[Medical Human Story–Time Hidden Beneath the Skin]–Episode 50–Hidradenitis Suppurativa(2)
The Silent Inflammation Blooming on the Nape of the Neck
Part II: The Day the
Follicle Closed
The rain lingered for days after that.
Inside the morning elevator on my way to work, the image of the man’s nape
flashed before me. The thickened skin, the cycles of inflammation, and a
silence deeper than the pain itself. Hidradenitis Suppurativa. The name
is long and clinical, yet its origin is startlingly mundane.
A single hair follicle. The day that tiny canal was obstructed.
Reunited in the Clinic
A week later, he sat before me once again. Beside him, his wife’s
expression was even more set than before. “Doctor, do you have the results?”
I nodded. “The MRI findings are consistent with classic Hidradenitis
Suppurativa—nape. In other words, HS of the back of the neck.”
He closed his eyes for a moment. “Why here, of all places? It’s not even
the armpits...”
“Most cases occur in the axillae or the groin,” I explained gently. “But
it does rarely manifest on the nape. Because it’s an atypical location,
diagnosis is often delayed.”
His wife spoke up. “So... it’s not cancer, then?”
“No. However, if chronic inflammation persists, the skin deforms and
undergoes fibrosis. In rare instances, it can increase the risk of skin cancer.
That is why early intervention is vital.”
His eyes wavered.
The Day the Abscess First Appeared
“At first, it was just a tiny pimple.” His voice was low, but his memory
was vivid. “I felt it while shaving. I thought if I just squeezed it, it would
go away.” He gave a bitter smile. “Once I squeezed it, it only got bigger.”
I visualized the scene in my mind: The follicle obstructs. Internal
pressure builds. Eventually, it ruptures. Keratin and bacteria spill from the
burst follicle into the surrounding tissue. Immune cells swarm the site. The
inflammatory cascade ignites.
On that day, a silent war had already begun inside his body.
The Cycle Begins
“When I took antibiotics, it would settle down,” he said, bowing his head.
“But two months later, it would swell again... burst... and smell...”
His wife placed her hand over his. I asked, “How severe was the pain?”
“Enough to keep me awake at night.”
He didn't say more, but I knew. Hidradenitis Suppurativa inflicts a
suffering that goes beyond physical pain. The odor. The scarring. The
recurrence. And the weight of the public gaze.
Pathways on the MRI
I opened the imaging again. Axial T2. “Do you see this pathway?” He
nodded. “As the inflammation repeated, it created tunnels beneath the skin.
These are called sinus tracts.” “So... this whole path has to disappear for me
to get better?” “Yes. Otherwise, it will recur.”
He took a deep breath. “Why is my body reacting like this?” I paused.
“It’s because the immune system is overreacting. There are genetic
predispositions and risk factors like smoking or obesity.” He shook his head.
“I don’t smoke.” “His weight is normal, too,” his wife added. I nodded. “Then
it is likely a purely immunological factor.”
Another Connection — The Spine
I spoke carefully. “You mentioned your neck hurts?” He nodded. “It’s stiff
every morning.” “The MRI shows findings suspicious of Ankylosing Spondylitis.”
He looked at me, startled. “Is that an inflammatory disease too?” “Yes.
And it shares a similar inflammatory pathway with HS.” “Do they use the same
medicine, then?” his wife asked. “Correct. Biologics—specifically TNF-α
inhibitors like Adalimumab—are effective for both conditions.”
The Crossroads of Choice
“If I have surgery... will there be a lot of scarring?” His question was
grounded in reality. “There will be scars. But even now, fibrosis has already
set in. The priority is to stop the recurrence.”
He thought for a long time. “Can we try the medicine first? If it doesn’t
work, then we do the surgery.” I nodded. “That’s an option. However, because
the sinus tracts have already formed, medication alone may not achieve full
remission.”
His wife gripped his hand tightly. “I just want you to stop hurting.” For
a moment, his eyes grew misty.
The Meaning of the Day the Follicle Closed
I looked at him and reflected. Two years ago, he felt a tiny nodule he felt while
shaving. That was the day the follicle closed.
He didn't know the significance then; perhaps his doctor didn't either.
And so, time flowed. Inflammation became a tract; the tract became fibrosis;
the fibrosis became a part of his life.
Silence in the Consultation Room.
He stood up to leave. “Doctor, I’m putting my trust in you.” Hearing those
words, I felt the weight of it. A doctor prescribes medicine, but a patient
prescribes trust. And that trust is the heaviest responsibility of all.
Outside, the rain was stopping. The sky was still overcast, but light was
bleeding through the clouds from somewhere far off.
Hidradenitis Suppurativa. A mass on
the nape. An MRI interpretation. A chronic inflammatory disease.
I closed the electronic chart. The story had now moved beyond a simple
diagnosis into the realm of treatment and choice.
Comments
Post a Comment