[Medical Human Story: Episode 61]-At the Brink of Breath, Unseen Pressure_1

 

 🔎 Search Description

A medical human story centered on supine tension pneumothorax, detailing the emergency management, diagnostic process (CT, PET-CT, biopsy), surgical treatment (VATS, lobectomy), and recovery of a patient with COPD and lung cancer, combining emotional storytelling with in-depth medical insight.


Prologue: Supine Tension Pneumothorax, The Silence of a Patient Lying Down


I often ask myself a question.

Is air truly light?

We breathe. We inhale, and we exhale.
The act is so natural that most people forget it is the most fundamental condition for survival.

But I know.

I know how heavy air can become.

That night, I witnessed, right before my eyes, the process of a person dying under the pressure of air.


My name is Elias Lee.
I am an emergency medicine physician.

For over a decade, I have stood at the boundary between life and death countless times.
Cardiac arrest, massive hemorrhage, sepsis, acute respiratory failure…

But that patient was different.

He said nothing.

No—more precisely, he could not speak.


The moment the patient arrived, I sensed something was wrong.

A middle-aged man, transported lying on a stretcher.
His consciousness was clouded, his breathing shallow.

The nurse reported:

“SpO₂ is 82%, and his blood pressure is dropping.”

I immediately checked the monitor.

SpO₂: 82%

Blood pressure: 90/60 mmHg

Heart rate: 128 bpm

Respiratory rate: 30 breaths/min

A classic presentation of respiratory failure with hemodynamic instability.

But there was another problem.

He was lying down.


Most patients with dyspnea instinctively try to sit upright.
That position allows better lung expansion and easier breathing.

But this patient did not move.

No—he could not move.

His chest rose asymmetrically.

In that instant, a single possibility flashed through my mind.

“Supine tension pneumothorax…”


A pneumothorax.
Air escapes from the lung and accumulates in the pleural space.

But there is a far more dangerous form.

Tension pneumothorax.

In this condition, air cannot escape and continues to accumulate.
It behaves like a one-way valve, causing intrathoracic pressure to rise relentlessly.

As a result:

The lung is completely compressed

The heart is pushed toward the opposite side

The vena cava is compressed, preventing blood from returning to the heart

Ultimately, the patient progresses to hypoxia, shock, and cardiac arrest.

And all of this can happen within minutes.


Typical tension pneumothorax is often recognized quickly.

Because:

One lung collapses completely

The chest becomes visibly distended

The trachea shifts to the opposite side

But this patient was different.

He was lying down.

In the supine position, air does not rise to the lung apex—it spreads anteriorly across the chest.

Therefore:

The typical chest expansion is not obvious

It is not clearly visible on X-ray

Diagnosis is delayed

And that delay means death.


I placed the stethoscope on his chest.

Left lung.
Breath sounds were nearly absent.

The right side was relatively normal.

But something more important stood out.

Jugular venous distension (JVD).

The veins in his neck were abnormally engorged.

This was more than a respiratory problem.

It was a sign that venous return to the heart was obstructed.


I did not hesitate.

Imaging? CT?
There was no time for that.

This was a clinical diagnosis.

I said:

“Prepare for needle decompression.”


The treatment for tension pneumothorax is simple.

But at the same time, it is one of the most dramatic interventions in medicine.

A single needle can determine life or death.

I picked up a 14-gauge needle.

The target location:

2nd intercostal space, midclavicular line
or

5th intercostal space, anterior axillary line

Without hesitation, I inserted the needle.

And in that moment—


The sound of escaping air filled the room.

It was not just a sound.

It was the sound of pressure being released.


Oxygen saturation began to rise.

82% → 88% → 93%

His blood pressure started to recover as well.

Only then did I finally allow myself to breathe.



Medicine is a science.

But at the same time, it is the art of decision-making.

The moment you wait for all the data, the patient dies.

That day, I did not wait for data.

Instead, I trusted the signals the patient’s body was giving me.


Shortness of breath is not simply a lack of oxygen.

Sometimes,

it is invisible pressure crushing a life.


The patient survived.

But the real question came next.

Why did this happen?

Was it just trauma?

Or… was there something deeper?

As I reviewed his CT scan,

I had a strong sense that another story was just beginning.



 

I am still standing in the emergency room.

And every day,

I fight against invisible air.


To be continued "Part I: Invisible Cracks."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3