meeting ended.

Yet no one rose from their seat with a light heart.


________________________________________________________

20. The Moment to Tell the Patient

I met the patient and the caregiver.

"There are changes in the tests that we need to look into."

The patient looked at my face.

"Is it metastasis?"

"We cannot confirm it with the current images alone."

"Then the fact that the doctors gathered again means..."

He could not finish his sentence.

I said,

"Yes. It's a change worth checking, too significant to simply pass over."

Tears pooled in the caregiver's eyes.

"Do we need tests again?"

"Yes."

The patient said quietly,

"I will do it."

Those few words lingered long.


________________________________________________________

21. What the Patient Feared Most Was Not Pain

Days later, he told me,

"I'm not afraid of surgery."

"What are you most afraid of?"

He thought for a long while.

"I hate making my family wait again."

I could say nothing.

The patient was worrying about his family's pain more than his own.

Conversely, the caregiver said,

"We can wait."

"It's hard on you."

"We'll wait anyway."

In the examination room that day, silence lasted longer than medical explanations.


________________________________________________________

22. A Doctor's Vow

I could not promise the patient,

"You will definitely get better."

I could not say those words.

"It will not recur."

I could not say that either.

The promises a doctor can make are limited.

Yet there is one thing I can say:

"I will examine things as accurately as possible."

The patient looked at me.

"And I will make sure we are not late when the crucial moment arrives."

He nodded.

That was the promise I could keep.


________________________________________________________

23. How Time Changes a Person

On the day he was first diagnosed,

the patient struggled even to pronounce the name of his disease.

"Sinonasal... melanoma."

Now he spoke naturally.

"My melanoma."

The process of a disease's name becoming a part of oneself is a sorrowful thing.

At the same time, however, as people understand the disease, they gradually reclaim agency.

They understand test results, ask about treatment goals, discuss side effects, and deliberate on choices with the medical team.

The patient was no longer passive.

He was becoming a member of the treatment team.


________________________________________________________

24. Numbers Called Prognosis

One day, the caregiver asked,

"Doctor, I looked online and the survival rates were so low."

I remained silent for a moment.

Sinonasal melanoma is known as a rare yet aggressive malignant tumor.

While historical literature has reported low 5-year survival rates, recent systematic reviews and meta-analyses—varying by study—report an overall 5-year survival rate of approximately 30 to 35%.

However, I did not lead with numbers.

"Statistics describe populations."

The caregiver looked at me.

"They are not numbers that accurately predict an individual patient's future."

"Then what should our family do?"

"We must judge based on the current stage and treatment response."

That was the most honest answer.


________________________________________________________

25. The Person Behind Statistics

I do not dislike statistics.

On the contrary, statistics are essential in medicine.

They are necessary to evaluate treatment efficacy, compare risks, and provide realistic information to patients.

However, the denominator and numerator of statistics are human beings.

Each patient has a different stage and biological profile, receives different treatments, and lives a different life.

Therefore, statistics are a compass pointing in a direction, not a verdict determining an individual's destiny.


________________________________________________________

26. The Question About Treatment Costs

One day, the caregiver asked a practical question.

"How much will the treatment cost?"

I felt a pang in my heart because the question was so grounded in reality.

In cancer treatment, medical and financial issues are inseparable.

The burden can vary depending on the extent of surgery, whether endoscopic surgery is used, length of stay, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, recurrence status, metastasis, and insurance coverage.

"It is best to check the exact costs with the hospital's administrative and counseling department once the treatment plan is finalized."

The caregiver nodded.

That day, I realized once more:

Healthcare is not just about treating tumors.

Creating an environment where the patient can sustain treatment is equally important.


________________________________________________________

27. The Patient's Final Question

One day, as treatment progressed a step further,

the patient asked me,

"Doctor, have you seen many patients like this?"

"Yes. I've met several."

"It must be hard, right?"

I smiled.

"Some days are."

"Are doctors sad when patients die?"

I could not answer for a moment.

"Yes."

He looked at me.

"Then how do you endure it?"

I said,

"I don't forget."

"You don't forget?"

"No. Instead, I use that memory as a reason to take better care of the next patient."

He nodded quietly.


________________________________________________________

28. Walking the Hospital Corridors Again

That night, I walked the hospital corridors.

The space, filled with people during the day, had grown quiet.

Automatic doors opened and closed.

A nurse's footsteps could be heard.

In the distance, a monitor alarm sounded.

I stood in front of the window.

Instead of Seoul's city lights, the patient's face surfaced in my mind.

The day he first came to the hospital.

The day his nosebleeds wouldn't stop.

The day we took the MRI.

The day we waited for surgery.

The day treatment first began.

And the day we suspected recurrence.

Every scene connected like a long film.


________________________________________________________

29. What Saving a Life Means

Medical professionals often say, "We save lives."

Yet we cannot save every life.

No matter how precise the imaging,

how prompt the diagnosis,

or how optimal the treatment selected,

there are moments when the disease wins.

That is painful for doctors too.

However, that fact does not erase the meaning of medicine.

Reducing suffering while the patient is alive, creating treatment opportunities, extending lifetime, and protecting the time they can spend with their family.

And treating the patient as a human being until the very last moment.

That, too, I believe is part of saving a life.


________________________________________________________

30. It Is Not Over Yet

That patient's treatment continued.

And my observation continued as well.

I looked at MRIs, compared CTs, checked pathology reports, and recorded treatment responses.

Sometimes there was good news.

Sometimes there was concerning news.

Yet every time, we had to find the next choice.

Disease does not give us the correct answer.

Instead, it keeps asking questions.

What should we do next?

To answer that question, the doctor looks at images, the pathologist looks at tissue, the medical oncologist looks at treatment possibilities, and the patient and family think about the direction of life.

And all those gazes converge on a single person.


________________________________________________________

31. What I Have Learned

I have viewed countless medical images.

I have seen countless masses, hemorrhages, fractures, and blood clots.

Yet there was always a person inside those images.

The same was true for the diagnosis of sinonasal melanoma.

On MRI, it appears as black-and-white signals.

On CT, it appears as bone destruction and a soft tissue mass.

On DWI, it may appear with high signal intensity.

On ADC, it may appear with low values.

In pathology, it is explained by cells and immunomarkers.

Yet to the patient, it is a father's diagnosis,

a husband's illness,

and a family's daily life.

[So, whenever I look at medical images, I ask myself:

"What is the person behind this screen afraid of right now?"] 

[Insert Figure 12]


[Medical Insight]


________________________________________________________

[Medical Recommendations]

________________________________________________________

33. After That Day

The patient went home.

I was left alone.

On the computer screen, the last MRI we looked at remained.

Black.

White.

Gray.

Numerous signals in between.

I closed the screen.

And for a long while, I did not move.

For a doctor, the hardest moment is not just making a diagnosis.

It is the moment you must convey the truth to a patient while knowing how their life will change.

We do not know the future.

Yet we know what needs to be done today.

We check again.

We compare again.

We run the necessary tests.

We find ways to treat.

And we stay by the patient's side so they do not stand alone.

Tomorrow morning, I will come to the hospital again.

The patient will come too.

We will look at images once more.

And we will make another choice.

No one knows how long those choices will continue.

Yet one thing was certain.

We had not given up yet.

However, I did not yet know

that a few months later,

the patient's state would change drastically once again,

placing the medical team before the hardest choice of all—

and that at the end of that choice,

both the doctor and the family would face a day neither could ever forget for the rest of their lives.

Until that day, we walked.

Slowly.

Yet without stopping.

_______________________________________________________

Part II: What We Can Still Do☜ Previous Chapter

Next Chapter ☞ Part IV: The Final Scan, and What We Must Protect Until the End

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Medical Human Story – Episode 77] Part II: Where the Stone Stopped, the Bowel Began to Speak

[MHS: Medical Human Story – Episode 77] Prologue: Time Frozen on the CT Screen - A Long Story Written by Disease

[MHS: Medical Human Story – Episode 77] Part I: The Stone That Disappeared from the Gallbladder, the Trajectory of a Life Brought to a Standstill