[Medical Human Story — Episode 78]:Part III: Crossing the Boundary

 


[Medical Human Story — Episode 78]
The Night that Pierced the Chest Wall — When a Single CT Scan Revealed the Hidden Path of Infection 

Prologue | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Epilogue  

 

Part III: Crossing the Boundary


 

1. 2:17 AM


Dawn is the quietest time in a hospital.

It is not the time when people are asleep;

it is the time when people want to believe everyone is asleep.

I was sitting in front of the monitor in the reading room.

Outside the window, it was dark, and in the hallway, only the occasional footsteps of a nurse could be heard.

Then, a page came in.

I looked at the screen.

It was a new scan.

And the moment I saw the chest CT that appeared on the screen,

I froze for a moment.

Left chest wall.

An unusual soft tissue lesion.

And a pleural abnormality extending deeper than that.

I moved the mouse slowly.

Axial.

One slice.

The next slice.

And Coronal.

The relationship of the lesion was gradually revealed.

I muttered to myself,

"This isn't just a skin issue."

 

2. The Patient Called It a "Lump"


In the emergency room, the patient pointed to his left flank.

"Right here."

The doctor asked,

"When did this start?"

"About two days ago."

"Was it this size from the beginning?"

The patient shook his head.

"No. It started as a small bump and kept getting bigger."

He paused to catch his breath and said,

"But since a few days ago, I’ve also had shortness of breath and a cough."

Shortness of breath and cough for about two weeks.

Left flank pain for five days.

And a rapidly growing chest wall mass for two days.

The chronological order recorded in the attached case was clear.

I rearranged that sequence in my mind.

Two weeks.

Five days.

Two days.

Disease does not move like a calendar.

However, symptoms sometimes serve as a timetable showing how far a disease has progressed.

 

[Insert Figure 1]



 3. I Considered Five Possibilities


When a rapidly growing mass appears on the chest wall,

a doctor must not think of just a single diagnosis.

I organized the differential diagnosis in my mind.

Autoimmune pleurisy.

Hematoma.

Mesothelioma.

Chest wall soft tissue sarcoma.

And empyema necessitans.

The quiz in the attached case also presents these exact five options.

To the patient, they are all unfamiliar names.

To a radiologist, however, each possibility demands a different question.

Is this a tumor?

Is it hemorrhage?

Is it inflammation?

Is it infection?

And most importantly:

Where did the lesion originate?

 

4. Find the Starting Point


I told the young doctor,

"Find the center of the lesion."

He looked at the monitor.

"It looks like it's in the chest wall."

"It may seem that way."

I scrolled through the CT.

"However, you shouldn't assume it originated in the chest wall just because a mass is visible there."

He looked at the images again.

I said,

"We must find the origin of the lesion."

A mass can be a consequence.

It may not be the starting point of the disease.

Sometimes what appears on the skin is merely the very last trace left behind.

 

[Medical Insight ①]



 5. That Day, the Patient Felt Unfamiliar with His Own Body


"Doctor."

"Yes."

"I just came in because of a cough."

I looked at him.

"Then why is there a lump here?"

"We need to run some tests to know for sure."

"Could it be cancer?"

The question was completely natural.

When something suddenly grows in one's body,

cancer is the first thing people think of.

Especially with a rapidly growing mass on the chest wall,

the fear is even greater.

I told him,

"We are checking for the cause in the imaging."

He asked,

"Will the results come out right away?"

"I will explain them to you as soon as possible."

He nodded.

Yet his hand kept touching his flank.

 

6. A Single CT Slice Changed Everything


I zoomed in on the axial image.

Then I moved to the coronal reconstruction.

The spatial relationship of the lesion was critical.

Pleural cavity.

Parietal pleura.

Chest wall soft tissue.

Structures that are normally separate appeared, at a certain point,

to be connected as if they were a single process.

At that moment,

the direction of the diagnosis shifted.

From viewing a tumor to viewing the extension of an infection.

I experienced one of the most crucial moments in the radiology reading room:

the moment when the relationship of a lesion, rather than its shape, provides the answer.

 

[Insert Figure 2]



 7. What the Coronal Image Revealed


Axial images show cross-sections.

Yet coronal reconstructions help us understand how a lesion continues along the vertical axis.

I opened the coronal image again.

And said,

"Look here."

The young doctor followed the screen.

"It looks like it's extending from the pleura to the chest wall."

I nodded.

"That is what matters."

The moment you understand the direction of a disease,

the mass is no longer an isolated lump.

It is a part of the path the infection has traveled.

 

8. Boundaries Are Weaker Than We Think


The human body is intricately divided into multiple structures.

Skin.

Muscle.

Fascia.

Ribs.

Parietal pleura.

Pleural cavity.

Lungs.

Yet infection does not behave like an anatomy textbook.

As inflammation progresses,

the normal boundaries of tissue can collapse.

And infection extends along the path of least resistance.

Sometimes,

that result appears close to the skin—

as a bump a person can feel with their hand.

 

9. I Explained the Diagnosis to Him


I entered the room to explain the test results.

The patient and his wife were together.

I sat down in a chair.

"Let me explain the CT results."

The patient looked at me.

I gathered my thoughts for a moment and said,

"The mass currently visible on the chest wall does not look like a simple lump beneath the skin."

His expression tightened.

"Then what is it?"

"We believe it is connected to an infection on the pleural side."

His wife asked,

"An infection?"

"Yes."

The patient asked,

"Is it not cancer?"

"Combining the current imaging and clinical situation, it is crucial to view this as a lesion caused by infection."

He closed his eyes.

And said very quietly,

"What a relief."

 

10. Yet I Did Not Accept the Word "Relief" Immediately


"You shouldn't assume it's a relief just yet."

The patient looked at me.

"Why?"

"Because the infection has extended from the pleura all the way to the chest wall."

He fell silent again.

I said,

"Treatment is necessary."

"Is it very dangerous?"

I said,

"It is vital that we actively treat it starting now."

A doctor must reassure the patient while never hiding the risks.

To provide hope without letting down their guard.

That balance is one of the most difficult parts of speaking in medicine.

 

[Medical Insight ②]



 11. Outside the Treatment Room


The door closed.

The patient was waiting for treatment.

I could tell he was nervous.

"Are you very scared?"

He answered honestly,

"Yes."

"What are you most afraid of?"

He thought for a moment.

"Not knowing what is going to happen to me is the scariest part."

Those words lingered for a long time.

Sometimes the unknown is more frightening than the disease itself.

That is why a doctor must explain—

not because they know all the answers,

but to share what is currently known and what is still unknown.

 

12. Incision and Drainage


Treatment began.

Incision and drainage of the chest wall mass were performed.

This is the actual treatment confirmed in the attached case.

If I were to describe this scene novelistically,

I wouldn't want to phrase it simply as "the moment pus was drained."

It was the moment treatment made direct access

to an infectious space trapped inside the body.

It might have been a brief moment for the patient.

However, for the medical team,

it was the moment when all the accumulated data transformed into actual healing.

 

13. The World Beyond the Drainage Tube


The patient remained quiet for a while after the procedure.

Then he said,

"I feel a bit lighter now."

Hearing those words, I smiled.

"Do you feel a bit more comfortable?"

"Yes."

He said,

"At first, I didn't even know what was inside here."

I replied,

"Now we’ve just begun treatment."

He nodded.

However, in treating an infection, drainage is not the end.

It is a crucial step toward source control.

 

[Insert Figure 3]



 

14. Waiting for the Lab Results


The drained specimen was sent to the laboratory.

And we waited.

Waiting is familiar to the medical staff,

yet long for the patient.

Several hours.

A day.

And another day.

The patient asked,

"Has the organism not been identified yet?"

"We are still running tests."

"What changes when the organism is identified?"

"Identifying the causative agent helps us adjust antimicrobial therapy more precisely."

He nodded.

"So the name of the bug matters."

"Yes."

 

15. A Name from the Microbiology Lab


The results came out.

Streptococcus intermedius.

I double-checked the results.

And explained to the patient,

"The culture test detected Streptococcus intermedius."

The patient laughed.

"Do I have to memorize that name this time?"

"No."

"That's a relief."

I laughed too.

"Yet it is vital information for the medical team."

The attached case likewise specifies that Streptococcus intermedius was isolated from the pleural fluid culture.

 

[Medical Insight ③]



 16. The Longest Battle Started Then


The patient thought,

"Now that we’ve found the bug, I’ll get better quickly, right?"

I smiled and replied,

"Recovery takes time."

"How long will it take?"

"It depends on the patient's condition."

He sighed.

"So I have to wait more."

"Yes."

I said,

"However, now we know what we are fighting."

He nodded.

"That's a relief."

He was right.

Understanding a disease accurately

means finding the direction for treatment.

 

17. His Wife Wrote the Treatment Plan on Paper


"Antibiotics."

She wrote it down.

"Drainage."

She wrote it again.

"Follow-up."

She wrote down another.

And asked,

"Do we need to keep doing this even after going home?"

"You must follow the duration and methods set by the medical team."

"We shouldn't stop taking the medication midway, right?"

"It is crucial not to stop arbitrarily."

She wrote it down again.

The patient said from the side,

"You're more thorough than the doctor."

She replied,

"Someone has to remember."

At that moment, I thought:

A caregiver is often the closest member of the treatment team.

 

18. Night in the Hospital Room


Night arrived.

The patient couldn't sleep.

His wife asked,

"Does it hurt?"

"A little."

"A lot?"

"No."

A brief silence passed.

"Will I be okay?"

The patient didn't answer.

That question seemed like something meant for a doctor,

yet in reality,

it is the first thing we ask the person we love.

His wife took his hand.

"You're going to be fine."

That statement was not a medical diagnosis.

Nor was it a guarantee of prognosis.

Yet that night,

it was the words he needed most.

 

19. A Doctor Cannot Control Everything Either


I left the room and walked down the hallway.

A doctor can establish a treatment plan.

Can choose antibiotics.

Can perform drainage.

Can analyze images.

Yet

how the patient's body will react

cannot be entirely controlled.

That is why medicine

is a discipline of probabilities and clinical courses.

We make the best decisions possible,

observe the outcomes,

and decide again if necessary.

 

20. The First Signs of Recovery


Days passed,

and the patient's condition gradually changed.

His cough decreased.

His breathing became a bit more comfortable.

His pain was less than before.

The chest wall mass also showed signs of stabilizing compared to the beginning.

During rounds, I said,

"You're improving."

The patient smiled.

"Really?"

"Yes."

He said,

"I’ve been waiting to hear that."

 

[Insert Figure 4]



 

21. Yet I Did Not Rush


"Improving" and

"completely healed"

are entirely different things.

I told the patient,

"Showing improvement is a good sign."

"Yes."

"However, it is crucial to carry the treatment through to the end."

"Understood."

"Let us know immediately if your symptoms worsen again."

He nodded.

A doctor must give a patient hope.

Yet hope and letting one's guard down

are not the same thing.

 

[Medical Insight ④]



 

22. From a Certain Moment, the Patient Talked About the Future


At first,

he asked,

"Am I going to die?"

A few days later,

he asked,

"What can I eat when I’m discharged?"

And one day,

"Once I go home, I plan to start with a walk."

Hearing those words, I smiled.

The fact that a person's mind begins to talk about the future

feels like an essential sign of recovery.

 

23. I Looked Out the Window


Outside the hospital,

an ordinary day was passing by.

Cars were moving.

People were walking.

Someone was carrying coffee.

To anyone else, it was an ordinary, meaningless landscape.

Yet to someone inside a hospital room,

that ordinariness

was the life they wanted back.

When healthy, we take

an ordinary day for granted.

Yet after battling illness,

ordinariness becomes the most precious gift.

 

24. The Word "Discharge"


"We’ll prepare for your discharge."

The patient smiled.

"Really?"

"Yes."

His wife smiled too.

The atmosphere in the room that day was different.

The initial tension was gone.

Yet one last time, I said,

"You shouldn't think of this as the end of treatment, but as the start of the next phase of recovery."

The patient replied,

"Understood."

"Take your medications as directed."

"Yes."

"If you experience shortness of breath, fever, or worsening pain again, you must seek medical attention immediately."

"Understood."

 

25. The Space Left Behind


After discharge, the room was empty.

I looked at that space for a moment.

There was nothing on the bed.

Until a few days ago,

someone had been sitting right there,

worrying about his future.

Now he had gone home.

I closed the chart.

And thought:

A person's treatment remains in the records, but a person's life is vastly greater than any record.

 

26. The Final CT


I opened the initial CT once more.

Left chest wall.

Pleural cavity.

And the relationship between them.

At first, the mass had caught my eye above all else.

Yet now it was different.

I saw that mass

as the final scene of the disease.

It was the visible trace

of the path the infection had traveled.

 

27. Questions Left Behind by Disease


Empyema necessitans is not merely a chest wall mass.

It can be a signal

showing how deeply a pleural infection has progressed.

That is why a radiologist

must not stop at "What does this look like?"

The more vital question is:

"Where did it start, and where does it lead?"

Finding the direction of the disease

can change the direction of treatment.

 

28. The Climax Wasn't the Operating Room


I pondered this story for a while.

Was the most dramatic moment of this episode

the moment the incision was made?

The moment drainage began?

The moment the culture results came back?

It was none of those.

To me, the most dramatic moment was

when the patient said for the first time,

"I guess I can go home now."

Because

in those few words

lay a person's entire yearning

to return to the life they had before the illness.

 

29. My Final Words to Him


"Don't ignore the signals your body sends."

He laughed.

"I won't do that this time."

"You promised."

"Yes."

His wife said,

"I'll be right beside him watching."

The patient replied,

"That's even scarier."

The three of us laughed together.

That laughter

was the finest sound I wanted to hear that day.

 

[Medical Proposal]



 

30. I Returned to the Reading Room


Dawn was already passing.

The sky outside the window was brightening little by little.

I opened a new scan.

Another patient.

Another story.

Another question.

Yet I knew:

Medical imaging harbors stories

that people cannot easily see.

Between the shades of white and gray

lies the time the disease has traveled.

And reading that time

is the role of the physician.

 

31. What a Single CT Taught Me


That day's CT taught me three things:

First,

a chest wall mass does not always originate in the chest wall.

Second,

infection can extend beyond anatomical boundaries.

Third,

imaging can show the relationships and direction of a disease before a diagnostic label ever does.

And the patient taught me a fourth:

The purpose of medicine is not to describe an image perfectly, but to heal the person behind that image.

 

32. The Final Sentence


Before shutting down the monitor,

I looked at the patient's CT one last time.

Infection originating in the pleura.

Inflammation crossing the parietal pleura.

And a mass appearing on the chest wall.

The body had hidden the disease.

Yet the CT

revealed that hidden path.

And the medical team

followed that path:

performing drainage,

testing specimens,

identifying the causative organism,

and continuing antibiotic therapy.

At last, the patient

prepared to return to his own life.

I thought:

Disease sometimes crosses the boundaries of our bodies.

Yet humans

recover far beyond them.

And I did not yet know

how many questions

yet another patient I would meet

after this one's story ended

would carry within.

Those questions

would begin anew with the next scan.

 __________________________________________________________________

Part II: The Path Where Pus Traveled☜ Previous Chapter

Next Chapter ☞ Part IV: Back to an Ordinary Day


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[MHS: Medical Human Story – Episode 77] Part II: Where the Stone Stopped, the Bowel Began to Speak

[MHS: Medical Human Story – Episode 77] Prologue: Time Frozen on the CT Screen - A Long Story Written by Disease

[MHS: Medical Human Story – Episode 77] Part I: The Stone That Disappeared from the Gallbladder, the Trajectory of a Life Brought to a Standstill