[Medical Human Story - Episode 66] Hidden Beneath the Navel — The Vestige of a Fetus Left in a Boy’s Bowel-2

 

 

Part I: Time Was Folded Inside the Boy’s Gut

The Ward on the Eve of Surgery

The faint light of dawn was bleeding through the ward windows. Yun-seo was still awake.

Having finished my rounds, I quietly pushed open the door to his room. The green waveform on the cardiac monitor rippled with a steady rhythm.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Life always proves its existence through the simplest of signals.

"Not sleeping yet?"

Yun-seo kept his eyes fixed on the ceiling as he spoke. "What’s inside my belly?"

Children always pierce straight to the essence of things.

I paused to think. Adults offer names of diseases. But what children need is understanding.

"A tiny pouch that was there before you were born—it's still remaining inside." "Why didn’t it go away?" "Sometimes, the body blinks."

Yun-seo blinked his eyes slowly. "Then... did my body make a mistake?"

The question carried an unbearable weight of sadness. I sat down on the chair beside him and spoke softly.

"No. Our bodies aren't meant to be perfect from the start. We all live our lives carrying little remnants of our beginnings."

Yun-seo seemed to hold onto those words, turning them over in his mind for a long time.

 

[Medical Insight] Fetal Development and Meckel’s Diverticulum 


 The Boy’s Father

Yun-seo’s father was a man of few words. He stood by the window, his gaze locked onto his smartphone.

But I knew. Guardians are at their most terrified when they are searching for answers online. The internet explains the pathology, but it amplifies the dread along with it.

"Doctor," he broke the silence, his voice low and tight. "I looked it up online, and it said... the bowel could rot."

I closed the chart. "There are currently no signs of necrosis."

He exhaled a breath of relief, but the next question followed instantly. "Then why does it hurt him so much?"

I pulled up the CT scan on the monitor. "The bowel is telescoping into itself." "Telescoping?" "Yes. It’s called intussusception."

I pointed to the cross-section of the folded bowel in the image. A structure resembling concentric rings.

The Target Sign.


 "This part right here keeps pulling the bowel inward." "Is that... the Meckel’s diverticulum?"

I nodded slowly.

The World Called a Hospital

A hospital is a strange place. Someone is born, someone dies, and someone, for the very first time, comes to understand their own body.

I walked toward the pediatric surgery conference room. Old surgical photographs hung along the walls. One of them was a record of a Meckel’s diverticulectomy performed in 1987.

The young child in that black-and-white photo would be middle-aged by now. The thought crossed my mind out of nowhere.

Medicine is a conversation that transcends time. The experience left behind by one generation of surgeons is handed down to the next. And in that quiet relay, countless children survive.

Pre-Operative Conference

"Lead point likely Meckel’s diverticulum," the pediatric surgery professor stated flatly. "Any signs of bowel ischemia?" "Lactate levels are currently normal." "Perforation?" "None."

I flipped through Yun-seo’s imaging data once more. Abdominal CT. GI series. A negative Meckel scan.

The puzzle pieces were nearly all in place, yet one detail remained unexplained.

"Why was the scan negative?" a young resident asked.

I pointed at the screen. "There is a high probability that it lacks ectopic gastric mucosa." "So there won't be any bleeding?" "Right. But the risk of intussusception remains just as real."

[Medical Insight] Principles of the Technetium-99m Meckel Scan


Yun-seo’s Drawing

The afternoon before the surgery, the ward nurse handed me a small sheet of paper. "Yun-seo wanted me to give this to you, Doctor."

On it was a crude crayon drawing. Inside a massive belly, an oddly elongated pouch was attached. Next to it, he had written:

“The Bad Pouch”

I stared at the drawing for a long time. Children express illness in the simplest, most accurate terms.

The bad pouch. That was the entirety of the disease as Yun-seo understood it.

But as a physician, I knew better. A disease is not merely an object to be excised. It encompasses the time and the memories that the illness leaves in its wake.

The Entrance to the OR

The morning of the surgery arrived. Yun-seo lay on the gurney, his face rigid with tension.

The anesthesiologist offered a warm smile. "Just close your eyes for a little bit, and when you wake up, it’ll all be over."

Yun-seo reached out and grabbed my wrist. "Doctor." "Yes, Yun-seo?" "I will wake up, right?"

Every time I hear that question, a small part of my heart crumbles. A surgeon operates every single day, but for the patient, it is usually the most terrifying, unprecedented horror of their life.

"Of course you will," I replied with a smile. "And when you wake up, your belly won't hurt nearly as much."

Slowly, his grip loosened.

The Universe Inside the Laparoscopic Camera

The surgery began in silence. Trocar insertion. CO₂ insufflation.

The interior of the peritoneal cavity unfolded across the monitor. The inside of the human body never ceases to be a marvel. Warm, crimson organs. Minute, delicate vessels. Tissue is alive and moving.

And there, right in the center—we found it.

The terminal ileum. The antimesenteric border. A protruding structure about 5 centimeters long.

A textbook Meckel’s diverticulum.


But that wasn't the only issue. A fibrous band had formed around the diverticulum, anchoring and pulling the bowel, triggering the intussusception.

"There it is," the professor said. "Lead point confirmed."

I stared at the monitor. A single remnant from his fetal days was twisting a ten-year-old boy's intestines a decade later.

Perhaps the human body is truly an organ that archives time.

Resection

The procedure moved swiftly. Identification of the diverticular base. Assessment of blood supply. Stapler insertion.

And then—the resection.

Click.

The tiny pouch on the monitor was severed. It was so small. Barely a few centimeters. Yet that microscopic anomaly had disrupted the entirety of a child's life.

It occurred to me then: it is never the monumental things that break a human being. It is always the sharp point of a minor pain, a microscopic wound, a tiny deficiency that causes a life to collapse.

Pathology Report

The resected tissue was sent down to pathology. A few days later, the report came back.

Meckel’s diverticulum without ectopic gastric mucosa.

In the end, there was no gastric mucosa. Yun-seo’s pain had not been caused by ulceration or bleeding, but by the mechanical intussusception and intermittent obstruction.

"A clean-cut case," the resident remarked.

I shook my head. "No." "Pardon?" "A child's suffering is never clean-cut."

The Recovery Room

Yun-seo slowly blinked his eyes open after the anesthesia wore off. "Is it over?"

I smiled. "Yeah. We got rid of the bad pouch."

Yun-seo managed a faint, weak smile. "Really?" "Really."

The boy drifted back to sleep. I stood there, watching him for a long time.

Surgeons measure success by a flawless operation. But true success is when the patient is finally restored to the quiet grace of an ordinary day.

[Medical Insight] Surgical Management of Meckel’s Diverticulum


[Clinical Proposals]

That night, I pulled out Yun-seo’s drawing once again.

“The Bad Pouch.”

Beneath his uneven crayon strokes, I wrote a single line in small cursive:

“Sometimes the body remembers what time forgot.”


To be continued. "Part II:"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3