[Medical Human Story - Episode 66] Hidden Beneath the Navel — The Vestige of a Fetus Left in a Boy’s Bowel-3

 

 

Part II: Even After Surgery, We Learn What it Means to Ache


The Morning After Surgery


Sunlight was filtering through the ward windows. Making my dawn rounds, I paused outside Yun-seo’s room.

The first day after surgery. For patients who have undergone laparoscopy, this is the most critical window.

Pain. The return of bowel motility. The presence of a fever. Signs of peritoneal irritation. And above all— The look in the child's eyes.

I quietly pushed the door open. Yun-seo was sitting up in bed, looking half-awake. The nasogastric tube was gone. His oxygen saturation was stable.

Yet, the boy was unusually quiet.

"How does your stomach feel?"

After a long pause, Yun-seo answered. "It feels strange."

"In what way?"

"It feels like... the inside of my stomach is empty."

For a moment, I was lost for words. Children often speak with a precision that defies medical terminology. We had merely removed a five-centimeter diverticulum from his body—yet Yun-seo could inherently feel that "something was missing" from within him.

[Medical Insight] Postoperative Bowel Recovery (Postoperative Ileus)


Mid-Morning in the Ward

The nurse gave a warm smile. "Yun-seo drank some water today."

"Any vomiting?"

"None. It went down well."

It was an excellent sign. The first sip of water after abdominal surgery carries far more weight than one might think. Human beings only truly regain the sensation of being alive when they are finally able to eat and drink again.

Yun-seo was holding a paper cup. I smiled and asked, "Does it taste good?"

With a deeply serious look on his face, Yun-seo nodded. "It’s just hospital water, but it’s delicious."

I let out a soft chuckle. The moment pain begins to recede, children are always the first to discover the smallest joys.


The Question the Boy Couldn't Ask


It happened during the afternoon rounds. Yun-seo kept looking as though he wanted to say something, only to hesitate and stop.

"Is there something you're curious about?"

The boy slowly opened his mouth. "Doctor..."

"Yes?"

"It’s never going to hurt like that again, right?"

Diseases can be treated. But human beings naturally crave the word never.

I set the chart down for a moment. "The chances of that happening are very, very low now."

Yun-seo blinked. "But why don't you just say 'yes' right away?"

The boy's question was sharp. I offered a gentle smile. "Because a doctor must never lie."

Yun-seo fell into deep thought, his face serious. Then, he murmured softly to himself. "All the other grown-ups always pretend to be so sure..."

Strangely, those words lingered with me for a long time.


An Afternoon in Pathology


I headed down to the microscope room to review the pathology slides. The pathology professor pointed toward the illuminated slide.

"It’s a classic Meckel’s diverticulum."

Mucosa. Submucosa. Muscularis propria. Serosa. A true diverticulum, containing every anatomical layer of the bowel. However, there was no ectopic gastric mucosa present.

"Clean resection," the pathologist remarked. "But what do you think caused such severe intussusception?"

The image from the surgical field flashed across my mind. A fibrous band. The remnant of the vitelline artery. That structural vestige had been pulling persistently on the intestine.

A remnant from his time as a fetus had reached across ten years to twist the boy's bowel motility. The human body remains far more faithful to its past than we realize.

Insert Figure



Yun-seo’s Mother


I crossed paths with Yun-seo’s mother in the family waiting room. She was clutching a cup of coffee, though it was clear she had barely touched it.

"I heard the surgery went well."

"Yes. He is recovering beautifully."

She lowered her head. "Thank you so much..."

Then, her voice dropped to a barely audible whisper. "To be honest... I used to scold him so much."

I remained silent, letting her speak.

"I thought he was just making it up."

Behind those words lay the universal guilt shared by parents. Why didn't I notice sooner? Why didn't I believe him?

I spoke softly. "A Meckel’s diverticulum is notoriously difficult to diagnose."

"But I’m his mother..." Her eyes grew red and welled with tears. "The poor child told me every night that he was hurting... and I just thought he didn't want to go to school..."

Illness often wounds the family just as deeply as the patient.

[Medical Insight] Red Flags in Pediatric Chronic Abdominal Pain


 

The 2:00 AM Page


That night, my on-call pager went off. “Patient Yun-seo is complaining of acute abdominal pain.”

I rushed up to the ward. Yun-seo was curled on the bed, drenched in a cold sweat.

"Where does it hurt?"

"My stomach... again..."

Postoperative abdominal pain. It is one of the most nerve-wracking moments a physician can face. I immediately examined his abdomen. No rebound tenderness. The abdomen was soft. Vitals were stable. Yet, the boy’s face was deathly pale.

"Should we order a CT scan?" the resident asked.

I paused to think, then turned to Yun-seo. "Have you passed any gas yet?"

Yun-seo shook his head.

Spasmodic pain before the return of postoperative bowel motility. It was the most likely culprit. We decided to adjust his analgesics and IV fluids and observe him closely.

That single hour felt eternal. Entirely too long. Physicians frequently prescribe a treatment called "waiting." But that waiting is always built upon a foundation of profound anxiety.


Shadows in the Hospital Corridor


3:00 AM. I walked the deserted corridor alone. The faint, sterile glow of the fluorescent lights bled across the linoleum floor.

A sudden thought crossed my mind. People often think doctors are unshakeable. But the truth is, doctors are people who walk hand-in-hand with fear every single day.

Did I miss something? What if a complication arises? What if I was wrong?

We live our lives balanced on the edge of probabilities. And every day, we witness the exact moment those probabilities become the reality of a child's life.


Yun-seo’s First Steps


The following morning. Yun-seo began to take his first steps down the ward corridor.

His first ambulation since surgery. The boy's steps were slow, halting, and awkward—but those clumsy steps were the very definition of life reclaiming itself.

The nurse cheered him on with a smile. "Look at you walking so well!"

Yun-seo replied with utmost seriousness. "I feel like a robot."

I couldn't help but burst out laughing. Even in the midst of pain, children never lose their sense of humor. And perhaps, that very humor is the secret to human resilience.



The Boy’s Secret


Late that afternoon, Yun-seo called out to me quietly. "Doctor."

"Yes?"

"To tell you the truth..." The boy hesitated. "I was really scared that I might die."

I looked at him, offering no empty words, just my full attention.

"But I was even more scared that my mom would cry."

In that quiet moment, a profound realization hit me. Children fear their parents' sorrow far more than their own physical pain. Yun-seo was only ten years old. Yet, he was already carrying the weight of worrying that someone else's heart might break.

[Medical Insight] Psychological Trauma in Pediatric Patients


 

Preparing for Discharge


The fifth day after surgery. Yun-seo had progressed to a soft rice gruel diet. Bowel sounds were normal. Abdominal pain had resolved. No fever. We cleared him for discharge.

His mother bowed repeatedly, offering endless words of gratitude. But I knew the truth. True healing only begins once you step outside the hospital gates. Even after the disease is cured, a patient often struggles to trust their own body for a long time. And their family undergoes the exact same trial.


Just Before Leaving


Yun-seo looked up at me one last time to ask a question. "Doctor."

"Yes, Yun-seo?"

"Can I play soccer again?"

I smiled warmly. "Of course you can."

"Really?"

"Just don't overdo it too quickly."

A radiant smile spread across Yun-seo's face. And in that exact moment—for the very first time—I felt the profound certainty that this boy had truly, completely returned to life.

[Medical Advice] Clinical Recommendations for Recovery


On the day of his discharge, just as he reached the hospital doors, Yun-seo suddenly spun around.

"Doctor!"

"What is it?"

"That bad little pouch is completely gone now, right?"

I smiled back at him and answered, "Yes. It's completely gone."

Yun-seo beamed.

But I knew. When we operate, diseased tissue is never the only thing removed from a human body. The terror of those helpless hours. The agonizing pain in the dead of night. The tears shed by loved ones. Only when all of those invisible scars are excised along with the flesh can a person truly be healed.

To be continued. "Part III"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Episode 74] Part I: The Genesis of an Invisible Enemy: When the Body’s Silence Speaks

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_2

[Medical Human Story - Episode 64] Shadows of the Retroperitoneum: 72 Hours on the Brink of Life and Death_3