[Medical Human Story — Episode 78]:Part IV: Back to an Ordinary Day
[Medical Human Story — Episode 78]
The Night that Pierced the Chest Wall — When a Single CT Scan Revealed the Hidden Path of Infection
Prologue | Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Epilogue
Part IV: Back to an Ordinary Day
1. Discharge Was Not the End
People often think of discharge as the final scene of treatment. Walking out of
the hospital room, passing the main lobby, and returning home makes it feel
like everything is over. But as a doctor, I know better. Discharge is not the
end. It is the moment when the site of care shifts from the hospital to the
patient's everyday life. And sometimes, that is when the longest journey begins
for the patient.
2. The Empty Room
The day after the
patient was discharged, I walked past the room he had stayed in. The bed was
made. Scarcely any traces of the patient remained. Hospitals erase a person's
presence with remarkable speed. A new patient arrives, a new chart is created,
a new scan is uploaded. Yet in a doctor's memory, the previous patient lingers
for a while. I recalled the CT scan from that day: a mass on the left chest
wall, and just beneath it, the pleura. At first, they looked like separate
entities, but in the end, it was a single disease process.
[Insert Figure 1]
3. The First Day Back Home
Even after arriving
home, the patient stood in front of the entryway for a while. His wife asked,
"Why aren't you coming in?" He replied, "It smells like
home." "Of course it's home. What kind of smell is that?"
"It's different from the hospital." His wife smiled. "Naturally."
He slowly took off his shoes and sat on the living room sofa. At the hospital,
the footsteps of the medical staff and the alarms of monitors never stopped. At
home, only the sound of a clock could be heard. He remained silent for a long
time, then whispered, "It's quiet." His wife answered, "That's a
good thing." He nodded. "Yes."
4. The First Night
That night, he
struggled to fall asleep. His body had returned home, but his mind was still at
the hospital. What if I have trouble breathing again? What if a fever starts?
What if the pain returns? These questions invariably follow those recovering
from illness. Explaining that treatment is finished and a patient feeling
completely reassured are two entirely different matters.
5. His Wife's Question
"Asleep?" "No." "What are you thinking about?"
"What if I get sick again?" His wife was silent for a moment, then
said, "Then we just go to the hospital." "Is it really that
simple?" "Yes." "Why?" "This time, we know what
we're looking for." He looked at his wife. Her words were not a medically
flawless explanation, but they were the exact courage someone who had
experienced illness needed.
6. What the Doctor Explained Before
discharge, I explained several things to the patient repeatedly: whether
shortness of breath worsens again, if a fever develops, if chest pain
intensifies, if abnormalities arise at the incision site, or if overall
condition deteriorates. Above all, do not arbitrarily discontinue treatment. In
treating infections, a patient must never judge the success of therapy solely
by the symptoms they feel themselves.
[Medical Insight ①]
7. Morning Medication
The next morning,
the patient sat at the dining table and stared at his pills. His wife asked,
"Why?" "It looks like a lot of pills." "Take
them." "Alright." He swallowed the pills and drank some water.
His wife said, "I'll keep track of them this time." He smiled.
"Are you going to keep surveillance on me?" "Yes." "That's
a bit scary." "Can't be helped if you want to survive." He
laughed. That laugh was slightly different from the one I saw at the
hospital—this one came from deep within real life.
8. The Meaning of "Long-Term"
To the medical team, "long-term antibiotic therapy" is a treatment
strategy. But to the patient, the word "long-term" means every single
day. Taking pills in the morning, taking pills in the evening, checking
physical condition, and waiting for the next appointment. Every single day
becomes part of the treatment. Therefore, in chronic or complex infections,
patient compliance and follow-up become vital components of the healing
process.
9. One Morning
A few days later, the
patient opened the window. Morning air poured in. He took a deep breath and
paused. "Are you okay?" his wife asked. "Yes." "Really?"
"Yes." He took another breath. This time, it felt a little easier. He
smiled and said, "I never knew the air could feel this good." His
wife replied, "That's why I always told you to take care of your health
when you had it." "Now I understand."
10. Another Day Begins at the Hospital
While he was greeting the morning at home, I was reviewing a new CT scan at the
hospital. Another patient. Another lesion. Another question. A day in radiology
begins with countless images. But I now find myself thinking more often that
these images are never just pictures. Behind every scan is a person, and for
that person, a single image can be the moment that turns the tide between life
and death.
[Insert Figure 2]
11. Why the CT Scan Mattered
When I first met the patient, one of the most crucial questions was, "Where did this mass originate?" The CT scan played a vital role in answering that question because it allowed us to look beyond the simple size of the mass and examine the relationship between the pleura and the chest wall. The location of the lesion. Its relation to surrounding structures. The extent of the infection. And the anatomical information necessary for a treatment plan. The imaging created a map of the disease.
[Medical Insight ②]
12. What a Radiologist Must Never Miss
I
often tell my junior colleagues, "Do not look at the most obvious thing on
the image first." They look puzzled. I explain, "There is no
guarantee that the most striking finding is the most important one." A
large mass on the chest wall immediately catches the eye. Yet the core of the
diagnosis may lie deep inside it: the pleura, the infection, the continuity,
the pathway of spread. Disease sometimes hides not where it is most
conspicuous, but where it is most deeply connected.
13. The Patient Returns
Weeks later, the
patient came to the outpatient clinic. I recognized him the moment I saw him.
"How are you feeling?" He smiled. "Much better." "How
is your breathing?" "Fine." "And the pain?" "It has
decreased significantly." His wife chimed in, "He even goes for walks
these days." I looked at the patient. "That's wonderful." He
asked, "Doctor." "Yes." "What would have happened if
we hadn't taken that CT scan back then?" I thought for a moment and
replied, "No one can say for certain." He nodded. I continued,
"However, evaluating the symptoms and the mass together at that time to
identify the root cause was crucial."
14. Asking About the CT Scan
"Would
I understand it if I looked at it?" "Professional interpretation is
required." "When I looked at those pictures, I couldn't make heads or
tails of them." I smiled. "We don't understand everything at a single
glance when we first start, either." "Really?" "Scans are
read through years of study and experience." He said, "So it takes a
lot of studying just to read one picture." "Yes." "Then
doctors must have it really hard." I chuckled. "Patients have it much
harder." He shook his head. "No. I believe I survived because of
doctors like you." Hearing those words, I was left speechless for a
moment.
15. Moments When Doctors Learn from Patients
It is easy to think of medicine as a process where a doctor
transmits knowledge to a patient. But in the actual clinic, learning constantly
flows in the opposite direction. Patients do not teach doctors about pathology;
instead, they teach us how human beings endure illness. Even with the same
disease, every person's fear is different, every family's reaction is
different, and the pace of recovery varies. Understanding that cannot be fully
learned from any textbook.
16. A Wife's Words
After the
consultation ended, the patient's wife called me aside. "Doctor."
"Yes." "Thank you." "I only did my job." She
shook her head. "No." She paused briefly. "I was so terrified
back then." I listened quietly. "I thought my husband had
cancer." "That's a natural fear." "But because you
explained things step by step, I was able to understand." She added,
"Not knowing was the scariest part." Those words echoed in my mind: Not knowing is what scares us the
most.
17. Explanation as Treatment
Doctors
prescribe medications, perform surgeries, and order tests. Yet sometimes, the
act of explaining itself becomes part of the treatment. When patients
understand their illness, their fear diminishes slightly. When caregivers
understand the treatment process, they can better support the patient. When
medical staff understand the trajectory of a disease, they can make more
accurate decisions. Therefore, good medicine should not merely treat; it must
help patients understand.
[Insert Figure 3]
18. The Day We Heard Treatment Was Complete
As time passed, the patient completed his long-term antibiotic therapy—a milestone also officially noted in the case records. When I heard the news, I remained silent for a long time. The feeling of joy arrived much more quietly than expected, differing vastly from the smile on the day the patient was discharged. This time, it felt closer to profound relief.
19. Completion of Treatment and Memory
For the patient, the ordeal was becoming a thing of the past. But I remembered
that CT scan. To a doctor, it remains a record of what lesions were observed,
what questions were raised, and how the diagnosis was narrowed down. In
medicine, experience is not accumulated merely by counting numbers of patients,
but by gathering human stories.
20. Opening the Scan Once More
On the
screen, the CT scan from that day appeared. When I first viewed it, I focused
entirely on the size of the lesion. This time, I pondered its deeper meaning.
It was not just a mass; it was a signal sent by an infection within the body,
announcing its own presence. Because the disease manifested outwardly, we were
able to find it.
21. If the Body Could Speak
I sometimes
wonder: if our bodies could speak directly to doctors before a CT scan is even
taken, what would they say? They would likely say: "Look here."
"It started right here." "It is spreading this way."
"It is not too late yet." But instead of words, the body sends
symptoms—coughing, pain, fever, shortness of breath, a mass. The doctor's role
is to interpret those signals.
[Medical Insight ③]
22. Going for a Walk
The patient walked
near his home. Five minutes at first, then ten, gradually extending his time.
He would stop during his walk and look up at the sky. The clouds were drifting.
He pulled out his phone and took a picture, then told his wife, "Look at
this." "What is it?" "The sky." "What's so
special about the sky?" He smiled. "It's special today." His
wife looked at him and said nothing.
23. Illness Changes People
A person who
has survived a major illness is never entirely the same as before. That does
not mean they are worse off. Sometimes, they walk a little slower, look at
their family more often, refuse to postpone health check-ups, and stop ignoring
minor aches and pains. Above all, they cherish ordinary days. The patient was
no exception. Symptoms he once would have dismissed as "probably
nothing" were now viewed with careful attention.
24. I Changed, Too
I changed as well.
Even before meeting that patient, I knew about chest wall masses, empyema, and
CT findings. But knowing and truly feeling are two different things. Since that day,
whenever I look at a chest wall mass, I pause to think: Could there be a hidden story of
the pleura behind this lesion? That single question made my interpretations
much more careful.
25. Familiarity Is Medicine's Greatest Hazard
Similar scans. Similar symptoms. Similar diagnoses. When repeated
every day, humans grow accustomed to them. Yet to the patient, that scan is
their first. That illness is their first. That fear is their first. Therefore,
physicians must maintain fresh eyes even amidst routine.
[Insert Figure 4]
26. The Final Question of the Day
On his final outpatient visit, the patient asked, "Doctor." "Yes." "Is a disease like mine common?" I answered, "It is not a common disease." "I see." "However, just because something is rare does not mean we can afford to ignore it." He nodded. "I didn't know either." "Most people don't." "Then how are we supposed to know?" I said, "If unusual signals persist in your body, getting them checked is what matters most."
[Medical Advice]
27. The Patient's Final Call
One
evening, my phone rang. "Doctor?" "Yes." "It's
me." I recognized his voice instantly. "How are you doing?"
"I'm doing well." "I'm glad to hear that." He chuckled.
"I was out for a walk today and suddenly thought of you." "Why
is that?" "You told me something back then." "What was
that?" "Not to ignore the signals my body sends." I smiled.
"You remembered." "Yes." He fell silent for a moment, then
added, "I intend to live that way from now on."
28. Sitting in Silence After the Call
Outside the window, the night was dark. I looked at the CT scan on my desk and
thought: Perhaps more important than a doctor remembering a patient is a
patient remembering how to live their own life again. At the hospital, he was a
patient. At home, he was a husband. To his family, he was a cherished person.
And now, he was simply an individual living his life once more.
29. Medical Imaging Records Time
A
single CT scan contains anatomical data frozen in an instant. Yet through that
single sheet, a physician deduces time: What came first? What developed later?
Where did it begin? How far did it spread? And how should it be treated?
Therefore, medical imaging is not merely a picture; it is the timetable of a
disease.
30. The Mass of That Day Was Fading
The
patient's chest wall mass no longer existed as it once had. But the questions
left behind by that mass remained within me: Why did it travel to that spot? Why did it appear at
that moment? How quickly did we notice? And most importantly, will I recognize it faster in the
next patient? Medicine does not end with the treatment of a single patient.
Experience becomes true experience only when what is learned from one patient
carries forward into the care of the next.
31. Conclusion
That night,
before turning off the lights in the reading room, I recalled the patient's CT
scan once more: the infection inside the pleural cavity, the evidence of its
extension into the chest wall, and the mass discovered near the skin. At first,
it looked like a terrifying lump. But inside it lay a message—a plea to look at
what was happening within the body. We read that message. We drained it. We
checked the specimens. We identified Streptococcus intermedius. We continued
antimicrobial therapy. And he went back home. That, I believe, is the most
beautiful moment in medicine: not just the moment a disease vanishes, but the
moment a person begins to live their life again.
32. The Value of Ordinary Days
The next
morning, I went to work. The streets were full of people. Someone was waiting
for a bus, someone was drinking coffee, someone was messaging on their phone.
It was an ordinary morning. But now I know how precious that ordinariness is:
breathing, walking, eating a meal, talking with family, opening a window, and
laughing for no particular reason. The patient was reclaiming all of those
things, one by one.
33. The Last Image Remaining
I closed
the day's scan, still lingering on the computer screen. The screen turned black.
I gazed briefly at my reflection mirrored in the monitor and thought: A CT scan
reveals a patient's body, but it does not reveal their life. Uncovering that is
the doctor's duty. Seeing the person behind the image, listening to their
fears, understanding what their family is waiting for, and helping them reclaim
their life even after treatment ends—that was the most vital skill I wanted to
learn as a physician.
34. Opening the Next Scan
A new scan was uploaded. I moved the mouse. The screen brightened. Another person. Another disease. Another story. I slowly zoomed in on the scan and whispered inwardly, What are you trying to tell me this time? Medical imaging began its story once more. And I began to listen. A medical scan captures a disease, but beyond that image, there is always a person. Part IV ended thus. But Elias Lee’s story was far from over.
Part III: Crossing the Boundary☜ Previous Chapter
Next Chapter ☞ Part IV: Epilogue

Comments
Post a Comment